World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 1st June 2022, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Advice on Panting speaker stands

Hi All
And thanks for the tip’s yes powder would be a good way to go but the cost of getting the stands to wherever. as I don’t drive plus there’s a set of these stands on eBay for £25 to £40 now

So I was just looking to tidy them up and which was the best way to do it by hand or rattle cam given I am not very good at doing either the stands do look to have been power coated originally

I was thinking of using matt or satin Black is the Acrylic seen here the better choice
https://www.toolstation.com/plastiko...t-400ml/p73084
Or the industrial type here
https://www.toolstation.com/industri...t-500ml/p36577
colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 1st June 2022, 01:46 PM
WD Archivist

Never compared them, Colin. I’ve used Plastikote for transformer lam edges, speaker stands, amp chassis’ and a turntable shelf. All results looked pretty professional. Plastikote is easy to use.
Old 1st June 2022, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
Never compared them, Colin. I’ve used Plastikote for transformer lam edges, speaker stands, amp chassis’ and a turntable shelf. All results looked pretty professional. Plastikote is easy to use.
Hi Greg/All
Thanks, I will just go with the Plastikote then I have had the stands from new so not looking for A pro-finish job anyway just a reasonable tidy-up on them. I know nothing about paint types and applying it, to be honest really
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s

Old 3rd June 2022, 07:32 PM

Hi Collin,
The secret of a good finish is in the prep. Strip them down into their parts first it will make things easier. Good rub down with med/fine wet and dry finish off wet with a bit of washing up liquid in the water. Good washdown then when dry vacuum and wipe over with cellulose thinners.
Any rattle can will do all much of a muchness unless you go for Hammerite, a silk finish ie semi gloss is a bit more forgiving to blemishes, just thin coats and build up, just take your time.If you get a run leave it for a week rub it down and re spray.
Aldi and Lidl’s have offers on cans now and then and they’ll do.
Of course you can get from car restorers a Crackle Finish paint (think old metal dash boards of MG Midgets or MGBs.) That’ll cover any thing and you can control the amount of wrinkles by how dry you have the first coat before the top coat goes on. It’s fun!
Anyway good luck
If you were closer I’d say I’d do them for you with hammerite, I’ve done a couple of mine and a few friends. It does come out very well but is not the easiest to use and really needs a small compressor to get its best.
Good luck and enjoy the fumes 😮*💨🫣
Old 4th June 2022, 07:25 AM

Colin, if they were powder coated originally, from new, do not use cellulose thinners, it will melt the powder coat . Bob
Old 4th June 2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
Colin, if they were powder coated originally, from new, do not use cellulose thinners, it will melt the powder coat . Bob
Are you sure Bob?
I have sprayed a set which I was sure were powder coated with hammerite which was thinned with cellulose thinners not hammerite thinners and they were OK.
However if you know different maybe the ones I did weren’t powder coated and I defer to your experience.
Martin
Old 4th June 2022, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Martin/Bob
Thanks for the tips and tricks always Handy to Know Spray painting is not something I haven't done much off just a couple of PA Power Amplifier Front panels which flaked off after a time in use.
Not sure if the stands are powder coated or not the finish looks like a matt silk with a fine eggshell-like effect. I was just going to do them a matt black over the top of that finish
Colin

Last edited by colin.hepburn; 4th June 2022 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Me Spelling
Old 4th June 2022, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Col, you should be fine with acrylic spray paint such as this,
Halfords
which (I think) is a bit more compatible with some surfaces than cellulose though don't go googling acrylic paint as it will tell you it's water based.

This spray is fast drying and smells like celly and if anyone knows the actual difference it would be interesting to hear. Yes I noticed regular celly paint thinner softened powder coating on my motorcycles. You might get away with a quick wipe but white spirit is safer followed by a brush with washing up liquid and water wash off.

If the PA amp was an aluminium panel it needs a coat of etch primer first which is now generally available in a spray can for about a tenner usually yellow coloured.
Old 5th June 2022, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingushome View Post
Are you sure Bob?
I have sprayed a set which I was sure were powder coated with hammerite which was thinned with cellulose thinners not hammerite thinners and they were OK.
However if you know different maybe the ones I did weren’t powder coated and I defer to your experience.
Martin
Martin, are you sure ? cellulose thinners will not mix with hammarite . Bob
Old 5th June 2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
Martin, are you sure ? cellulose thinners will not mix with hammarite . Bob
Yes definitely Bob came out of my old 5Ltr can of celli thinners.
It does mix no problems BUT you lose most of the hammered finish, just get a sort of metal flake but very shiny. That may due to the spraying too tho.
It’s much cheaper than hammerite thinners but you may loose some of its “endurance”properties. Works for brushing too, no loss of dimples there

Martin