World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 5th April 2016, 03:34 PM

Default Re: The difference between budget and better

I wouldnt get too upset Dave.
The fix isnt permanent. I have just got to the end of side 2 of a recent pressing of "tea for the tillerman", which is a known really good pressing when played with the ortofon, and the splash distortion on sibilants and other artifacts is grating on my lugs. Side 1 played fine.
In view of these experiences over the last year or so i am afraid to say that the AT95E is now on my list of "cartridges to avoid" if I am asked for a recommendation for a budget bargain. Strange that AT would keep making something that obviously has foibles as It's not just me that's had these experiences.
The daft thing is, back in the 1980's I used one in a Linn Axis with basik plus arm and my recollection is of a very good bouncy sounding cartridge. maybe over the years quality control has gone down the pan?

Andy.
Old 12th April 2016, 01:15 PM

Hi all, I am back, had the computa. upgraded to Windows 7, so we can now move onto 10. Also had a shoulder op to remove a bony lump, all good now. I also had a AT95, it did sound way above its price, it is still going strong in Janets young brothers kit, glad you have found the problem Andy. BOB
Old 12th April 2016, 09:14 PM

Well i think they have gone downhill Bob.
This one sounds as rough as an old dogs coat. I'm wondering if the QC has gone downhill since the 80's when these were the "go to" budget cartridge.

Andy.
Old 13th April 2016, 07:19 AM

You could be correct about the down side Andy, the one I had was made in Japan, maybe they are now manufactured in some other country, like China, , over the past few years, I have had some goods that have been ****, all from reputable companys, like digital stylus gauge, oscilloscope, soldering station, to mention a few, and all were made in poxy China. What is the world coming to. BOB