World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 8th May 2007, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Merrill Zigmahornet

Some comments on your answers...

Hugh's AKSA is nice.

Given the need for simplicity of build, and your SO's comment on Steve's Metronome, it seems that might be your best bet. It is actually just as easy to buid as the zigmahornet (actually 2 less pieces if you don't count the port tube), just requires a different approach with the straight edge. There are more or less optimum dimensions for a wide range of drivers. They are all modern designs (ie the dimensions all come out of MJK models).

If that works for you, then it just comes down to choosing a driver. Given your 1.2 m hieght preference (i call it a preference, not a restiction because Zigmahornet is 1.5m) and the desire for mid/top detail over bass slam, then a smaller driver makes sense.

The drivers (of the currently available) then come down to FE108eS (like Steve's) or FE126/127. The 108 has it all over the stock FE126/127 in the midrange but really needs help in the bass.

Modded FE126/127 come within a whisker hair of the FE108 in the mid with better bass (& top) -- quite satisfying bass into the 50s. The Metronome for the 126/127 is 25 cm taller than the FE108 (ie 1.33 m tall). To boot the modded FE126/127 is cheaper than FE108. Of the FE126/127 the 127 is better suited to the enclosure and is a bit smoother at the sacrifice of a bit of efficiency.

If you want more bass precence and can live with a bit pudgier enclosure, then you can go for a bipole.

dave

FE127 metronome picture attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FE127e_Metronome_1.jpg (64.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 8th May 2007, 07:00 PM

Let me throw one more option into the mix... Mileva was inspired by metronome and was concieved as folded variation with a monolith form factor. By the time Scott finished with the modeling it ended up being either an ML-Voigt or a Mass Loaded BIB depending on your perspective.

Of all the boxes we have ever built it has garnered the highest approval factor from Chris' spouse. Without an add-on base it is 0.83m tall, a 1/3 m wide and 13 cm deep, It can easily be bipoled.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mileva.jpg (39.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 9th May 2007, 03:13 PM

hi planet10,
I'm very interested in the design in your pic.( is it Mileva)
Have you any further details on how to build them.
cheers
Old 9th May 2007, 04:04 PM

3rd box down

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/boxes-fostex.html

dave
Old 9th May 2007, 04:57 PM

Hi Dave, thanks,
very interesting internal design, may just have a little look at making these boxes.
cheers
Old 9th May 2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john & Jake the dog View Post
very interesting internal design, may just have a little look at making these boxes.
There is also a larger version for FE167/207/Hemp FR8 under development (but my personal preference is for the smaller drivers)

dave
Old 9th May 2007, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin.hepburn View Post
Hi all
I am going for the Dave's little frugal horns I am just trying to find someone who can build them for me my woodwork skills is not too good but seeing this Zigmahornet I think even I could build these
is there a version for FE126 as I already have this driver or could you model one room size 15ftx10.6ftx8.9ft speaker firing across room semi dead amp will be single ended seating center about 6/7ft back I favor depth, imaging, midrange with bass that wont dominate the room music is blues/jazz variants
Thanks
Colin
Hi All
This is more for Scott and Dave
I am keen on the idea of a FE126e version of the Zigmahornet but Scott did say that the Q& Xmax on the FE126 is a bit low all though... He has sad he would see if he could come up with some thing similar
An other one of intrest is the FE127e Fonken-tuned floorstander Mark II for it simple build but with the FE126e can it be remodel for the FE126e driver I could use the 127e but I want to use amps in the lets say 4 to 15 watts so would prefer the higher sensitivity of the 126e for the flee power amps
I welcome you help lads on the zig & the fonken MkII
Thanks
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 9th May 2007, 11:30 PM

The FE126e doesn't work in any of the Fonken derived boxes -- i tried. The FE127 is only a dB down from the FE126, and the BSC needed for any but a properly loaded horn for it, will make it less efficient than the 127.

In summary, the 127 is alot easier to put in a box. Going the effort for a 126 horn (if you can provide them with appropriate room support) will reward you with bass that goes almost as low, but with a higher level of finese.

I can't emphasize enuff the need for room support. In my room as it is now configured, the Fonkens out-perform my RonHorn A126s -- but only because i can't get the RonHorns close enuff to the back wall to let them make bass (i am scheming to get new shelves for my wall of LPs so that i can open up the space to get the A126 to the wall.

This will also allow me to take better advantage of the biFonkens when we get them done.

dave
Old 10th May 2007, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Dave
Yep as you can form my post I will be going for you frugal horns with 126e but I just want to try something simple built my back wall is solid brick so thats good speakers firing across the room i will have ago with the 127e fonken mk2 if it going to work in the room size 15ftx10.6ftx8.9ft flooring is carpet and large heave rigs walls have book selfs music rack large couch is about 6/7 feet in front of the speakers

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 10th May 2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin.hepburn View Post
if it going to work in the roomsize 15ftx10.6ftx8.9ft
My room is a complex shape ~ 35'x23' with a vaulted ceiling going from 7' to 17' so any of the FE127 boxes with 4-10w (i'm using 5 at the moment) should be adequate.

dave