World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD Problems For questions and answers re older World Audio Design Projects

Old 9th September 2019, 08:39 PM

Default Re: KiT/KaT6550 and fuse blowing inrush current

Thanks Richard.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 20th October 2019, 10:53 AM

Anyone here can help me with the allen key size for the grub screw on the big chrome knobs ?

I thought I'd got one somewhere but the little blighter is in hiding.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 20th October 2019, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Philip, just checked mine and it's 1.5mm
Old 20th October 2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Hi Philip, just checked mine and it's 1.5mm
Thanks Richard.

Old 25th October 2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
"...If he/she is and is willing to spend, I can’t recommend the Sowter option enough. They really do make a cracking difference to this amp and in my view, actually worth the financial outlay.
I've just had a quick look at the Sowter website and indeed, they look "cost-prohibitive". The U069 version is £286 each. Which version did you fit exactly?
I've never really considered a Tx change though, but at that price, I simply hope mine last a few more years!

Neil.
Audio-Note CD2.1x/AN-V i/c. Audio-Note M1 with A-N Copper PIO caps & AN-V wire, WAD KaT6550, NAD C368 Hybrid Digital DAC Amplifier with BluOS - Mountain Snow Atlas 2 speaker cable. Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 804
Old 25th October 2019, 05:19 PM
WD Archivist

It’s not so much about how long the original output Tx’s will last but more about the improvement to sound the Sowter’s render. This is not insignificant and why I say a replacement pair at just south of £600 really is in my opinion and ears, worth it.

To be certain of the Tx model fitted, I’ll have to look next time my friend wants some work doing on it. We are at the moment discussing upgrading the power supply board with new low esr electrolytics. To the best of my knowledge the Sowters are UO82. These certainly were the flavour of choice back in the day. I’ll update when I next get a chance to look.

Last edited by Greg.; 25th October 2019 at 07:39 PM.
Old 25th October 2019, 08:54 PM

Hi Greg,
Completely agree. All I meant was I hoped nothing failed soon meaning I had to shell out £600 for new pair of TX.
These are also now on my radar if the improvement is so huge. Is there an alternative for say £300 that also improves massively on the standard transformers?

Cheers,

Neil.
Audio-Note CD2.1x/AN-V i/c. Audio-Note M1 with A-N Copper PIO caps & AN-V wire, WAD KaT6550, NAD C368 Hybrid Digital DAC Amplifier with BluOS - Mountain Snow Atlas 2 speaker cable. Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 804
Old 25th October 2019, 10:33 PM
WD Archivist

Smile Re: KiT/KaT6550 and fuse blowing inrush current

I don’t have a clue about alternatives either for the original Tx’s or for the Sowter option. What I do know is the Sowter option is a worthwhile and significant sound noticeable upgrade. If you are looking for alternatives, you’ll need to do your own research.

Let’s get this in perspective. Yes, a pair of Sowter UO82 will cost more than you probably paid for your original KiT/KaT 6550. But in today’s currency, your 6550, assuming it is working ultimately is probably producing a sound comparable with amplifiers bought through dealers in the £2 - 6K bracket. Don’t believe me? Go visit a dealer and listen for yourself. I visit a good dealer at least twice a year to keep me orientated on this thing of sound quality versus value for money.

So, £600 on an upgrade through your High Street dealer will offer you a small improvement on a manufactured product, but £600 on a pair of Sowters for your original WAD kit will lift it onto a very new, highly identifiable and beneficial listening plain. I assure you, incorporated properly, you’ll never regret it. Actually, that £600 is an absolute bargain, and a price considered as ‘small potatoes’ in the current commercial hi-fi world.

I absolutely love the sound of my friends 6550 into his Edingdale speakers and would happily have one myself. Dare I say it, having previously built and lived with a clone of the original flagship WAD 300B PP circa 1995, regardless of all the tweaking and esoteric components I fitted, my observation is my friends 6550 sounds far better. I simply love it........I think he does as well
Old 26th October 2019, 03:10 PM

Damn it,

You have me wondering now.
Old 27th October 2019, 11:30 AM

Greg has made some good points. It's easy to spend a few hundred pounds on new tubes or Caps that will eventually need replacing, but a set of quality Tx's are a better long term investment.
I would also put a pair of Sowters Tx's on my list of future upgrades.

Chris