World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 25th January 2018, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Life after Squeezebox - any advice?

Richard,
do you have any back-up re. burglary/fire etc. I simply could'nt imagine having all my music on one piece of equipment. The WD My Passport 1TB back-up is around £52.

Think I'm beginning to sort out a viable front end - maybe Nu-Wave Phono converter ADC. DAC - I think I may like the Marantz CS 4398 chip DAC - vamos a ver.
Old 25th January 2018, 10:21 PM
WD Archivist

My roon library (all my digital owned recordings and Tidal downloads) is backed up automatically every four days into Dropbox. All recoverable in the event of a catastrophic occurrence.
Old 26th January 2018, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Yep got around 90GB of flac on the PC 1TB and backed up on a WD 1TB drive and all the CDs

I wouldn't trust web based storage for anything other than short term convenience having been dumped by Virgin/NTL home page web space with no chance of getting the files back. Now I also see a load of empty photobucket image spaces in forums across the web so don't trust others with your data is my advice
Old 27th January 2018, 11:12 PM

MQA, this could be a "game changer" the ability download files which can then be unpackaged through the dac.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/mqa-...can-you-get-it

Had demo at
https://www.imacustica.pt/pt/
Old 30th January 2018, 01:41 PM

Richard,
exactly, my friend whose an IT man suggested just this, he installed dropbox on the s/hand PC he sold me. No way - I want total control of 45 + years of LPs/CDs.

I have no need of any 'new music' I just want to transfer a selection of the music I have to the digital domain with 2 copies. I don't want that stored music in any way connected to the net and possible corruption.

There are many who say that it's impossible to achieve anything like a quality analogue sound, I wonder what equipment they used to attempt the transfer. A lot of positive comments come from those that used SACD/CD.
Old 31st January 2018, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Stuart,
Mine are all FLACs made from CDs and I cannot tell any difference in quality between them when replayed through the same DAC.
I think you may be wanting to digitize vinyl though which is something I've never tried. Maybe someone here has done it?
Old 31st January 2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Hi Stuart,

I think you may be wanting to digitize vinyl though which is something I've never tried. Maybe someone here has done it?
I'd like to try this.

Just wanting to hear about a simple, yet accurate way to do so.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 2nd February 2018, 12:59 PM
WD Archivist

Re converting your LP’s to digital recordings, you might find this article helpful.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/how-...nyl-collection
Old 5th February 2018, 12:15 AM

Greg,
saw that some time ago but that kind of set-up isn't going to go anywhere near replicating the quality of vinyl playback.

I have a Kevin Edwards MC3 phono stage, you can really dial in your cartridge to perfection. For me the whole process has to begin with a really good ADC. Many reviews working with CD/SACD, not so many with vinyl.

The draw has to be not having to store hundreds of LPs, no more turntables/phono stage/constant use of an RCM. I'm moving from a burglar free environment to a town. The world and it's mother knows that LPs are now very saleable and I have a collection worth a lot of money.

Now imagine having got rid of all that, with money in the bank and all that music stored in a simple little hard disc with 2 more copies, one safely stored with a friend - fire, theft - the speakers, amp, mini silent PC, small monitor all easily replaceable and covered by insurance. Ever tried to insure your vinyl, have you got receipts for all of them, I know I havn't, plus how hard will it be to convince an insurer of present day replacement value. A lot of my vinyl came from car boots, some worth serious money which is what I would have to pay to replace.Worth thinking about.
Old 5th February 2018, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Good link thanks Greg. Anyone actually done this?

I had thought about it but decided my efforts and patience wouldn't match what a pro engineer had already done from the master tapes. So I just bought CDs second-hand for a couple of pounds and made flacs from there. CDs are very cheap second-hand now. Granted there may be some recordings that are hard to get but not many.