World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 28th January 2009, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: B&W DM70 Standards

Wooah! They're lovely speakers Mathew and I've had similar decisions to make about vintage cars, bikes and hifi. I loved my bronze esl57's, they evoked an era but they weren't for everyone I guess. So, forget the chrome wire wheels. Stick to something sympathetic to the era. They would never have had black originally. Gold, brown, burgundy, green or maybe deep red paisley if you're into jazz...
Old 28th January 2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew Cole View Post
Good idea! you know i never thought of that! I'll get on to it right away
When you've done it let us see what red looks like please.

Richard was right about black !

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 28th January 2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
Bollocks! M Cole is either a prat or a wind up merchant and some of you have been sucked in

If he is a prat he needs to go away and get an education and if he is a wind up merchant he needs to be removed from the membership. All he's asking is for you to choose for him the colour of his speaker grill. Why should you? He or maybe you needs to get a life. If I've got that wrong, please remove me from the membership!
Greg,
Are you unhappy because of a perceived ulterior motive, as the guy is a Self employed Service engineer?

Or have I not looked deep enough?

Maybe you should give the guy a chance before passing judgement!

http://www.audiocircuit.com/index.ph...m=DM-70&cc=941

Last edited by Cobblers; 28th January 2009 at 01:55 AM. Reason: add link to speaker.
Old 28th January 2009, 03:53 AM
Mathew Cole

Thank you Cobblers and the rest for your input and yes i am a self employed service engineer, I service and repair small petrol and diesel engines for the garden and construction industry.

But back to the case at hand, After doing a quick google search on deep red paisley, i like it alot! thanks Richard! will go nice against my feature wall (red currant glory)

I have a friend working on the image for me Pre65 as my photo shop is acting up

The plans for tomorrow, im going to vaneer the face and the back of the ES panels as there lifting in quite a few places, then remove all the varnish from the cabs and stands.

If there is no problem in me posting on here i shal keep you updated with pictures and any more info
Old 28th January 2009, 10:32 AM

[quote=Mathew Cole;63523

If there is no problem in me posting on here i shal keep you updated with pictures and any more info[/QUOTE]

No problems Mathew-looking forward to see how the rebuild progresses.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 28th January 2009, 06:38 PM

How about trying something like a bright blue.
I have some old(ish) Tannoys in medium coloured wood cabinets, with blue grille cloths.
Pic can be provided.

Just a thought. It´s a look you will either like, or not!
Noel.
Old 28th January 2009, 06:59 PM
Mathew Cole

Hi there Flyingkipper!

Yes i would love to see the tannoys you have with the blue grill cloth!

Altho i think for these early 70's speakers blue would be a bit out of character lol as mentioned in the previous post i am fond of the dark red paisley but i think finding a supplyer of speaker cloth in that style and colour will be quite a challenge but i will keep looking!

If anyone else has any speakers from the early 70's i would love to see some pictures of them, as i was born in 1980 i have no idea of the types of grill cloth that was used in the 70's

Thanks Mathew
Old 28th January 2009, 08:49 PM

Here you go.

Old 28th January 2009, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Ah, lovely, I'm sure I remember them being available in blue in the late 70's. Are yours standard or have you redone them?

Mathew, in the old days the standard was Tygan which was almost like plastic rafia and was supposed to be acoustically transparent but I'm not sure how much! It was fitted to the frame and then warmed near a fire which contracted and tightened it. You'll have seen such I'm sure,

Almost any cloth will do and these days a thin stretchy type is usual and easiest to work with. Wrap, pull tightly, glue with contact adhesive then run a Stanley and rule along to trim them neatly. I get mine from a fabric stall on an indoor market, loads of choice, or stores such as John Lewis sell them.

Rich
Old 28th January 2009, 10:48 PM

Those Tannoys were available around 1975 with a huge range of optional grill colours, mostly bright primaries. This was quite trendy at the time. Another company by the name of Marsden Hall produced the first foam grills with about 20 different colour options. Both failed eventually due to the difficulties of stocking and specifying the different colours, and also because most people just wanted brown.