World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 23rd April 2007, 11:48 PM

Default Re: To all those born in 40s, 50,s 60,s

What was it Arther Smith said on Grumpy Old Men? There's children getting ill nowadays because they don't eat turds when they're young. Delightfully put. Makes a point though. That said, as a child of the late 1970s, I'm hardly one to talk.
Old 24th April 2007, 01:47 AM

society, culture, technology, knowledge, it all changes. problems are solved but the solutions and new developements cause more problems that need solutions. as our solutions get more sophisticated so the next generation of problems seem to get an order of magnitude bigger (now pollution, resources, population, new technology in the hands of terrorists, energy, boredom, obesity, red tape etc,etc). this is an evolving universe and we are part of it (and the only ones who can see this unless there's aliens out there !). being as we can't get out of it , we might as well get on with it ?
Old 24th April 2007, 07:22 AM

Our own life is a microcosm of above post.

We think of a wa through the next stage cock it up and adjust.

We have the strange idea that could we go back everithing would be perfect, because of the new found wisdom, but what would reali happen is we would do different cockups and we would now be spending our time sorting out those ones instead.

All that reali matters is how we conduct ourselves in the process.

Sorr about all the i's the kee between t and u doesn't work on this laptop.
Old 24th April 2007, 08:59 AM

Andrew,
I used the expression 'fat slobs' not slags, berate me for an expression I used, not for one I did'nt.

At secondary school there was one fat boy - he had a geniune health problem to explain that.

When I first came to Spain in 68, I never saw any fat people at all. Why, it can't be explained by economic hardship because even the rich Fascist families were'nt fat.

As Angela is quick to point out about the Health Service, it would be noted if you started to put on weight. You would have to go on a counselling programme about food and exercise. If you did'nt respond and continued to put on weight - you lost your job. Just take a look at the NHS and Police today - they reflect society as a whole, how can it be otherwise.

When I see articles on how there are 'obesity genes' I simply have to laugh.

What does being fat or obese mean, well before an early death (guaranteed), there will be heart, diabetic and severe joint problems.

Children don't exercise like they used to, that's why so many footballers are foreigners. It's beginning to happen in Spain as well but can you really say that Chelsea/Liverpool and so many other clubs are really English anymore, I don't think so.

At the recent European games, the Spanish won more medals than the UK.

An unhealthy society is a society in decline, not a society changing.
Old 24th April 2007, 12:32 PM

makes me think of the jamie oliver school dinners thing when the chav mothers were posting burgers and crisps, etc through the railings at luch times !

some people deffinatly put on weight more easily than others but they should'nt use this as an excuse as to why they can't modify their diet/excesise regime to keep in better shape. people usually find if they excersise they have more energy and feel less tired than before they started after a few sessions

it seems the body finds it more difficult to regulate its weight/fat content when processed foods are consumed as well as little excersise
Old 24th April 2007, 01:30 PM

From now on I am going to talk about electronics valves and loudspeakers. I'm fed up with all teh bollocks spoken on this BB and I contribute to it too.

ENOUGH from me.

There is much flawed logic in what you say Stuart. You never saw fat Spanish people. So what! Does that mean there ar eno Spanish people?

'Slobs' is all right then is it? I work in and alongside the NHS and I have never heard of Angela's suggestions. It might be a good idea. I wokr in a culture and cllimate of nice cakes and biscuits. I know some very dangerously overweight peolple; one a theatre nurse (yikes! you might say) She is in no danger of losing her job because she is overweight. I haven't a clue what you mean about '...take a look at the police and NHS today ...' Yes, I do, frerquently and what ... ?

Paul's posting made me smile.

Enough.
Old 24th April 2007, 01:38 PM

I agree with Andrew, maybe we haven't anything to say about audio so we have to find something else to pontificate about.

Its interesting, if you replace Overweight with Homosexual in the above, then people would be up in arms, what goes around I guess.

If by any chance its not prior art, then the copyright is retained by me.
Old 24th April 2007, 01:49 PM

i think that may be partly because it's not politicaly correct to infer individuals chose their sexual preferences (and hence could make what some people (fundamentalist bigots) would see as better choices)

whereas although society, culture, peer pressure, etc may have an influence we certainly can choose what we eat and what excersise we do ?
Old 24th April 2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
we certainly can choose what we eat and what excersise we do ?
Maybe, but that doesn't give YOU the right to tell someone else what THEY should do, or make YOUR opinion have any bearing on anything others may choose to do.

I always worry where thoughts of "we" and "them" lead, historically its often messy and regretfull.

If by any chance its not prior art, then the copyright is retained by me.
Old 24th April 2007, 02:19 PM

i see it more as making people aware of the choices they have and the consequences of making them.

telling someone what they 'should' be doing is usally counter productive and doesn't increase their understanding in any case. in some cases it is still necessary though. for instance i work in a hostel for homeless people and we have to have boundaries and rules or else it would be an even less pleasant place to live in !