World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 26th July 2018, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Interconnects

Hi Phil, thanks for your comments. The return (-) for both the tweeter and bass/mid are from a single point on the input box, individually connected to LF and HF parts of the crossover.

Chris.
Old 26th July 2018, 01:00 PM

Phil, you could try bi-wiring, but you would need 2 pairs of inputs on the speaker and bi-wired cables.

Chris.
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:13 PM

I need to some decent quality interconnects from TT to the phono-stage and then to amplifier.

Currently I have some cheapo chord c-line. I have a pure silver litz for my DAC but it was v. expensive and I don't really want to shell out for two more cables, so I thought I would see if I could make some up. They don't necessarily need to be silver.

I wondered about this stuff https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wir...nect-wire.html

At this risk of starting a "cable war," does anyone have an recommendations?
Old 22nd February 2019, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Hi
This stuff from HI FI collective is "Litz" and is a swine to solder to. As Nick says you need a solder pot for it. When I was using it in manufacturing I used to heat it over a methylated spirit flame then immediately plunge it into the solder pot.
Try to find something not as difficult.
IPL does a nice twin screened PTFE/silver plated cable that WD use.

John
Old 22nd February 2019, 11:02 PM
WD Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Caswell View Post
HiIPL does a nice twin screened PTFE/silver plated cable that WD use.

John
Indeed, I have been using IPL acoustic cable for years. It totally satisfies my cable expectations and furthermore, sound quality.

Look at
http://iplacoustics.co.uk/ipl_cables.htm

Select IC2.

You won’t look back on the this one. They really are the business.
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:37 AM

Thank you - have you tried his Vandamme Studio Grade Speaker Cable?
Old 24th February 2019, 03:05 PM
WD Archivist

I’ve not tried the studio grade cables. I am very happy with my Blue Jeans (Belden) 10-gauge 5T00UP.
http://www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/store/speaker/index.htm

Now available from Amazon. Several of my mates also happily use it. Available in 2,3,5 & 8 metre terminated lengths
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Jeans-...PD0V0WZWNH9FJ0
Old 25th February 2019, 08:13 PM

Greg,
Blue Jeans gives a b/s free rationale about speaker cable except for one thing - electricity travels not only through a cable but around it.

In audio this means that higher frequencies travel at and around the conductor surface. I have to order some thin wall FEP tubing for some new i/connects from Adtech Engineering and I want to see if they will sell me enough large gauge FEP tubing so I can make some air core speaker cables using first some 1.5mm copper solid core I have.

I've been very happy with the UBYTE 11 which I've used for years but I can't see whyair core shouldn't yield the same benefits as for i/connects .
Old 25th February 2019, 09:47 PM
WD Archivist

Stuart,
I can no longer be bothered with the nonsense around cables and all the forum arguments about them. Personally I have concluded that if your equipment is good, any well made well conducting cable will do the trick beit speaker cable or interconnect. I have no desire to explore the science further than knowing what I have works well to my hearing.

I have no doubt that the IPL sourced VanDamme studiograde cable will work equally as well as my favoured Blue Jeans. The VanDamme cable is also readily available on eBay.

There is far too much bollocks spoken about cables in general and because we are in a very subjective hobby, the marketeers can have a field day with their nonsense advertising and promotion, setting rediculous retail prices. The whole thing is a confidence trick not far distant from what Quacks in the old Wild West did with their potions.

As said, if you know all your equipment is well made and operating properly, frequently cheap cable connections are found to be more than adequate. I also remain convinced that when any punter claims a massive improvement to his sound by adding an expensive cable connection in the system, undoubtably they are either using poor quality kit, their kit has no synergy, or simply their expenditure seems to create expectation bias. There is no truth in that outcome.

Common sense makes scientific and economical sense. It’s what you are listening to that counts. Basic cables with good conductivity work. You may well be right about your science observations on how electricity travels in and around a cable. So what? I don’t give a stuff. My system sounds fantastic with affordable cables everywhere. I really can’t see the point of any expensive cable beyond basic conductive function.

Please don’t misunderstand me. Colin Wonfer is a man I seriously respect (Inca Tech and shed loads since) who is seriously into selling expensive cables based on proper scientific analysis. He really knows the science you hint at and produces cables accordingly. Doesn’t change my attitude. We don’t need this level of inclusion in the industry, because the good old basic stuff really works.

That’s my opinion. No-one will ever change it. As ever, common sense will always suggest a low value connector that does best conductivity will always win.
Old 26th February 2019, 08:23 AM

Well said Greg, I would like to make one further thought, if one changes a cable for another in their system the sound appears different, more life and that person thinks it is better, now then, in six month's time they change back, it sounds different again, more life, all that is going on is the removal and replacement of the cable has cleaned (to some extent) the plug and socket in question, so a better electrical contact has been made making it SEAM that the new cable is better. I was reading on here a few days ago about fancy fuse's, what a joke, you are correct, it is bollocks. Bob