World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Problems For questions and answers re World Designs Projects

Old 29th December 2016, 05:44 PM
WD Archivist

Default Re: Kel84 hisssssssssss

Or, Nathan gets it to me and I get it to you, Nigel for when we have an early January session at yours?
Old 29th December 2016, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Nigel,
Yes that is fine with me.

John
Old 29th December 2016, 06:01 PM

Hi Greg,

Fine with that, and I could lend Nathan an amp while John is checking it over, have several spares as you know. It's up to Nathan though but the amp would benefit from a tidy up looking at the photos.

Nigel
Old 29th December 2016, 06:47 PM
WD Archivist

Yes, I agree. Nathan, just making the suggestion as I am also in Bristol, only work two days a week so might be able to help you out if you are a busy person.
I try to meet up with Nigel a couple of times a month. I'm in Frenchay. PM me if you would like me to help and we can discuss addresses etc.
Old 29th December 2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Caswell View Post
Hi Nathan
I am a bit puzzled by this black wire that is not connected, but the other thought is that the feedback wires are not connected obviously giving you higher gain than normal. The other thing that I do not like is the proliferation of chocolate block connectors and long signal/feedback wires close together, a recipe for trouble
Being a rank starter does complicate the issue somewhat as telling you what to do could be fraught with problems.
Is there any way you could get it to me so i can see what is going on?

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylspinner View Post
Hi John,

I could bring it down with me in January if Nathan wants to get it to me at some point, is that ok with you?

Nigel
Hi John, Nigel.

John that's very good of you to offer your services to a new member thank you. I'd like it if someone would take a look, as I said in my opening post I don't understand the reasoning behind the connector blocks.

Nigel, it's very good of you too to offer to drop it off. If memory serves me right 2 years ago you also took my SA9100 to a friend of yours to take a look and it was around this time too.
When were you thinking of going Mate?

Cheers,
Nathan.
Old 29th December 2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
Yes, I agree. Nathan, just making the suggestion as I am also in Bristol, only work two days a week so might be able to help you out if you are a busy person.
I try to meet up with Nigel a couple of times a month. I'm in Frenchay. PM me if you would like me to help and we can discuss addresses etc.
Hi Greg.
This would be even better for me as I'm only in Yate.
I hope no one take offence to this but it just seems much more easier for me with Greg only being 20 minutes away from me.

Would it be ok to PM you Greg?
Old 29th December 2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylspinner View Post
Hi Greg,

Fine with that, and I could lend Nathan an amp while John is checking it over, have several spares as you know. It's up to Nathan though but the amp would benefit from a tidy up looking at the photos.

Nigel
Your to kind Nigel! I do have my Denon AV amp still setup in my rack so I'll make do with that.
I'll pm Greg now and a drop off with him.

Thank you everyone who has offered there time to help me out. I really appreciate it.

Best regards to you all.
Nathan.
Old 29th December 2016, 09:41 PM
WD Archivist

Nathan, no-one is being offended here. We are all linked. Get the amp to me and I'll get it to Nigel who in turn will take it to John. No doubt later, Nigel will collect and get it back directly to you or possibly through me. Not a problem. That's what we do here when we can.

If you want a loan of one of Nigel's amps, I can bring that up to you as well.

I expect a previous owners reasoning behind the connector blocks was that it allowed them to remove the PCB from the chassis without needing to desolder anything. John and others will show you that with a hot iron in a skilled hand, solder disconnection/reconnection is faster than a screwdriver!
Old 30th December 2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
Nathan, no-one is being offended here. We are all linked. Get the amp to me and I'll get it to Nigel who in turn will take it to John. No doubt later, Nigel will collect and get it back directly to you or possibly through me. Not a problem. That's what we do here when we can.

If you want a loan of one of Nigel's amps, I can bring that up to you as well.

I expect a previous owners reasoning behind the connector blocks was that it allowed them to remove the PCB from the chassis without needing to desolder anything. John and others will show you that with a hot iron in a skilled hand, solder disconnection/reconnection is faster than a screwdriver!
That's great thanks.
I'll call Nigel Saturday sometime (if ok with Nigel) then sort something out from there with yourself.

Thank again all.
Nathan.
Old 4th February 2017, 06:39 PM

I just want to say a massive thank you to John, Nigel & Greg for helping me out with my KEL84.
I picked it up off of Nigel this morning and it's now looking and sounding superb.

Thanks again you 3, it's very generous of you all.