World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Old 21st February 2015, 04:14 PM

Default Re: WD25T and fire surrounds

Graham, this IS a hi-fi forum, but Bob was only trying to be helpful.

We are a friendly bunch and try and help each other out, so please don't "bite".

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 21st February 2015, 04:28 PM

Here is an active link to the fire surround.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brazilian-...m259dbb%201aee

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 21st February 2015, 04:28 PM

OK, if we must return to Hi-Fi, although I like a good argument, If you want a more sensible answer, I think that your choice of speaker placement will not sound good, for one they are too close together, this will make for a very poor sound stage, but it seams that you have decided on that position, so we must accept it, hope the chimney breast dose not fall down, sorry, my only suggestion is to cut a large hole in the front covering, and fix some speaker grill cloth over the opening, I assume that the speakers will be covered completely. This also may not be what you want, but a friend of mine lives in a house with a almost triangle shaped room, he tried for a long time to get a good sound from speakers, until I lent him my Stax ear speakers, he now has no speakers, just a good head phone set up, can I hear something creaking. BOB
Old 21st February 2015, 04:30 PM

Just seen Philips post about the surround, think that the phone are winning. BOB
Old 21st February 2015, 04:41 PM

Hello Graham,

Don't forget that you are new here and none of us know what your building skills are like. Bobs comments were born out of concern for your safety, not rudeness.
As for your problem, the only thing I can imagine is some kind of modern design incorporating large circles, some of which are cloth strategically placed over the drivers, but looking at the ebay mantle, this may not be the style you are after.

Phil.
Old 21st February 2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
OK, if we must return to Hi-Fi, although I like a good argument, If you want a more sensible answer, I think that your choice of speaker placement will not sound good, for one they are too close together, this will make for a very poor sound stage BOB
Apologies for being prickly - I don't mind people believing me an idiot (and I am the first to agree!) but I had two brickies (one for Northern Ireland and the other from the south which didn't help progress!) who laid most of the brickwork but the rest of the build was mine. Yes - I'm a cowboy but a good one! The only criticism the Building Inspector offered was that I had over-engineered in respect of the whole building.

Now, I have admitted having cloth ears. The last test I had showed an almost total cutoff at 800Hz! Thus I have to rely on others' judgements.

I understood an ideal separation was 72" (1828.8 mm in French). These are spaced 62" which is dictated by the room and display cabinet size.

They have been in situ and cosmetically embarrassing for years and they cannot be moved.

The performance is what it is. My question is just how to disguise those holes.

Gauze and fretwork seem to be the only options.
Old 21st February 2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
Hello Graham,

Don't forget that you are new here and none of us know what your building skills are like.

Phil.
(My profile shows a join date of 2006!).
Old 21st February 2015, 06:35 PM

OK, so you are not technically "new" here.
I was going by your number of posts which is surely what is relevant to my point.

Phil.
Old 21st February 2015, 07:10 PM

Graham, are you saying that you can not hear much above 800 Hz or below 800 Hz, I think most on here can hear around 20 - 15000 Hz, may be even higher or lower, I feel for you chap. BOB
Old 21st February 2015, 09:20 PM

For what theyīre worth, I knocked these up out of mdf with an oatmeal coloured cloth for mine although I never used them after SWMBO said, and I quote : "why bother.- all speakers are eyesores - you canīt make them look good."

http://s524.photobucket.com/user/Van...?sort=3&page=1

I ,ust admit didnīt much like their looks, I suspect because of the light coloured lacquered boxes although similar shaped "blobs" donīt look too bad on some Neat or Kudos speakers I have seen but they are in a black stretched cloth with veneered boxes. In your case I reckon 2 blobs or even rectangles in a very dark retro cloth wouldnīt look too amiss.
By the way I didnīt fancy using velcro so they are fixed with tiny cylindrical magnets which coincide with the driver fixing screw heads. Dead easy to remove for listening and equally easy to replace afterwards.

Last edited by VantheMan; 21st February 2015 at 10:15 PM.