World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Is what it is all about

Old 30th November 2008, 04:35 PM

Default Re: suggestions for vinyl

Led Zep 2
Axis Bold as Love

if they were the only ones you allowed yourself.

Otherwise I'm afraid its Shostakovich for you young man.
Old 30th November 2008, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I do have a fairly eclectic taste in music but for example I don't have any Led Zep, should I have and which one?, also no Hendrix, and again which one to get?, Ry Cooder is a good suggestion I've liked what I've heard,

I quite like late 60s folk, any ideas in that direction?

Right up my street David

Joni Mitchel - Clouds, Blue
Simon and Garfunkel - Wednesday Morning 3am, Bridge over Troubled Water
Cat Stevens - Teaser and the Firecat, Tea for the Tillerman
Neil Young - Harvest, After the Gold Rush
Bob Dylan - Desire, Blood on the Tracks
Al Stewart - Modern Times, Past Present and Future, Time Passges, Year of the Cat, etc etc
Steely Dan - Can't buy a thrill, Katy Lied
Eagles - (first blue) self titled, The Long Run
Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town, Born to Run
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound, Trick of the Tail
Dire Straits - (first album) self titled, (second album) Communique
Led Zep - 2 (all great), 4 (just for Stairway to heaven)
Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
Deep Purple - Machine Head
Lynard Skynard - (pronounced leh nerd skin nerd)
Wishbone Ash - Pilgrimage
Yes - Yes Album, Fragile
Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell
Old 30th November 2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david counter View Post

I quite like late 60s folk, any ideas in that direction?
Oooo yes Mr C,

Try some of the 'spawn' of the late 60's folky scene, the 3 Nick Drake LP's (Five Leaves Left, Bryter Layter and Pink Moon) for starters. Then try some Al Stewart (Love Chronicles, Orange, Past Present and Future) and also loadsa John Martyn, Solid Air is a MUST HAVE in everyones collection (its the law BTW!) plus Bless The Weather, Sundays Child, One World and Inside Out fer starters.

Enjoy!

DTB
Old 1st December 2008, 12:01 AM

good ideas guys,

I just had a look for Electric Ladyland, christ they go for a few bob, I'll have to get a re-issue,

thanks Dave, spose I better start looking for a pink label Bryter Layter, I do like pink labels although all I've got is pink rims,

Old 1st December 2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the bass View Post
Oooo yes Mr C,

Try some of the 'spawn' of the late 60's folky scene, the 3 Nick Drake LP's (Five Leaves Left, Bryter Layter and Pink Moon) for starters. Then try some Al Stewart (Love Chronicles, Orange, Past Present and Future) and also loadsa John Martyn, Solid Air is a MUST HAVE in everyones collection (its the law BTW!) plus Bless The Weather, Sundays Child, One World and Inside Out fer starters.

Enjoy!

DTB
Yo Dave

I can't say as I know many peeps who don't have Solid Air in their collections - that is probably the must have album.

You still lookin' for a copy of Kamawhotsisface ? Are the dogs still out on this one?

Chris

You can't take it with you when you go !
Old 1st December 2008, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by david counter View Post
good ideas guys,

I just had a look for Electric Ladyland, christ they go for a few bob, I'll have to get a re-issue,
Oh, I certainly wouldn't bother trying to track down a first issue, unless you're a record collector. Trouble with that era (late 60's) is that we had fewer records and poorer equipment. Ours were carted around friends houses and played on whatever was available. Most of the first issues will be in dire condition, unlike much late 70's onwards stuff which was bought and played (hardly at all) by the new hifi "male jewellery" owners (not meant derogatory but it was the start of a new consumerism wasn't it). My copy's on cd and, anyway, it might sound rubbish to you without 40 years of association .

When I got back into vinyl I realised that I only want records for the music so I get the best condition, clean them and put them in a new inner and play them. Collecting's not my thing though I can understand folk with their own collections which they've had from new and have memories of buying .

Rich
Old 1st December 2008, 10:03 AM

Easy... Kill to get Crimson by Mark Knopfler...! Stunning vinyl album with equally stunning sound quality. And, whilst I'm on this subject... Rockferry by Duffy on vinyl. Great songs, great sound. Kind of like a cross between Brenda Lee, Dusty Springfield and Amy Winehouse. No...!!! It doesn't all sound like Mercy...!
Original 2008F HDCD Player modified for UK mains: Beresford Caiman: Technics SL1210 MkII/Ortofon OM30 Super/Audioref mat/Aluminium puck: Croft Micro 25 Basic Pre: Croft Series 7 Power: Dali Suite 2.8 Loudspeakers: Van Den Hul D102HB Mk III Interconnects: NVA LS5 Loudspeaker Cables:

Secret Lust: VPI Scout II/Sumiko Blackbird:

Shaunie Boy
Old 1st December 2008, 10:15 AM

It is a bit swings and roundabouts, though Richard. I have an excellent copy on Track of Electric Ladyland and I am stunned by the price that this could fetch. But the more modern Polydor pressing is VERY inferior. I have a heavy vinyl American version which is fine though but blimey! even that is expensive nowadays.

The three LPs, Ladyland, Are you Experienced and Axis Bold as Love are on excellent quality CDs and dead cheap too :-)

Back to Mr Counter, I assumed you knew Al Stewart and John Martyn's Solid Air - Marvellous stuff and very nostalgic.

Of course this (any 1960s) stuff too in excellent condition is very very expensive on vinyl. Alas, I only have CDs.
Old 1st December 2008, 10:35 AM

If you fancy acid jazz and jungle or maybe just something new, why not check out The Quantic Soul Orchestra...??? Or, just Quantic...? Most of his/their albums are available on vinyl from Amazon.
Original 2008F HDCD Player modified for UK mains: Beresford Caiman: Technics SL1210 MkII/Ortofon OM30 Super/Audioref mat/Aluminium puck: Croft Micro 25 Basic Pre: Croft Series 7 Power: Dali Suite 2.8 Loudspeakers: Van Den Hul D102HB Mk III Interconnects: NVA LS5 Loudspeaker Cables:

Secret Lust: VPI Scout II/Sumiko Blackbird:

Shaunie Boy
Old 1st December 2008, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

It's very swings and roundabouts! That's why the easiest way is to enjoy them for their primary function on lp or cd . I've actually been hampered in this by some original mint first issues that have come my way unintentionally. We all hope to recieve a decent copy but faced with original A1/B1s of stuff like Orange and Zero she flies it becomes a hard call to play it! I have and they are superb but I often resort to the cd. Other stuff like Cat Stevens for example sounds better on cd imho. It may all depend on which master tapes were used for later pressings. Which generation - most were copied - and where they got - how old and how well stored - the masters were. You only have to look at old tv shows to realise magnetic tape loses it's information over time so old tapes used today may never make a good modern copy no matter how hard the pressing company tries. On the other hand get any vinyl or cd of Joni Mitchel up to her 80's stuff and they're all good. All those K re-issues from that era were great too and a modern "audiophile" pressing would always be my last choice mainly due to the tape issue.

Ric