World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Old 9th January 2006, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Loudspeakers...

Looks interesting,how does it compare to the KLS8 which I currently use,it looks alot less efficient but similarly uses a 10 inch main driver.I like the bass from a 10inch bass but the midrange lacks definition compared to a dedicated midrange unit.
Old 10th January 2006, 03:20 AM

Peter,

If it was just supply of an amplifier that was an issue (and nothing more 'legal' ) Then im sure someone on here would be happy to loan you suitable amplification.

My Kel84 would certainly be up for offer.

Paul
Old 10th January 2006, 01:57 PM

Many thanks for your kind offer. We'll see how we get on with the WAD negotiations which, hopefully, will materialise in time for the show. If not I'll get back to you.
Old 13th January 2006, 06:53 PM

I'm a bit puzzled. I do a Google for the Seas A26RE4 driver that is supposed to be used in this WD design and it comes up with no matches!! The H1318 tweeter is definitely a cracking unit though!
The speaker as a whole looks very impressive and I am sure it can be easily configured into a sensible floor-stander by simply extending the cabinet downwards. There are some things to consider though, especially as this is an "aperiodic" design. Maybe it can be successfully used in this configuaration, but I am sure it can be modified into a standard ported design - no problem.

Interestingly though, is the fact that this speaker appears to have been designed by SEAS themselves, and SEAS is part of the Arena Electronics Group.....so too is WD!!! Hmmmm.......bigger things are coming I'm sure from the speaker world here, but I fear for the loss of the valve-amp business.

Neil.
Audio-Note CD2.1x/AN-V i/c. Audio-Note M1 with A-N Copper PIO caps & AN-V wire, WAD KaT6550, NAD C368 Hybrid Digital DAC Amplifier with BluOS - Mountain Snow Atlas 2 speaker cable. Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 804
Old 13th January 2006, 07:16 PM
Lord.

Hi Neil,
It looks like Peter has set up a relationship with SEAS of Norway and they have helped produce this new 10" driver specifically for the new WD kit. The new 'www.seas.co.uk' website looks like the English complement to the companies 'www.seas.no' website and seems to be, as you note, part of the same company that includes World Designs.

Peter's post (#4) above shows his thinking as to the direction of WD (including valves), all the posts in the 'Wish List' section show the thinking of the current membership of the WD forum.

It is good to see that the spirit of the old (turn of the century!) WAD has risen from the flames, and I'm sure we are all looking forward to great things to come from Peter, Noel and all involved with WD!
Old 15th January 2006, 06:42 PM

Just to clarify, Arena Electronics is an umbrella company that includes World Designs and SEAS.co.uk in the Group. SEAS.co.uk is the official UK distributor for SEAS drive units to the home constructor.

The bass unit used in the WD25A is a special design from WD and SEAS in Norway to suit the aperiodic enclosure. It is not available elsewhere.

We will be concluding the design with a method of extending it into a floorstander, still using the aperiodic cabinet concept. Because the drive unit is expressly designed for aperiodic use it does not translate well into either conventionally ported or closed box enclosures.
Old 3rd February 2006, 07:02 PM

Hi Peter

Just out of interest Peter, will you be stocking a range of Seas drivers other than the ones used in your kits

Regards Acorn
Old 6th February 2006, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn
Hi Peter

Just out of interest Peter, will you be stocking a range of Seas drivers other than the ones used in your kits

Regards Acorn
Funny you should say that. We are now the UK distributors for SEAS drivers - see

http://www.seas.co.uk/
Old 10th February 2006, 02:42 PM

Hi Peter -quick query regarding the new aperiodic box. How critical is the baffle width in terms of the crossover, and would increasing it by 1 1/2" require any rejigging of the baffle-step compensation applied? I play around with mass-loaded quarter-wave resonators, and I've come up with an alternative enclosure I'd like to try with these drivers / crossovers. I can preserve the original width, but the F3 is around 10Hz higher than is otherwise possible. Any thoughts?

Regards
Scott
Old 10th February 2006, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose
Hi Peter -quick query regarding the new aperiodic box. How critical is the baffle width in terms of the crossover, and would increasing it by 1 1/2" require any rejigging of the baffle-step compensation applied? I play around with mass-loaded quarter-wave resonators, and I've come up with an alternative enclosure I'd like to try with these drivers / crossovers. I can preserve the original width, but the F3 is around 10Hz higher than is otherwise possible. Any thoughts?

Regards
Scott
I don't think the increase in size is a problem. The correction I am applying for the baffle step compensation is minimal and just a series coil (cunningly working in conjunction with the impedance compensation in parallel with the LF unit), so you can adjust the value to taste, or even leave it out altogether!
You'll get a better idea of what to do in the next issue of HFW where I show the various stages of the crossover.
BTW the XL treble version is definitely worth it! The mid-treble detailing of this hf unit is incredible, allied to a fabulous transient performance.