World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD General For discussions re World Audio Design

Old 5th January 2006, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Stepped attenuators

Thanks for the info on shunt mods I will try this on my HD83MkII first before opening up the preII.
Old 5th January 2006, 04:56 PM

Hi all,
I have posted in the past - why on earth does anyone need 23/24 position attenuators. I personally think it's ludicrous and no one has ever come back with any answer, let alone a rational one.

It would be better if there were only 6 resistors in the signal path - it might definately be worth a pop.

KTea88 how different is the mark11 version to mark1 of HD83. I have posted for info on it without response eg. what rectifier diodes are used, I'm trying to find an alternative to BYV96D.

Black Stuart
Old 5th January 2006, 05:18 PM

23-24 steps are smooth, sexy and the volume goes up and the volume sgoes down ... just like a pot er,

five or six steps are too much of a jump, too crude, clunky and you may hear a 'pop' so it isn't worth it.
Old 6th January 2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stuart
Hi all,
I have posted in the past - why on earth does anyone need 23/24 position attenuators. I personally think it's ludicrous and no one has ever come back with any answer, let alone a rational one.

It would be better if there were only 6 resistors in the signal path - it might definately be worth a pop.

KTea88 how different is the mark11 version to mark1 of HD83. I have posted for info on it without response eg. what rectifier diodes are used, I'm trying to find an alternative to BYV96D.

Black Stuart
Stuart,
Nothing electrical just the case that matches the rest of the WAD gear silver front, blue led, crome knob etc..
Old 6th January 2006, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stuart
Hi all,

This is what's great about DIY, you can build the system the way you want it. Actually a decent attenuator only has 2 resistors in the signal path but I understand what you intended.

It would be interesting to take the logic to more of an extreme and also get rid of all the connectors between sources, amps and speakers. So much has been said about how wonderful the Bullet phono plugs are, surely no phono or banana plugs/sockets would be even better, why not just hardwire everything. Very inflexible but maybe it would sound so good we would stop tweaking.