World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > Members > BB Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BB Problems Report and Reply on any problems using this Bulletin Board

Old 22nd November 2006, 01:14 AM

Default Re: New forum catagories

Hi-if we only chatted about WD gear it would be BORING.

It is the great diversity of audio matters (and others) that make this forum what it is,and makes me want to come back again,and again,and again (ad infinitum) so i can broaden my knowledge and chat with those who i can now put a face to thanks to the Egg 4 fest (would you ban those as well ?).

All in my opinion,of course.

Philip

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 22nd November 2006, 01:41 AM
Lord.

Lightbulb Less forum categories!

But can you not understand that if the forum becomes overcrowded with the stuff you like to chat about (Motorbikes, PC Audio, Fullish-Range DIY 'Speakers, Scratchbuilt SE amplifiers, etceteras) that it distracts from the raison d'etre of the forum?

I know that some people like the 'clubby' atmosphere typified by the get togethers, but look at EF4 was any World-Designs equipment heard there, let alone sold!?

Overcrowding the forum with talk of everybody's individual hobby really does dilute and distract from what should be the core content - WD products.

People may come on here interested in buying a WD amplifier and 'speaker, but if all they can read about is scary looking homebuilt amplifiers and non-WAF pipes/horns it could lead them to believe that WD gear is not worth talking about ...

Why would anybody be happy to let that happen?
Old 22nd November 2006, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator

Hi All
I have to agree with Pre 65 and others this forum is great just the way it is i to have gained knowledge and help from others still learning lots long may this continue

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 22nd November 2006, 02:33 AM
Will Cowen

Lord,...."World Designs Projects
For discussion of all World Designs Projects"
Hope this helps.
Maybe this forrum is keeping WD informed of the direction of DIY.
Old 22nd November 2006, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator

Hi All
Well I Would like to see more WD stuff talked about here But as WD have still to build up there stocks of parts and add some more Amp Kits so far I have only bot the WAD phono PCBs from WD I am about too start building my 2A3 Amp if WD had a kit I then would have delt with them But I have to go to other suppliers
I know most of us voted on hear for what kits we wanted to see WD do
But so far I have not seen one I now it will take time to develop some kits
Probably some of the resions for some members building there own amps

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member

Last edited by colin.hepburn; 22nd November 2006 at 03:19 AM.
Old 22nd November 2006, 09:01 AM

Hi-if world designs were to sponser a Fest and have its kit on display then that would be good,BUT as far as i know there was NO WD input in the Egg 4 and the opportunity to participate was not used.

I cant believe any real hi-fi enthusiast would want to decimate what MOST of us have come to enjoy.

WE ARE THE FORUM and i am sure the hi-fi scene is better for it.

Philip

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 22nd November 2006, 09:25 AM

Looking through Peter's postings, I notice that he is more than happy to participate in off-topic threads. As the host and administrator of the BB, I'm quite sure that if he felt that it was heading in a direction that did not serve WD's wider interests, he would do something about it. As it is, he has a massive resource to draw on here, and it can only be to his advantage to make sure that the members wish to stay.
The fact that 80% of the discussion on this forum is not directly about WD products isn't relevant or important. The fact is that if that 80% wasn't here, the remaining 20% wouldn't be either.
Don't forget that WD gets more direct benefit from this forum than any of it's individual members. There is no better marketing tool than personal recommendation. If the cost of putting personal recommendation before the wider public on the internet is that it has to be accompanied by a great deal of knowledgeable, informed comment about hifi and a lot of ignorant, biassed, often funny, occasionally poignant comment about life in general, then it's a bargain indeed!
Old 22nd November 2006, 09:36 AM

Until WD has a bigger range of products, then there is little to discuss in that area.

Without the other topics there would little point in being a member.
Old 22nd November 2006, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Less forum categories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord.
But can you not understand that if the forum becomes overcrowded with the stuff you like to chat about (Motorbikes, PC Audio, Fullish-Range DIY 'Speakers, Scratchbuilt SE amplifiers, etceteras) that it distracts from the raison d'etre of the forum?
So why did Peter put forums on dedicated to DIY amp designs and speakers if he did not want this sort of stuff to be talked about?. If I were in the hi-fi business I would definitely want forums like this as the ideas and experiments the members carried out would give me plenty of food for thought about possible new products. The odd meander down the path of bikes PCs etc would be a price worth paying for the other ideas generated It's what's called involving your audience.

Quote:
I know that some people like the 'clubby' atmosphere typified by the get togethers, but look at EF4 was any World-Designs equipment heard there, let alone sold!?
There is nothing remotely clubby about the EggFests. They are the very antithesis of clubbiness. Anyone who wants to participate is welcome to come along and have a damn good day out. There are no cliques.

There were WD products at WhitamFest and Peter is going to the second one too.

Quote:
Overcrowding the forum with talk of everybody's individual hobby really does dilute and distract from what should be the core content - WD products. Why would anybody be happy to let that happen?
Products, products, products.....consume, consume, consume.

Why does everything have to be about "core values" "core content"
"core porate"
What sort of management speak is that then?
I for one am sick to the back teeth of this bullshit which is why I got into this forum in the first place.

This is a tiny corner of a niche area so what's to be gained by alienating the very people who make this neck of valve audio the vibrant scene it is.

If people want to talk about consumer hi fi they can go join the Hi-Fi choice forum.

IMO I dont think Peter is remotely bothered about "core content".
He's an enthusiast like everyone else on here and having spoken to him at WhitamFest one, I believe he wants to develop, to quote Steve Jobs "insanely great" products. Products that are easy to use and look and sound fabulous.

Individual is the operative word here Matt, We are not blinking drones.

Quote:
People may come on here interested in buying a WD amplifier and 'speaker, but if all they can read about is scary looking homebuilt amplifiers and non-WAF pipes/horns it could lead them to believe that WD gear is not worth talking about ...
There's nothing scary about my pipes or horns how dare you

Seriously my amps and speakers have WAF in spades and it was interesting that at this EggFest there was a significant increase in the amount of equipment exhibiting plenty of WAF

Steve Shiels setup
James Quasars
Nick's OBs
My amps and Metronome speakers
Ed's Voigt pipes
Colin's mini Electrostatics
Richard Cooper's Audionote Amps
Al's prototype Martin King TQWTs
Greg's WAD 300b Clone
Bizzie's Beam Echo monoblock clones
Philip is also definitely onto something with his highly individual white/brushed aluminium look. I hope he develops this further.

The only ones that looked in the least bit scary were works in progress such as Mark's ongoing 300B project and Nick's prototype phono power supply. Need I go on?

Why on earth would Peter want to discourage the exposure of such individual talent, ingenuity, creativity and enthusiasm simply to push his products.

It is a self-evident truth that the longest standing members of this community such as Paul Barker, Nick Gorham, James D, SteveS, Darren, Greg, Mark J, Neal Gibbons, Dave Dove to name but a few have been instrumental in developing the knowledge and confidence of newer members like me (I still use WAD gear BTW) so that we have felt able to learn a bit of valve electronics, and build and show off our gear in front of a super-critical audience without the fear of being laughed at.

These "core" members should feel proud of what they have achieved in such a relatively short space of time. These folks are the "core content" of this forum and you don't mess with these guys. If they stop posting, the forum dies, Peter's potential customer base shrinks dramatically. It's as simple and stark a reality as that.

Steve.

Last edited by The Shadow; 22nd November 2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old 22nd November 2006, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Less forum categories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord.
Who are the main participants in these events? People who's knowledge has taken them far beyond the level of WD kitbuilders, and who are not likely ever to buy a WD kit. But who are the people who have guided, informed and helped those who have bought WD kits on the strength of what they've heard in the forum? The same people. They are not a distraction, they are a massive free asset. If they can't communicate through here they will be lost to WD, and WD will suffer as a consequence.