World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 17th June 2013, 10:48 AM

Default Re: open baffle speakers or kits

Sure, to reply-

1. Positioning should be fine.
2. Baffle size determines bass response, so to get the same, you'll need to build them the same size as mine.
3. A good quality ply would be the best choice IMHO.
4. Components can be bought to make the crossover yourself.
5. Cost for the drivers I have is about £400. Though now I'd use a Mark Audio Alpair 12 in place of the Visatons. Not sure how much they are.
6. Cost of crossover components- not sure, haven't built any. Guess around 1-2 hundred for good quality bits.
7. Would not recommend spiking, in an OB the floor forms part of the baffle and thus bass response.
8. Not a majorly difficult build, but you need a router if you want to mount the drivers flush, which is the best way.
Old 17th June 2013, 10:49 AM

Rivendell,
the more sensitive any speaker system is the less power required to drive them, that's why I jumped at the chance to buy a pair of AMTs - what a shame the man who invented them died whilst he was working on a full range version.

There simply is no scientific basis for using passive x/overs anymore in any type of speaker - using active x/overs it is the amp driving the speakers which is as it should be. Of course you can use passives with all their expensive components and real waste of energy.

The active x/overs are positioned after the pre-amp and before the power simple and effective.

By using reflective devices behind a woofer simply re-inforces their o/put of course this is thinking outside the box and is NEW.

Rivendell by cabinet you mean baffle yes? I've heard from mates in the US that using transducers actually built into a wall are something to hear, of course this depends on what the wall is made of.

I've thought long and hard about building a false wall aka baffle with the area behind effectively being a small room that could hold the sound system a workdesk etc. It's feasible from a construction point, indeed very simple and using aercrete blocks would form a very good baffle - just a thought.
Old 17th June 2013, 11:25 AM

Ali/Black Stuart

Thanks for the response.

Ali, could you give me approx. dimensions of your baffle to allow us to check whether these will physically fit in the space available.

Can you purchase pre-assembled passive cross overs?

If it has to be active crossovers as stated ( Ali I believe this is what you do) then this will kill the thing of stone dead as he would need new amps etc, as i previous stated his plan was to use and integrated push pull valve.

I can also state before i even mention it, any comments made to the lady of the house which involve false walls for baffles would mean he would be living inside the cavity if you get my drift!!!
Old 17th June 2013, 06:58 PM

Open baffle forum
Loads of info
Loads of experience
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=90.0
Old 17th June 2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivendell View Post
Ali/Black Stuart

Thanks for the response.

Ali, could you give me approx. dimensions of your baffle to allow us to check whether these will physically fit in the space available.

Can you purchase pre-assembled passive cross overs?

If it has to be active crossovers as stated ( Ali I believe this is what you do) then this will kill the thing of stone dead as he would need new amps etc, as i previous stated his plan was to use and integrated push pull valve.

I can also state before i even mention it, any comments made to the lady of the house which involve false walls for baffles would mean he would be living inside the cavity if you get my drift!!!
OB dimensions - H 1170mm. W 510mm for the front baffle. There are legs attached to the back which both keep the baffle standing and act to boost bass response. These give a depth of 260mm at the bottom.
Old 18th June 2013, 09:38 AM

Having lived with open baffle speakers for a couple of years I now find a lot of boxed speakers sound "boxy".

I was at the Audio Talk Owston gathering last weekend where my baffles, Ali's baffles, Steve Shiels baffles and the Quasars of James Doddington were on display.

All 4 sounded better (to me) than any of the boxed speakers being used.

My baffles were used by several different valve amps from my 833a down to an 801a , also a germanium transistor amp (Mike Holmes) and each amp sounded good.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 18th June 2013, 01:31 PM

Goodness, do they still make germanium transistors then? Almost forgotten how heat sensitive they are when soldering!
Old 18th June 2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
Goodness, do they still make germanium transistors then? Almost forgotten how heat sensitive they are when soldering!

They were probably NOS. (new old stock)

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 19th June 2013, 08:03 PM

Smile Re: open baffle speakers or kits

Ali

Some more questions

Did you make these baffles yourself, or did someone make them for you?

The biggest issue i see here is putting together a passive crossover, if you cant get one of the shelf. please remember your dealing with rank armatures here!!

I did read that it may be possible using a good quality caps to protect the full range speaker and no cross over for the bass speakers or have i picked this up wrong.

I think what am trying to say is, is there anyway out there that i could build a pair of baffles?

Thanks again
Old 19th June 2013, 08:23 PM

I didn't build them, I swapped another pair of DIY speakers for them. However, I don't think they would be too difficult to build.

As for the crossover, you have a couple of options. See here for having some built for you-

http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/cros...vices-95-c.asp

The other option is to do as I do and run them actively. All you need is a Behringer DCX2496 and a Tripath or similar chip amp to run the bass. These are tiny amps and can easily be hidden away.