General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 27th July 2019, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: The Puffin DSP phono/preamp

Hi Stuart,

I'm not sure any of that has anything to do with the Puffin
Old 27th July 2019, 03:55 PM

The Puffin or something similar is a nec. part of a package to digitise an LP collection to a high standard.
Old 27th July 2019, 05:14 PM

And that's told you Richard . Bob
Old 27th July 2019, 10:41 PM
WD Archivist

Stuart,

I know all the fancy stuff DSP is claimed to achieve. I stream music through Roon so have the DSP option. It’s been tried and no DSP setting is better than getting the system and room right in the first place. It’s an artificial solution for a incorrectly set up room and system, and of course, that means filters. The more filters, the duller the sound.

I suppose the biggest concern is that a credible audio website is promoting this stuff, relying on a contributor who must have a flawed system in the first place. I really do not buy into the bollocks about using DSP to create a period sound or for general sound correction. That in itself is a dichotomy.

Get your room right, get your system as close to right as you can afford and then stop chasing the ‘holy audio grail’ because you’ll never find the end of it. You might, however, as I have, reach a point where you are totally satisfied with your sound. In that contentment, ‘there endeth the lesson’.

I know you are looking for a quality system to digitise your vinyl and frankly I suggest, like I have concluded, just give up. The time needed to do this task is massive. It’ll be a large part of the rest of your life. My solution is to have the best turntable I find works for me (1980’s direct drive Denon DP-80 in a very solid CLD plinth with Audiomods Series 6 10.5 inch carbon fibre arm, Hanna ML cartridge) and then just play my vinyl until I can’t do it anymore. Thereafter I will rely on a streamed system to do the job. At the moment I use Qobuz through Roon. That could change in time, depending on services available. Of course, not all of your vinyl will be available from your streaming source, and you may well prefer the sound of your vinyl on your TT, but my view is, ‘nowt worth doing about it’. As much as you lose library when you go streaming, you also gain a plenty with loads of new material you’ve never imagined. Ok, it doesn’t sound as a good as a TT or quality CDP, but it is pretty good, none the less.

I’m therefore, pretty contented. I happily listen to streamed digital music.

Really, it’s not that bad. By way of example, have a listen to Paradise Radio. Our sort of music streamed 24/7. I use it all the time for background sound. It’s ad free, requiring voluntary listener contribution so I send them a modest sum monthly to help.

Hey, lighten up and have a think about what I have said. Take it on board and bugger, you’ll have time to relax!

Last edited by Greg.; 27th July 2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 28th July 2019, 06:56 AM

A brilliant reply Greg. Bob
Old 28th July 2019, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stuart View Post
The Puffin or something similar is a nec. part of a package to digitise an LP collection to a high standard.

Hi Stuart,

The Puffin doesn't have a digital output as far as I can see so it would need to be fed into an ADC.

Digitise all the vinyl "flat" to its recorded RIAA as putting in any tone corrections when recording would mean the recordings sounding skewed on a future replay system. (Any preferred tone corrections would be made upon replay.)

There's a good recent (2019) "how to" article here suggesting the Rega USB phono,

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/how-...nyl-collection
https://www.whathifi.com/rega/fono-mini-a2d/review

The rest will be down to time and software.

An easier shortcut is to make a FLAC library from CDs which (of course) have already been made from the master tapes by professionals. I went that route, buying the CDs of any vinyls I didn't already have, mostly second hand for a pound or two to add to the library. 300 albums in FLAC takes 74GB so can even go on the phone and replayed with the Foobar app. Once in FLAC it's a few mouse clicks with FlacSquisher to convert them to various quality MP3s if storage is limited
Old 28th July 2019, 10:19 PM
WD Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
An easier shortcut is to make a FLAC library from CDs which (of course) have already been made from the master tapes by professionals. I went that route, buying the CDs of any vinyls I didn't already have, mostly second hand for a pound or two to add to the library. 300 albums in FLAC takes 74GB so can even go on the phone and replayed with the Foobar app. Once in FLAC it's a few mouse clicks with FlacSquisher to convert them to various quality MP3s if storage is limited
I recently swapped my streaming source from Tidal to Qobuz. In the process I lost several albums from my library as Qobuz did not hold them. I just went on line and bought the second hand CD’s of the albums I still wanted to keep, mostly pretty cheaply. Ripped them with DC PowerAmp and loaded them to my digital library. Job done and it took moments. Ripping an LP would take 40 to 60 minutes per album and then you might want to fiddle with the recording to improve it. (remove clicks and pops) Life’s too short. It’s not worth the hassle and the loss of valuable time.

Furthermore, when you sign up for a digital streaming service, weekly you get emails advertising your service providers play lists and latest releases. A great way to discover new music or to grab a recording of an old favourite. It’s a no brainier to me.

Please understand that my recommendation refers to lossless files (flac) only and not anything like MP3. If you believe in high resolution recordings, Qobuz is the best for delivering these. Tidal is well behind here, and Spotify is miles behind.

My hi-fi behaviour these days seems to be using streamed music for general sound, but if I want a really serious listen, I crank up the TT and play a bit of vinyl. It’s interesting that within my regular meets for listening with friends, we all prefer the vinyl version. I’ll keep my old TT going for as long as I can. I personally prefer it’s sound to anything else.
Old 1st August 2019, 04:36 PM

Richard,
the present Puffin is not of interest to me that's why I emailed Shannon to see if he could produce units that were effectively an ADC leaving the personal preferences in digital form and transfering the same via USB connection to FLAC/WAV et al. Stored on an external HDD or SSD x 3 for security and peace of mind. Of course every few years new copies would have to be made but that's easy

Other forums aped the comments on this one aka 'I would never introduce digital **** into my analogue system' etc. etc. However the difference is that many cynics did shell out for a Puffin and from actual experience changed their minds.

Undoubtedly this is a game changer/trailblazer, not just for vinyl but other sources as well.

As to transferring LPs to the digital realm - an average LP is around 45m. I envisage around 8 per week in summer months but around 25 in winter months, a year max to achieve my total. Sad to say but the best vinyl definitely was always classical and a lot of that you can't give away. I can see 4-500 LPs being recycled. For me this isn't too sad because a lot I bought at car boots for 50p - so it goes.
Old 1st August 2019, 10:39 PM
WD Archivist

You’re overly optimistic IMHO, but you’ll inevitably do what you do. Good luck to you. I hope it works out. Personally I think you are chasing too big a project, but give it a go and tell us when you are successful.
Old 2nd August 2019, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Yes good luck Stuart and let us know how it goes.