World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Old 5th April 2023, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Inexpensive KEL84 Upgrade

OK, thank you Richard for your kind words and yes I have to admit that I do have a short fuse, I was again in a lot of pain yesterday after a 53 mile cycle ride, right knee now needs replacement, I have a date, 9 may 2023, still no excuse for my outburst, so I do apologise to all and that includes Malcolm. Bob
Old 5th April 2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterc6 View Post
Hi Mark,

The Ei ones from WD. Mullard with both circular and square getters, Cossor.

Malcolm
Malcolm,

Thanks. The reason I asked the question is that it's good to know what brand of ECF80 you thought the E80CFs were better than.

I had no problem with the sound quality of the EI ECF80s supplied with the KEL84, but I was concerned about the voltages being out of the spec in the instructions which I thought meant there was something wrong. I also thought they were too microphonic. The voltage issue was kindly sorted by (Dr) John - there was no problem - the amp checked out fine. Someone on this forum then kindly gave me two Mullard ECF80s. I can't remember if it was to solve the voltage or the microphony issue, but it certainly solved the microphony issue and improved the sound quality. You may therefore also like to try some other brands of ECF80s in addition to E80CF.

Mark

Last edited by Mark; 5th April 2023 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 5th April 2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Hi Mark,

The Ei ones from WD. Mullard with both circular and square getters, Cossor.

Malcolm
Malcolm,

Thanks. The reason I asked the question is that it's good to know what brand of ECF80 you thought the E80CFs were better than.

I had no problem with the sound quality of the EI ECF80s supplied with the KEL84, but I was concerned about the voltages being out of the spec in the instructions which I thought meant there was something wrong. I also thought they were too microphonic. The voltage issue was kindly sorted by (Dr) John - there was no problem - the amp checked out fine. Someone on this forum then kindly gave me two Mullard ECF80s. I can't remember if it was to solve the voltage or the microphony issue, but it certainly solved the microphone issue and improved the sound quality. You may therefore also like to try some other brands of ECF80s in addition to E80CF.

Mark
Old 5th April 2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
OK, thank you Richard for your kind words and yes I have to admit that I do have a short fuse, I was again in a lot of pain yesterday after a 53 mile cycle ride, right knee now needs replacement, I have a date, 9 may 2023, still no excuse for my outburst, so I do apologise to all and that includes Malcolm. Bob
Thanks Bob, I hope your surgery is as successful as mine, I had a total right knee replacement in 2012 and it's been very good indeed. It took me a little while to adjust my Bowls delivery action and everything's fine now.
Best regards,
Malcolm
Old 5th April 2023, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Malcolm,

I had no problem with the sound quality of the EI ECF80s supplied with the KEL84, but I was concerned about the voltages being out of the spec in the instructions which I thought meant there was something wrong. I also thought they were too microphonic. The voltage issue was kindly sorted by (Dr) John - there was no problem - the amp checked out fine. Someone on this forum then kindly gave me two Mullard ECF80s. I can't remember if it was to solve the voltage or the microphony issue, but it certainly solved the microphone issue and improved the sound quality. You may therefore also like to try some other brands of ECF80s in addition to E80CF.

Mark
Thanks, Mark

The build instructions do mention the ECF80 voltage variations and they are not a problem as you say. It seems to be a thing with triode-pentode valves. My experience is that there's less microphony with the E80CF and more space around the instruments and voices if that makes sense.

I've been building electronic equipment for over sixty years now but there's still a lot to learn. I built a K5881 PSE when it came out and still find myself wishing I'd not sold it on. In the last 12 months I've built two KEL84s, a Phono3 with PSU3 and reworked another Phono3/PSU3 pair. Many thanks to all those who helped me with these and a special thanks to Greg and Matthew.

Last edited by misterc6; 5th April 2023 at 07:00 PM.
Old 6th April 2023, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Mark

In the last 12 months I've built two KEL84s, a Phono3 with PSU3 and reworked another Phono3/PSU3 pair. .
That's impressive ! Were both KEL84s for you ?
Old 6th April 2023, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Malcolm et al,
As I said earlier the E80CF and other like valves ie E88CC, M8081 were selected and subjected to all sorts of nasties before being allowed out into the real world. So things like microphonics will generally have been found and eliminated. A lot of them were destined for instrumentation, computers and parts of the military, so reliability was paramount.

John
Old 7th April 2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
That's impressive ! Were both KEL84s for you ?
Sorry, have I been greedy?

Living Room system:

WD KEL84 (E80CF & 6n14nEP valves)

WD Phono3/PSU3 (WIMA coupling capacitors & Sovtek 12AX7LPS valves)

Rega Planar 8 (Clone), Audio Origami RB251, AT-VM540ML with RigB body, Neo, Iceni feet and hub, dual pulley with 2 x Edwards Little Belters, Cherry Audio SS12 Acrylic Platter.

Bluesound Node 2i

Tannoy Revolution XT 6F Speakers

Study/ Workroom system:

WD KEL84 (E80CF & 6n14nEB valves)

WD Phono3/PSU3 (WIMA coupling capacitors & Sovtek 12AX7LPS valves)

Rega P5 RB700, AT-VM540ML with RigB body, Neo, Iceni feet and hub, dual pulley with 2 x Edwards Little Belters, Cherry Audio Acrylic Platter.

Bluesound Node 2i

Spendor S3/5R2 Speakers

In my defence, I put my first system together (Garrard deck plus long-forgotten amp and speakers) c.1962 and it's been a long road getting to where I am now.

Malcolm

Last edited by misterc6; 7th April 2023 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 7th April 2023, 08:28 PM

I put a Cherry Audio Acrylic Platter on my LP12 some time ago, it is VERY good and recommended. Bob
Old 8th April 2023, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
I put a Cherry Audio Acrylic Platter on my LP12 some time ago, it is VERY good and recommended. Bob
Indeed, and they are very responsive when you contact them.
Malcolm