World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 22nd August 2007, 10:30 PM

Default Re: sensitive speakers ahh.

They're enough to make most amps wave the white flag.
Old 23rd August 2007, 12:12 AM

It very much depends on how you listen, your expectations, and what aspects of performance you are prepared to sacrifice IMHO.

LS3/5a's with low powered push pull can make beautiful sounds despite tiny, heavy driver, complex crossover, low sensitivity (thankfully as if this had been decent they would have had no Bass) and closed box operation.
Weight, scale, dynamics, immediacy are not even on then menu.

Even more extreme we have the pairing of evil load 79db Quad 57 matched to weedy 11w-15w Quad II's (with their so so output transformers) for a match made in heaven (for some).

However
If you wanted something even approaching realistic levels or even half decent stab at dynamics you would rate these combo's as incredibly poor, certainly in no way hifidelity today.

Some would regard the Quad pairing as the ultimate in hifi others could quite legitimately argue that such a system can no longer even be considered Hifi.

The latter group probably live in large detached homes and like to play loud.

The former group wishes to experience (or can live with) a system that allows them to hear a natural acoustic with accurate tone from a hear through performance, free from any harshness.

Of course we all want it all, but usually something has to go, even if you have really deep pockets.

I am constantly impressed by how well the WD25a's handle every type of music with aplomb.
Usually some speaker flaw has become something of an irritation by now, this has not happened with these beauties with more than 12 months constant use. This is highly impressive considering their price and Peter's work to make the standard tweeter work with such a large Bass/mid cone.
Perhaps it was price snobbery or British press ignorance that has left their (spiritual?) predecessor the Dynaco A25 nowhere on any classic hifi list despite mega sales in the USA.
Old 23rd August 2007, 01:49 AM

Also remember that, with many people having their home stereo doing double duty in Home Theatre installations, the combination of low impedance and Steven Spielberg can be an utter disaster. I've blown up an amp that way, so in my book "easy to drive" is a necessity these days.

Hal55
Old 23rd August 2007, 06:33 PM

This is certainly true. AV amp's often don't like the tiny little 4 ohm sat's they are typically partnered with, especially if driven hard.

The load presented by the WD25's is perfect for optimising the performance from already overburdened power supplies in the more affordable AV amp's (assuming they are of a decent quality in the 1st place).

Anyone might think i'm a covert operative in World Designs marketing dep't.

Sadly you would have to be the all time God of persuasion if you could get 5 WD25's past the ball 'n' chain into any British lounge.
Old 24th August 2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobblers View Post
The latter group probably live in large detached homes and like to play loud.

The former group wishes to experience (or can live with) a system that allows them to hear a natural acoustic with accurate tone from a hear through performance, free from any harshness.

Do you mean the size of your house probably determine's the sound quality/ type of sound/ volume levels you like?
and the bigger the house the worse you like it.. ummm!

every time i've done a major upgrade i think 'that's it'.. then after a few week or months you hear some thing that make you realise there's some way to go still..

listening to, and identifing flaws in a system is quite a skill..

and one that i'm very much still learning....

remember the wd25's are a good speakers, like the the kel 84, a good intro into the world of diy, and the cost and quality advantages above most shop brought hi fi..

but there is still some way to go (if you want to of course)!!
with or without deep pockets!

but being happy with what you have, is probably the best state of affairs to be in

cheers steve

Last edited by steve s; 24th August 2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old 24th August 2007, 10:45 AM

but being happy with what you have, is probably the best state of affairs to be in

cheers steve[/quote]

Hi all-being happy with what you have is one of the secrets of a happy life !

It may not be good in a consumerist society for the manufacturers and sellers though !

Philip

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 24th August 2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
Do you mean the size of your house probably determine's the sound quality/ type of sound/ volume levels you like?
and the bigger the house the worse you like it.. ummm!
Steve,

I would have thought I made this clear enough.

Quad II or Kel 84 will not play loud enough for those expecting genuine realistic SPL's, especially if the user is not prepared to put up with horn colourations.
This does not however make them overall inferior components to a 500 watt behemoth that will not clip at mega volumes in large homes. They will play more than loud enough for most with 88db plus speakers.

Music and Hifi enthusiasts with smaller homes may have to tailor their tastes to a different set of values. To a certain extent this is decided for them by their environment.

Rooms determine what speakers and amp's work, and often what SPL's are acceptable (sonically and socially) or desirable.

Of course WD25a's are not the last word. They probably are at their price though for a good many peoples requirements.
I have heard, owned and used a great deal of Hifi speakers, many of them classic designs (Pro monitors, BBC designs, electrostatics, high sensitivity, low sensitivity, some commercial hifi designs etc) and do not find the 25's wanting, even against vastly more expensive competition.
They are never going to sell in telephone numbers, obsession with styling "lifestyle product" expectations and the draconian control over male purse strings will see to that.

For my circumstances currently I am blissful, despite a lack IMHO of (absolute) ignorance.

I suspect (but have not confirmed) that the WD25's probable absolute weaknesses/limitations lie more with power handling than resolution.
The modest magnet on the bass driver probably is not best suited to users who like PA volumes in larger rooms for instance.
It is not a speaker with mini monitor pin point imaging, it is merely very good in this area.
It is also not a speaker for really deep bass freaks, either in Floorstander of standmount form. If it was it would not have the bass control and mid detail (a sacrifice I like).
It is not the best speaker for second rate recordings either, and lets you know about faults on many recordings, for that reason many would not like what they hear with these.
Old 25th August 2007, 01:52 PM

Since Cobblers has used electrostatics as well, how well do the floorstanding WD25s (Excel tweeter version if you've heard it) do the eerie, see through transparency, hanging images palpably in the air electrostatic thing?

Hal55
Old 25th August 2007, 06:31 PM

Hal55
Electrostatics, especially Quads do that better than any box speaker period.

I have heard Both versions and both WD25a tweeter options do that excellently for box speakers.

The images are large and clearly positioned within an open soundstage like panels.
Panel speakers do not do the mini monitor pin point imaging thing either.
Old 26th August 2007, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the input. The Excel versions are a fairly substantial 180 pounds extra, how would you sum up the improvements that this tweeter brings and does the improvement extend down to the area of human voice?

Thanks again,

Hal55