Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 8th July 2007, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: external crossovers

Hi Chris,

There's a bit more here also,
http://wduk.worldomain.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2704

These boxes are Maplin MB6 YN39N and the components are laid out on their plain matrix board (holes but no copper on it) JP53H, leads poked through and soldered links underneath,

Old 9th July 2007, 10:11 AM

Thanks for all the help.
Question 2.
I have now finished the basic boxes and on presenting the Seas T18RE/XFCTV2 co-axial driver, I realised that the central tweeter part itself is quite a bit set back from the mid/bass driver surround. Does this mean, I could dispense with the routing inset to set the driver flush with the front baffle - on my Totems and also my previous Heybrooks it is/was only the tweeters which were set flush, the bass drivers were not.
As you may have guessed, I have never used a router before and would be delighted if I s¡didn´t have to risk a cock-up.
Go on, make my day.
Chris
Old 10th July 2007, 10:04 PM

Greg, I see you have RS wire-wound resistors in your external x-o. Not tried these but can say that the Mills non-inductive resistors ($3.50 ish from Percy) were one of the most obvious upgrades I've yet done. Much smoother top-end, reduced splashiness, with no loss of detail. Worth a go I'd guess

Regards

Adrian
Old 11th July 2007, 08:12 PM
WD Archivist

Hi Adrian,

Yes, good observation. I'm very fond of Mills as you know and use them in my amps. A point to note is that I uprated the resistors which allows them (I've tested this) to run cooler than original. Almost anything is better sonically in the crossover compared with white coffin ceramic resistors. I suppose I've not moved on further with the crossovers after the rebuild and boxing them out of the cabinets because there was such a significant improvement to sound which I've remained very happy with. I've forgetten about them since. I think that's the result we're all looking for, in'it?

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 21st February 2013, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Hi Chris,

There's a bit more here also,
http://wduk.worldomain.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2704

These boxes are Maplin MB6 YN39N and the components are laid out on their plain matrix board (holes but no copper on it) JP53H, leads poked through and soldered links underneath,

I have looked at threads and posts about external crossovers until I am sick of 'em...

I cannot find an answer to this question, though it may be there, somewhere...

There are an awful lot of plugs and sockets in the picture. Continuous runs of cable would be better, no? Use plugs and sockets only where necessary?

If I have 6 wires going to 3 drive units through a hole in the cabinet, what do I seal it with?

John
Old 21st February 2013, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7 View Post
I have looked at threads and posts about external crossovers until I am sick of 'em...

I cannot find an answer to this question, though it may be there, somewhere...

There are an awful lot of plugs and sockets in the picture. Continuous runs of cable would be better, no? Use plugs and sockets only where necessary?

If I have 6 wires going to 3 drive units through a hole in the cabinet, what do I seal it with?

John
Hi John, Seal them however works best for you. Mine in the pic are sealed same as ordinary connections would be except there are 6 on the terminal dish instead ofr 2.

Yes no plugs has got to be better than plugs. I used to worry about that but having tried the hassle of no plugs I don't worry any more.