World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Old 8th July 2006, 02:23 PM

Default Re: my wd25a experiences

Sorry if I've missed it, but out of interest, what stands are you using?
Old 8th July 2006, 02:33 PM
graeme

at the moment they are plonked on the floor.
Im going to make stands but wanted to build the speakers first so i can decide what height i need them.
I figure ive got a week for them to run in before i will worry about positioning them properly.

I will probably use MDF or ply for the top/bottom and 4 lengths of 2x2 or larger for the uprights. Or i might use 3 more pieces of mdf for the upright, like another speaker cabinet with no front baffle with the top and bottom larger than the upright (does that make sense?)
I used to make fish tank stands that way and it can be very strong and stable.
I also thought about using building blocks for the upright with the top and bottom clamped by threaded rods going all the way through.
I just want them to be as cheap as possible, but obviously strong, stable and non resonant. Ive been advised to keep the mass down too.
Old 8th July 2006, 07:28 PM

Have you thought about giving these stands a go ?
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/stubby_e.html

Chris
Old 8th July 2006, 08:07 PM
graeme

cool, look good to me ill give em a go!
Thanks
Old 9th July 2006, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme

They look very nice, the darker oil has bought the grain out nicely hasn't it, I like 'speakers' that look like wood.

...can't help thinking that they might hurt your feet and get in the way when you want to sleep though Do you use two beds, one for each speaker?

DTB
Old 9th July 2006, 12:17 PM
graeme

yep, each component has its own bed my litening room is huge!!

My digi cam has no batteries at the moment so to take pics i have to take things to the computer so i can plug the camera in. Computer is in the bedroom.

They seem to sound better all the time. I have them at the right height now, i commondeered (sp) the coffee table to use as a make shift stand. Not very stable, and they are too close together. Ill make stands next week, by which time the TT will be in one piece and the cones will have settled. Then i can assess them properly.
Old 9th July 2006, 06:45 PM
graeme

I guess ive played about 10 hours of music through them so far, and they have improved.
Loads of space and detail, more than my missions but less forgiving of recording quality, they can sometimes sound a little harsh if things get complex in a track.
very nice with simple acoustic numbers though.
Im hoping the brashness will settle as they run in, or maybe once the bass improves it will level things out.

On the other hand, the new found transparancy may well just be showing up weaknesses in the rest of my system.
I guess ill find out in time.
Old 9th July 2006, 06:56 PM
graeme

i'd like to point out that im forced to sit quite close to them at the moment, about 2m. I feel thats too close.
just letting you know so you can judge my opinions better.
Old 19th July 2006, 05:06 PM
graeme

thought i'd post a little update.
Im still usung a crappy cheap tiny 70's sanyo amp as my quad is still in bits
Although kel84 is on the way
Anyway, speakers.

Either they have improved loads, or ive got used to them (i think some of both)
Bass has improved, real deap tones in drum and bass are back.
Bass is tight and punchy and never booms (it used to boom a little if too close to the wall, but no more)
Even with the amp im using they are very impressive.
I love them.
They dont seem as harsh anymore either.
My initial problems were partly down to my amp, swapping amps lost detail but improved 'foot tap ability'.
They swing along lovely.
I will try the quad without the pre amp when its fixed, that may improve things, but im sure the quad will be redundant when kel84 gets here.

Im a happy camper again
Old 19th July 2006, 06:23 PM

Very pleased to hear that you are enjoying them.

All speakers continue to improve rapidly over the first month, then continue to improve over the years. This is for various reasons:

a) initial few hours - the drive units have to stabilise in temperature whenever the speakers enter a new environment. This generally takes 3 - 4 hours of use.

b) initial days - when new drive units have a stressed structure in chassis, voice coil and diaphragm/surround. These stresses need to work out so that the driver takes up its natural characteristics. Just playing music and allowing time does the trick.

c) Initial months - the stresses work out gradually and then the diaphragm and surround and the glues holding them begin to mature like a fine wine. The diaphragm begins to collect dust and atmospheric pollution which acts as a mild damping layer too (Gilbert Briggs, founder of Wharfedale, considered his best drive unit to be the one in the workshop that was coated with a fine film of sawdust). This continues for several years, but the effects are only noticeable in the first few months - after that the changes are very subtle.

d) cabinet and interior damping - the bedding in effects are most noticeable from the drive units, but a similar effect is happening in the cabinets too at a slower pace over a longer period.