World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 5th January 2013, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Nagaoka MP 110 Cartridge.

Michael,
It sounds like the denon may just be what you are looking for. If that's the case it'll be a question of searching eBay, forums, etc until you find one.... But, I do have another thought which I thought I'd throw into the mix...
You still haven't said what tonearm and cartridge you are using at present. Considering your limitations with tracking weight and head shell requirements, I would guess you are using an older design. Now, considering that older tonearm designs sound more genteel and less commanding, less upfront than modern designs, do you think that it MAY be a new tonearm which you are actually searching for (without realising)?
I am merely suggesting ideas... It does seem that you have reached a bit of a dilemma, so it requires more input from you as to what you are looking for...
Another alternative is to go for a restored older design of cartridge...

Justin.
Old 5th January 2013, 03:29 PM

Last time I looked Ortofon's Vivo Blue was the nearest Ortofon made to a flat response cartridge. Although that was a while back. It was too expensive. I don't need any extra treble. Mike.
Old 5th January 2013, 03:35 PM

You still have not answered Justins questions.
Old 5th January 2013, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Just to confirm I do not find the ortfon 2m Blue bright in my rega RB250/WAD phono 2 if anything I find it smooth clean well balanced and detailed nice cart but needs some 50 plus hours on it to sing but can’t say how it would perform in an different arm ???

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 5th January 2013, 07:31 PM

Going back to the original question re channel separation, checking on the Vinyl Engine cartridge database my Shure V15 (running an original stylus, Philip) is quoted as >30dB. The 1042 is quoted as >25dB. Elsewhere the frequency response of the Shure is "essentially flat 10Hz to 20kHz" and was reputed to be "the archivist's choice".

Now the Goldring runs in an Origin Live Silver Taper while the Shure is in a SME3009/2. I went over to the latter combo in my main system as I found presentation with the former to be too upfront with no depth to the soundstage. I don't feel the presentation is at all dated and in fact is much more in keeping with the sound I get from CD and the radio.

So there is something in channel separation but what number constitutes Hifi I'm sure I don't know and I'll stick to what my ears tell me! For the moment either the Shure or the Denon are my current picks in my main system.