World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 16th April 2014, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Andy needs a new cart

How is the new cartridge sounding Andy, I am thinking of one, why you may ask, when I use a Ortofon cadenza blue, well guess what, yes, you'v got it, for some reason the ruby cantilever is no longer there, and at £1195.00, I've had it with that sort of price. My local dealer, gave me a London Maroon to try, wow what a performer, but sadly after only one hour, the sound was getting very hard, so I am looking to stay with MC and am considering what Andy is using. Hi-Fi World have a test of one in this months mag, and they like it, but comment about the falling top end, this may suit me fine. BOB
Old 16th April 2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
and at £1195.00, BOB
I'd want an engine and at least two wheels for that price.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 16th April 2014, 11:48 AM

I'm beginning to think the same Philip, God knows how much I have spent on MC cartridges . but it is almost impossible for me to go to a much cheaper cartridge, I know, I've tried. BOB
Old 16th April 2014, 01:31 PM

Hi Bob,
commiserations!
In case you are interested I have a nearly new Kontrapunct B that I dare not put in my system due to 2yr old daughter! Its been sitting in its box for ages, so PM me if you want to know more.
Gerry
Old 16th April 2014, 02:32 PM

PM sent Gerry.
Old 16th April 2014, 03:49 PM

Thank's to Gerry B, I have a new cartridge coming, wonder how long this one will last BOB
Old 16th April 2014, 09:42 PM

Hi bob,
Looks like you may be sorted anyway.

So far the quintet Black is working well.

I'd agree with Tony Bolton's Findings and Noels measurements. It's a very smooth and warm sound and may not be to everyones liking. I have found it seems to show up the recording/pressing more than the old cartridges I had. Not in an unpleasant way but some records that were always a bit on the warm and less detailed side are showing that trait more, yet put a record with a fast and forward sound on and it shows that too but without lasering my eardrums.

Many would likely prefer the cheaper bronze, and I have yet to try the OL1 arm which may show it in a different light.
I have changed a lot of the system lately so it has been a bit of a job to decide what was causing what.
Just playing side 1 of "Fragile" by Yes and it is sounding very plummy and slightly "rolled off" but this pressing I have was always a bit on the dull side and I felt it was never a bright sounding album.
I'll report back in an hour when I have played some other stuff.
Last night I had Paul Simons "Negotiations and Love Songs" on and Mrs Nut popped her head round the door and said "Oooh that sounds nice" and she was right, so I feel this cartridge shows the character of an LP more than any others I have owned. It's also possibly the most upmarket MC I have ever had, barring perhaps the MC30 Supreme I wish I'd never traded for the Rondo Blue.
I'd recommend an audition before deciding as its a big purchase if you get it wrong.

A lot in the post so I hope I have given a flavour of what its about.

A.
Old 16th April 2014, 09:44 PM

Just a daft quick one Bob.
AT that price to replace even after the trade in, it may be worth someone like Dom harper or Len gregory re-building it as long as the tie wire hasn't gone twang.

A.
Old 16th April 2014, 09:55 PM

Just put "Made in Heaven" by Queen on the Gyro SE, it's a limited edition coloured Vinyl and has always been a tad noisy and forward sounding. Well the sibilance on Freddies voice is still there and there's plenty of HF info, the background seems quieter, and there's that smoothness that I like about Ortofons. All the same I can hear all that top end. In fact I have just heard some rather high frequency keyboard backing that I never knew was there before.

I had my ears cleaned out yesterday and things are sounding a bit different today too.

I'd be interested to hear what it sounded like with a solid state power amp. I only have Valve power amps these days.

A.
Old 17th April 2014, 07:16 AM

Thank's for all the feedback Andy, I know that I will like the kontrapunct, as I had both the A and the B, sadly the B only lasted 10 months before it got the Orbell fingers, the cadenza, that replaced it was very similar in sound, but channel separation was far better. All I have to do is be very careful, and stop polishing the bloody kit. BOB