World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Old 2nd May 2017, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Punchy bass

Yes, I really came to the wrong place to live back in 1972. I hate the sun/ heat thing, love freshwater fishing ( none here), hate sea-fishing ( too much like hard work) but am vaguely content because there are no hi-fi shops as such so I very rarely change anything in my system. There are a disturbing number of vinyl shops springing up but I steer clear of new LPs on principle īcos Iīve been stung enough. I can understand why living in the UK you are lookung forward to coming over but my idea of paradise is being " down the Trent & Mersey canal" near where I used to live with a rod and reel. Go figure.
Old 3rd May 2017, 08:30 AM

Well, you know the answer then, move back to the good old Britain, where the sun shines only now and then, the winters are bloody cold, and at this moment in time, a stiff cold easterly wind is blowing, . Hey-ho. BOB
Old 3rd May 2017, 12:39 PM

Why is it that we people forget the cold but remember the heat. Itīs all relative anyway - over here, of a winter evening I sometimes feel perished with 12š Centigrade.
Old 4th May 2017, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

1972, that's a long time to be away Van, do you get back at all? As nippers in the 60's we spent many hours playing by the Grantham canal at its Trent Bridge end a bit down from where the Trent and Mersey joins. It always froze in winter and the paper would send a photographer over for a picture. It's still there in pretty good order and I did some pictures for a preservation society a few years ago stood in the bottom of one of the (dry!) locks being repaired
Old 4th May 2017, 12:48 PM

A question for Vantheman if I may.

I'm looking to book a weeks holiday starting 19th May, what's it like in the Canaries at that time please?

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 4th May 2017, 01:24 PM
WD Archivist

Windy
Old 6th May 2017, 12:14 PM

Hi Philip,
very difficult to give a straight answer to your question. Thereīs no such thing as canary islands weather because each island is a law unto itself. Tenerife for example is a mini continent and you can find stifling heat in the deep South,snow on the mountain, drizzle a bit lower down on the North coast, and wind along the South West coast and all in one day.So it depends where exactly you go and of course on which island as not all of them have mountains running down their backbone to catch the clouds.
So, what are you lookung for and which island do you fancy ? As Greg has said it can get windy, especially on Lanzarote and Fuerteventura, hence the kite surfers and windsurfers want no other place. Tenerife and Gran Canary - a bit of everything. La Gomera - wonderful Pine Forests and organised hiking/walks, La Palma - the Canary islanders call it the "beautiful island", more relaxed and traditional, El Hierro - sparsely populated and weird vegetation. very, very slow - good for underwater photography and diving.
But all 7 of them are hi-fi deserts !
Give me more details.
Old 8th May 2017, 08:49 PM

We like Puerto De La Cruz in Tenerife and try to spend 4 to 6 weeks a year there. Often thought about moving but I guess age is against us now and anyway we would then have to find somewhere else to go on holiday.

Always 'breezy' there but like a warm fan so no problem for us

Canaries are great at any time of year (Oct/Nov normally the wet times).

I take you are somewhere in the south?

Mel
Old 9th May 2017, 01:21 PM

In the South ? No way. Jose. I avoid it like the plague. A meaningless sprawl in the hands of tour-operaters and local town councils. Not with a plastic one. No I live in Santa Cruz and work in La Laguna. Totally Spanish ambient and lifestyle.I originally came here to learn Spanish, ostensibly at least, and things got complicated. Iīm pretty much anti-tourism, as in beach and booze, at least from a localīs point of view although anyone who prefers Puerto de la Cruz to the South shows a degree of good taste which is not at all the norm.The island is absolutely choc a bloc with tourism at present but employment and general economic atmosphere is at an all time ebb which just goes to show that tourism figures are not a valid economic yardstick in these days of all-inclusive packages. Annual growth in Spain is supposedly 2.8% which economists say is an excellent figure but unemployment is at an all-time high.
I wonīt go on.
Rest assured that if I can be of any help while you're here for info or whatever to make your stay moré enjoyable I am at your disposal.

Last edited by VantheMan; 9th May 2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10th May 2017, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the info re Canaries.

Her indoors wanted HOT, so now we are going to Mexico.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.