World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 8th January 2006, 05:03 PM

Default Re: okki nokki record cleaning machine

In reply Greg's query above I hope the following makes sense.

The stainless steel suction tube did not lie perfectly flat across the record surface due to slight play in the nylon locating bush fitted into the top plate of the cleaning machine. When the vacuum was switched on, the force of suction was such that the tube would pull down more at the outer edge of the record compared to the inner groove area, thereby creating a small but noticable gap over the inner grooves, this had the effect of leaving traces of fluid by the label. Unfortunately, over a period of time (300 to 400 records cleaned) the situation worsened due to increasing wear in the nylon bush.

The question was, should I return the machine or try and improve things, I opted for improvement.

A VPI tube assembly was fitted basically because I happended to have one available and it wasn't a difficult task. The advantage over the stainless steel tube is that the VPI tube is semi floating and will align perfectly flat across the record surface - no more gaps. After soaking a record in cleaner the VPI tube is swung over the record, the vacuum is switched on causing the tube to sink and push against a spring, the tube makes eventual contact with the record surface, after 2 to 3 revs the vacuum is switched off and the tube rises (semi-automated), the improvement gained is really down to ease of use.

Lastly, spare felt pads were not available when I purchased my machine as I had one of the first available, so I looked elsewhere. However, I will refer to Audiophile Candy in the future, thanks for tip.

Basil
Old 8th January 2006, 06:03 PM
WD Archivist

Hi Basil,

Thanks for the explaination which I now understand. I can understand your problem. Interestingly, our Okki Nokki is a recent upgraded version which would you believe has the spring on the vacuum arm as your VPI does. The tube behaves in the manner you have described, so no doubt, Cadence recognised the weakness and copied the VPI method. The nylon locating bush in our machine is fixed and rigid.

Bizzie, when considering which cleaner to buy we looked carefully at the Moth which even in kit form is quite a bit dearer. I've seen one of these. The ON is alot quieter in operation than the Moth and vacuum power is more than adequate. I also like the full width turntable which means that if you have a need to scrub a disc, you can apply a downward force of choice to achieve your clean. James and I are very happy we settled for the ON.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 12th January 2006, 02:27 PM

my Okki arrived today I am going to use de-ionised/RO water with Martina Schoener L'Art du Son Record Cleaner.
will let you all know how I get on and results
this detergent is alcolhol free, so safe for 78's I have a few so I will try them as well.
Old 17th January 2006, 06:43 PM

I have cleaned records with distilled water, a camera brush and a very small amount of alcohol (from a chemists) since 1977, with no problems. Once cleaned, I have not needed to do them again. Don't get the label wet. If you don't use any alcohol at all in the mix, then some thing like mildew/mold/moss, will grow on the record, no mater how well the record is dried. This is not noticeable at first. Don't use too much alcohol though, my friend did, it dries out the vinyl, making it noisy, and removes the black colour from record.
Don't clean the record for the sake of it, the vinyl is self-lubicating, (It is made from crude oil after all).
See: Library Of Congress Record Cleaning Fluid,
on net.
Spend your money on records, not on equipment.
Rhyl. UK.

Last edited by michael orme; 17th January 2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 17th January 2006, 09:21 PM

Andrew, assuming you stick with an RO/Iso mix I thoroughly recommend adding a few drops of (photographic) wetting agent which will stop the mix beading up and keep it spread on the vinyl. I believe it lowers the surface tension of the water. WA lasts about a year once opened but in use the mix loses it's contribution after a couple to five days. I therefore only add WA to the small bottle I use during a cleaning session. It's harder to find these days, I picked mine up from Calumet in London last year and expect I'll have to pick it up from London again next time. Regional Jessop and independents had to order it.

(I use a KAB-EV1 by the way).
Old 17th January 2006, 11:04 PM

I am having one last big go with 1/3 car windscreen was cleaner and 2/3 fish tank water.

I agree about the wetting agent but haven't got any.

With carwash cleaner all really is fine (or has been in the past). I found, pushingthings, that using 2/3 carwash fluid was too much and left a residue so backing off to 1/3 windscreenwasher is about right.

So into a wash and brush up using discoantistatwash machine and then a good vacuuming in the oknok.

Who could ask for anything more?
Old 17th January 2006, 11:32 PM

I don't bother with wetting agent. Washing-up liquid does the same thing. I add a drop or two to a litre of mix, and that keeps everything bound together.
Old 17th January 2006, 11:56 PM

Caution!

Most dishwashing detergents contain a substantial amount of common salt and other ionic compounds which can leave deposits.

Mark
Old 18th January 2006, 12:11 AM

I wouldn't worry about one little drop in a litre of mix, Mark. I can't say I have ever suffered from any salt crystal encrustations, or deposits of any kind, on any of my records either. Frankly, the fluid is only on the record for a minute at the most, and is then completely vacuumed off. The washing up liquid (Mild Green Fairy Liquid) is not used as a detergent, but as a binding agent, and is probably present in ratios of 1:10,000 or less. Mind you, I did notice that my records were all "as soft as my face", after adding that miniscule drop of Fairy in.

Last edited by soulminer; 18th January 2006 at 12:20 AM.
Old 5th December 2006, 01:32 PM

Hi All

I'm going to buy myself a record cleaning machine for Christmas, and thought that the Clearaudio Smart Matrix was the best value. I contacted Black Pearls ( http://www.blackpearls-online.com/ ) here in Germany and was surprised to be told that the Smart Matrix is the same machine as the Okki Nokki. I had read somewhere that the Clearaudio is much quieter, but Harry Langer of Black Pearls says this is not the case.

Has anyone got recent experience of the latest versions of these machines, and if so, do they work as well as the more expensive machines, eg VPI etc?

Thanks

Hugo