World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 14th August 2006, 10:09 PM

Default Re: How many pairs of speakers do you own?

At the moment...... just two. I just counted up and 9 pairs have passed through my hands since 1967.

Wharfedale harewoods - much modified - from early 90s and Fostex 206e in self designed voight pipes. Voight Pipes much nicer than the box speakers (either as bass reflex as Infinite baffles). Next step BIB for 206e

But if you asked about amps .. Audiolab 100P; KAT 6550 (much modded); Chinese 2A3 amp (Goldballs) and Chinese 845 amp (audioromy) as well as a number of half built or waiting to be rebuilt efforts !

Jerry
Old 15th August 2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme
And the same question to you , what ones get played the most?
WD25t at present, most of the rest are there for reference purposes, especially the Leak Sandwich and Radford, the Leaks showing what could be done with a stiff, large cone bass/midrange unit and the Radford what can be achieved from a good crossover and a 4-way speaker. The B&O speakers are an interesting exercise in a three way with near perfect drivers and simple crossover - all designed by Peerless AFAIK.

Mark Wood mentioned Keesonic Kubs. Gave a good review (can't remember which mag) to these tiny bookshelf speakers (sold one pair, coupled to a Rogers Cadet 3, to the girl who is now my wife!) with cheap bass-mid and cone treble that sounded well beyond its technology. Could teach a modern miniature speaker a thing or two. Never could get on with the other Keesonic designs, though, and the fact that it was only the little one that sold so well that probably brought the company down.
Old 15th August 2006, 01:33 PM

Only two pairs at the moment.
I have been known to build four pairs in a year, but rarely keep them for long.
Old 15th August 2006, 05:33 PM

Apologies as I don't want to try to take the thread off topic but Peter's comments about the Keesonic speakers made me wonder if anyone might still have a contemporary review of the KRFs lurking in their archives? I inherited my set from a relative and I seem to remember a review (more than likely late 1970s What Hi-Fi) that wasn't entirely complimentary, when the Kubs were very much in fashion. (The tiny Videotone Minimax 'speakers were also in vogue and seemed to follow the cheap driver formula of the Kubs.) The KRFs cost over £200 which wasn't an inconsiderable amount in their day but I suspect they have all of the undesirable traits of 'speakers of that era.
My KRFs have a Kef B200 replacing one of the Dalesford woofers, thanks to Maplin and the 4-5 V DC at the output of their "Newton" preamplifier on switch-on, amplified through a Mission 777BU...!
Old 16th August 2006, 02:35 PM

Default Rare JR149 speakers for sale on ebay - ends 26th Aug

Rare JR149 speakers for sale on ebay - ends 26th Aug

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rare JR149 speakers for sale on ebay

Loudspeaker system JR149 Good condition 100% working
Starting price: £4.99

www.ebay.co.uk
Search for item number: 270018942899

Start date: Wednesday, 16 Aug, 2006 01:03:28 BST
End date: Saturday, 26 Aug, 2006 01:03:28 BST
Old 19th August 2006, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
I recently fitted a pair of new mid-range units to my old pair of HB3s, since the originals had perished surrounds. The current equivalent SEAS unit was slightly different from the originals, and made them a little "shouty" and forward, but they were fairly close to the original sound, and would probably respond to a bit of crossover tweaking.
I had to respond to domestic pressure and sold them to my daughter's boy-friend, replacing them with a pair of Mission 782s, which are a lot smoother and a bit bouncier, but don't have the shere grunt of the HB3s.
I'd be interested to hear about it if you decided to have a go at updating them.
There's a possibility that I might have actually built your HB3s when they were new!
Shane, It's amazing to think that the Forum has connected things up over a 20+ year period! I'd love to have the opportunity to update them (or attempt to at least). if that ever happens I 'll definitely be looking for advice.
Old 12th September 2006, 07:54 AM

By today's count, 6 pair in the living room (+ 2 pair sans drivers)... more downstairs

dave
Old 13th September 2006, 09:04 PM

Orchid LWO's - my main system speakers;

then...

The Wharfedale Diamond II's (passive) that I've had since I was 15;
Active Wharfedale Diamond I's;
A Mordaunt-Short sub/satellite 5.1 surround set, which has spent the last year mothballed as I no longer have a TV. Think they may be going on eBay soon.

Previously owned:

Rogers LS7t's (my dad's got these now) and Tannoy DC200's (my mum and stepfather have these in their living room system);

Bose Acoustimass III sub/satellite system - the horror!! Bought these in 1993 not long after my first CD player. Dark days indeed. Now employed in the kitchen at my mum and stepfather's house, perched on top of the cupboards attached to an Akai mini-system, where they rightfully belong.
Old 13th September 2006, 09:42 PM

Most of the speakers i've had have no gone (these are the only ones left).
None for sale.

Rogers LS3/5a 15 ohm (not for sale)
Rogers LS3/5a 11 ohm AB1 units. (not for sale)
WD25a (in use)
LV Auditorium (in use)
Heybrook Heylo floorstander
B&W DM12
JPW Gold Monitor
Goodmans Maxim

(all following dyn's in use in AV system)
Dynaudio Audience 40
Dynaudio Audience 42c
Dynaudio driver floorstanders

Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 (with PC system)

Favourites which are long gone included the ATC SCM20 (though need solid state) Quad 57's, 63's and HB1 s3's.
Old 13th September 2006, 09:45 PM

well right now I am listening to LS35as, not sure why, I suppose its because I am unsure when this little russian valve concoction will start smoking.

My main speakers are rebuilt ESS monitors with Heil grand master tweeters.

My second speakers are ESS AMT1Bs that are due for a complete rebuild; again Heil Grand masters.

I have a pair of ELacs under the piano (yep, ribbon tweeters)

My fostex 206e quarter waves are in the conservatory.

In the attic I have rebuilt a pair of small ESS speakers with smaller Heil ribbon tweeters.

In the kitchen I have some of those linaeum ribbon tweeters and nameless bass units.

and some wharfedale something or others from the 1970s in the shed,where I drill cut, file and bleed over new chassis.

I really like Heils. You can tell can't you!?