World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 27th February 2006, 03:00 PM
Lord.

Default Re: Bristol Sound and Vision Show

Nice pictures Greg, thanks!

Was the WAD amplifier (6550?) between the 'speakers used, or did Greg's 300B PP clone do most of the work?

What kinds of music were used for the demonstrations?

I read somewhere that news of possible future kits was given at the show, any more details on these yet?
Old 27th February 2006, 03:11 PM

We tried the PSE amp in the centre during setting up but it didn't have the grunt to compete with the row coming from other rooms during the show so we stuck to the 300B PP. Greg. likes high level listening anyway!

Music ranged from Bach to Jennifer Warnes. All of it was thoroughly enjoyable - Dire Straits got one young girl drumming her hands on her knees. Plenty of foot tapping going on whatever we played.

OK, I posted up some future kit ideas as 'on the drawing board'. As well as the floorstanding version of WD25A next month, we've got a KT88 based power amp/integrated coming up shortly, a phono amp (semiconductor based but with some neat gain and EQ concepts and, yes, it will be followed by a valve based phono at some time in the future), a high efficiency speaker (target 94dB for 2.83v into 6 Ohms) and a 'real' subwoofer (one that behaves itself and fills in naturally under proper speakers but that can also be switched into 'AV' mode when you want it).

We're watching the polls on the forum Wish List too.
Old 27th February 2006, 03:33 PM
Lord.

Thanks Peter!
Old 27th February 2006, 03:54 PM

There's no pleasing some people!

Quote:
World Designs were showing a large 2-way standmount with what looked like an 8 inch paper coned bass-mid. Midrange was bad. I heard some awful noises come out of this in my short stay in this room.
http://www.zerogain.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12077
Old 27th February 2006, 04:16 PM
WD Archivist

Hi Neal,

Ah, technobear must be the guy Richard and I spotted, listening intently with his twin NHS hearing aids Anyway, who can take seriously someone who by his own admission is 'off my rocker' and lives on the Isle of Avalon

Best wishes,

Greg

Last edited by Greg.; 27th February 2006 at 08:32 PM.
Old 27th February 2006, 04:19 PM

it's typical of the sort of comment that abounds on ZeroGain, seems to be full of very unhappy people

Old 27th February 2006, 04:29 PM

A biggy of thanks goes to Greg. without who (and without who's equipment) the WD25A demo wouldn't have been the success it was. Greg.'s incredible enthusiasm and devotion to the WD cause were beyond the call of duty and very much appreciated by yours truly.

The most astounding revelation was the 401. For me it was the icing on the cake. Having got everything to sound tonally good with the Michel I persuaded Greg. to remove the record clamp and spindle parts and it sounded more lively if a trifle unbalanced. It then took me half an hour to convince Greg. to bring in the 401 (he was unhappy about showing the scrapwood plinth and experimental armboard) but, when we hooked it up, it immediately brought the rhythm and timing back to life. In comparison my venerable Naim CD3, hooked up with Chord Anthem interconnect, didn't do a bad job though it had a touch of digital 'glare' that made it a relief to go back to vinyl, for me at least.

Grateful thanks also to Dr. John who, as well as being a good companion, fended off many of the technical questions we were faced with about WAD equipment that I haven't yet explored.
Old 4th March 2006, 11:04 PM

Like Basil, we had threatened never to go again, the home cinema boomers are just too much, but after missing last year, we had to go back.
The posts illustrate how personal taste affects choice, we found the WD system a bit too forward, but it was the CD player in use and I have never been a Naim fan, and I tend to sit at least 12 feet away from the speakers at home.
Best system - the Rega
Best component - the Jamo R 909 - we agree we want them, but are arguing about the colour!
Worst part - other than home cinema demos - demonstrators who think their personal conversations are more imortant that letting the public listen to equipment they could well want to buy.
and, the price of vinyl - is Belafonte sings the Blues worth £25?

PS Greg, no model release form for appearing in your picture, but it gave our children a smile!