World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Other Parts and Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Other Parts and Projects All other WD Parts and Projects

Old 22nd June 2016, 08:55 AM

Default Re: WD SUT's

Sorry to go on about this small, but annoying problem, another thought here, I am considering removing the SUT from the phono case, and fitting them into a outboard case, has anyone done this? it may be better to get to transformers away from the electronics of the phono, this just might make them sound a little better. BOB
Old 22nd June 2016, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Morning Bob. By, small but annoying problem, do you mean the sound of your phono or the SW response?

If you mean the SW response don't worry, a TX will not do SW easily due to phase and bandwidth limitations. Check it at 1KHz SW for a decent SW with little distortion, overshoot, or ringing, as suggested, then on sine wave at higher and lower F for bandwidth and clean wave form. Run sine wave down to DC and up to 100KHZ and you'll see the bandwidth and any peaks in the amplitude of the wave. Check your gen, scope and cables for a flat response first without the TX to be sure they aren't causing signal loss.

If you mean the ss head amp sounds better then use it instead. In the 70's when MC carts were becoming popular again it was widely acknowledged that a good active head amp was better than most TXs. In the case of Ortofon for example their inline TXs were a budget option to their active head amp and other head amps were considered better still. Whatever, bottom line must surely be to use what sounds best or matches/balances the system regardless of type.
Old 22nd June 2016, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Bob, Richard et al,
Absolutely no reason why you cannot fit the SUT externally.
Metal case for electrostatic screening, shortish leads between SUT and phono stage well screened, rotate SUTs individually for minimum electromagnetic hum pickup from any other power transformers in the vicinity, make sure SUT cases are earthed obviously.
Try it and see, then let us know how you have got on.

John
Old 22nd June 2016, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Indeed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stepupbox.jpg (24.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg stepupinside.jpg (31.8 KB, 48 views)
Old 22nd June 2016, 01:26 PM

Richard / John, I mean the sound from Phono using SUT, is slightly harsh on some records compared to the Pickering. I have run from 10Hz to 100K Hz, sine wave this morning and the wave form is good, so I now will remove the SUT from the Phono and fit in a metal box, to see if that improves things and will report my findings. Thank's both of you. BOB
Old 29th June 2016, 04:15 PM

Hi all, a couple of days ago, I removed the SUT's and mounted them in a steel box, no change in sound at all, now, tomorrow I will be ordering a Headspace, head amp from Andrew Rothwell, it reads very promising with 10, 20, 25, and 27dB settings and 8 input impedance settings, he also offers money back if I am not happy, so, I will report back latter. BOB
Old 29th June 2016, 06:20 PM
WD Archivist

I'll be interested in your findings, Bob.
Old 18th July 2016, 05:20 PM

The AR headspace came last week, a very small neat box with a blue LED on front panel, so, I left it at the default settings 20dB gain and 100 ohm load switched my Phono over to MM input and sat down to listen, immediately I noticed more detail than with the SUT's, but sadly it made the sound worse, too much emphasis on the high frequency, I tried different loads and gains, but sadly not for me, it would suit a dull sounding system I am sure, so, it's back to the SUT's for now. BOB
Old 21st July 2016, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Bob thanks for the update. A few thoughts. All your gear is familiar to many of us, except the speakers, and none is known for being particularly bright so are the speakers/room the problem do you think? Possibly they have qualities you are reluctant to give up?

I've had marmite systems (mine - not saying yours is ) which were fantastic with some records but unplayable with others. I accepted the system was adding something it shouldn't but it was still difficult to lose the excitement on some records and make the system more neutral.

Indeed, I went too far the other way for a while but it's surprising how you can adjust to these things if you fight the urge to switch back immediately. Once I'd re-adjusted away from the old exciting (on some records) sound and tweaked the new system a bit it was a much more relaxing experience and many more records became enjoyable.
Old 21st July 2016, 12:14 PM

Thank's for the response Richard, the speakers are Monitor Audio PL100, they were here when you came to pick your speaker bases up from me, yes they are very reviling, but with any digital source they are excellent and no harshness at all, as you have said, with some records the sound is fantastic, and others, not so, I have tried more gentle sounding speakers, but always return to the MA's, I also have a pair of Mission 751's, and even they sound harsh, also, I had a pair of Rogers LS3 5A that were too bright sounding, they were sold 2 years ago for £1620.00 , it may be that my problem records are damaged, worn or badly recorded, but I shall keep trying to sort the problem, on the other hand, it maybe that my hearing is deteriorating, . BOB