World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 26th February 2012, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Cd problem help dr john

Well ardee
The lasers for this player are as rare as hen’s teeth if you do find one it will be expensive for sure
The seller of this player said he has a stock when I spoke to him on the phone but he don’t want to sell me one unless I send him the player for repair
Steve
Yep I checked both analogue and digital and same on both how to descried the noise yep difficult but it’s like a mains spark when switching a florescent strip light on a crackle you hear over your speakers
On two occasions it happen badly drowning out the music but the music was still playing ok under this sparkly main interference sound at first I thought it was something else in the audio chain or the house
but its is defo the CD player The funny thing is I have two of these players one from eBay with the idea of spares for the good one but is the good one that’s the problem
As I have said it is odd as the tracking is working fine the fault doesn’t affect it and is reading TOC I even have a new Audiocom Clock to put in it
PS did think it maybe the drive motor as I gather pioneers used brushed motor on this model so this would explain the sparkle sound as you would get from the brushes worn down causing the noise throw the mains i.e. the speaker as spark

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 26th February 2012, 10:55 PM

Is the noise completely random, or does it occur at the same point on particular discs?

What is it like at playing CD-R's?

Is any better or worse if you turn the player upside down?
Old 26th February 2012, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

No it appears random upside done EH can’t do that it is already upside down
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIO_PD_S801 layout 1.jpg (145.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg images 3.jpg (8.8 KB, 13 views)

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s

Old 27th February 2012, 09:41 AM

If it is truly random, I suppose it could be anything. I guess you have made sure the sled moves freely and is not lacking oil and there is no problem with the ribbon connecting the sled assembly?

A player with focus problems will often work OK upside down if a sagging lens suspension is the cause.

Your idea about interference from the motor seems unlikely to me. To corrupt the digital output it would have to be generating pretty strong interference! That is not to say the bearings might not be worn or sticky, though.
Old 14th April 2012, 03:48 PM

Was this problem resolved? If so, I would be interested to know how it was fixed!
Old 14th April 2012, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardee View Post
Was this problem resolved? If so, I would be interested to know how it was fixed!
Hi Ardee
Well after a talk on the phone with our very own WD forum tec Team Dr John and a few basic checks’ and cleans but to no avail however Dr John has offered to check it out and a scope it but I am in to minds about it now
But can say that the Laser is still moving and searching and still has a cherry red beam when I removed it to check if we still had a beam from it so the laser seems fine I feel it’s more likely to be the tracking motor or circuit maybe
I am not prepared to spend £120.00 quid on a new laser but still may send it to john to do his magic on it