World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News News from World Designs

Old 14th February 2008, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Bristol Hi-Fi Show, 22nd to 24th Febuary 2008

Hi Greg,

Asked around and myself, GerryB and Jonny will be down on Friday if you will be so good as to book us in please. We look forward to it

Rich
Old 18th February 2008, 11:57 PM
NickB

Hi Greg

As requested in my thread I shall be there on Friday. Looking forward to an interesting and capacitive discussion !!!

Nick
Old 19th February 2008, 12:16 AM
WD Archivist

Hi Nick et al,

In the next couple of days I'll publish the location for lunch. The place we used last year has close down. I've got another close place to use but just need to touch base with the landlord first. Once done I'll publish all you need to know.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 20th February 2008, 06:49 PM
WD Archivist

It looks like there will be eight of us for lunch on Friday, but only three of us for Saturday and Sunday. If Richard Higgins and Roger A could speak with me on the Sat/Sun morning we can plan lunch on those days.

The place we used last year is currently closed so this Friday I've booked a table at The Old Market Tavern on Old Market Street. We will meet from 12.30pm. A good reasonably priced meal (including vegetarian options) is available. Real Ale is on tap. The atmosphere is quiet allowing good conversation, and you'll save a shed load of money and get better quality and quantity compared with refreshing at the show.

The Old Market Tavern is about three minutes walk away. To find it, exit the show by the main entrance and turn left. Walk ahead keeping the hotel building line on the left until you reach a roundabout. Cross the roundabout by the walk way and cross onto the left side of Old Market Street directly ahead. The Tavern is a few yards up on that side.

Don't forget if you plan to re-enter the show after lunch, to declare your intention at the show reception desk as you leave. They will mark your hand with a UV pen or something similar as proof of your entrance payment which will allow you automatic re-entry.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 21st February 2008, 12:41 AM

Hi Greg
I'm definitely not going to be able to make it I'm afraid.
Have a good time everyone who's going - the pub lunch is the highlight for me (when i can make it)
Cheers
Max
Old 21st February 2008, 09:40 AM

I'm out as well, sorry. However, I would appreciate it if some of you could just pop into the AVI room and give a fair and honest assesment of any dem...curiosity has got to me but I won't be able to attend.....thanks!
Old 21st February 2008, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealG View Post
I'm out as well, sorry. However, I would appreciate it if some of you could just pop into the AVI room and give a fair and honest assesment of any dem...curiosity has got to me but I won't be able to attend.....thanks!
Ah, thinking of going mp3 eh?
Old 21st February 2008, 11:25 AM

Not while I can still draw breath!!

Just curious that's all....
Old 23rd February 2008, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator

Default Bristol Show

A very enjoyable day thanks to meeting up with several members of the forum and an excellent lunch thanks to Greg's organisation

Far less tellies than previously and generally quieter which may be due to being first day/Friday.

Many 2 channel rooms. WD room was busy and produced fine sound, almost the best, shaded only by the HIAudio room with the magnificent Usher speakers well set up and driven by a very nice vinyl front end.

Neal, AVI offer an alternative to traditional hifi. It was suggested to me that I was listening wrongly as I was used to hifi. I think I can see what they're saying; I'm set in my ways and theirs is not hifi as we know it. It gives a prod for the imagination rather than any sense of realism. That philosophy (with regard to playing music for most people) may or may not be right but here they really were like shandy drinkers at a real ale meet; their arguement may be good but they were in the wrong company.

Don't miss those 3 rooms if you're going and see what you think!

Naim was pleasant, even enjoyable in 2 rooms (of 4!). They assured us the Aro arm is still being made so take along your £1600 if you fancy one. Tannoy too was very good, lively enjoyable sound, but Kef are sadly not what they once were on this showing. PMC only had TL's there which produced a detached and overblown bass, maybe the room or music didn't help.

No horns, electrostatics or other valve gear of note, ah well, enough for a day

Rich
Old 23rd February 2008, 10:58 AM

Great day yesterday, Friday. It was good to put faces to names from the BB. Thanks for organising the pub lunch, Greg. Great fun. See you all next year, if not earlier.

Guy