World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 7th August 2011, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Computer Problems Windows 7

Cos I set it manually.

My proceedure is

1) **** cleaner scan.
2) Get latest AVG anti virus updates.
3) Set scan with auto switch off.
4) Go to bed.

Takes nary a minute or two.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 7th August 2011, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Ah, that's a good routine I should do more, I just have mine set for 2 scans a weeks on days and times it will usually be on. At least that way it gets scanned and I know why it's slow If it loads the tray icon it does show a tiny white forward arrow on the icon when it's scanning and says scanning when you hover over it btw.
Old 7th August 2011, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry should have said I am not using AVG I am using Shampoo Anti malware both an antivirus and malware in one you can switch between one or the other or have both running at the same time i have tried it Avery which way
Philip if you only scan last thing you are not protected whey you are on line that’s why the software runs in the back ground to keep you protected

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 7th August 2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin.hepburn View Post
Philip if you only scan last thing you are not protected whey you are on line that’s why the software runs in the back ground to keep you protected [/size][/font]
Utterly and completely incorrect.

My anti virus is fully active as long as the computer is switched on.

I honestly cant remember the last time my nightly scan found any problems, or even my Superantispyware scans once a week.

I do my scan that way cos it's more convenient for me.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 7th August 2011, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Utterly and completely incorrect.

My anti virus is fully active as long as the computer is switched on.

I honestly cant remember the last time my nightly scan found any problems, or even my Superantispyware scans once a week.

I do my scan that way cos it's more convenient for me.
OH right the way I read you post was that you did not have it active when online

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s

Old 7th August 2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin.hepburn View Post
OH right the way I read you post was that you did not have it active when online
No, sorry if I confused you. Not much point in having anti-virus if it's not working all the time.

Most anti-virus seem to suggest a full scan at least once a week. But as my computer is online at least 15 hours per day most days I feel daily is better. I will admit that if I'm out most of the day (like today) then I might leave the scan till after the next full days browsing.

Old 7th August 2011, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Right got rid of shampoo anti-virus and am trying Microsoft security essentials again all is well my files are opening fast again even while doing a virus scan at the same time

Old 7th August 2011, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Colin,

Yes as Philip says we are only discussing the scanning settings (ie to check whatever is on the harddrive already). The problem is the default has it running more often than needed.

The AV and ASpyware is still fully active for web and email openings and only last week I had it jump in as I opened a webpage and it blocked a trojan download instantly.

Link scanner is good too as it shows page status before opening (that alert was a link from another page rather than a search engine). Link scanner is part of toolbar.

I have switched off toolbar as I don't want the rest of the clutter though. Best way of installing AVG is to install it including toolbar (there is an option during instrall), then turn off toolbar if you don't want it, as that way it can be turned on or off through tools menu and link scanner is installed and will work. If you don't install it you can't activate toolbar, and link scanner doesn't work, without reloading the programme.
Old 7th August 2011, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Richard/ All
Thanks for the heads up on AVG I still may try it again if Microsoft security essentials throw a wobblier but for now my Computer is working great guns again with most of the start-up reactivated so if it ante broke don't fix it

Old 8th August 2011, 08:50 AM
Bailey

Windows 7 has been giving me headaches ever since I got it. I wanted to buy a laptop with XP but everything available in my price range was 7, there wasn't even an option for Vista! So I got the famous 7 and hating it every day. I don't think the Windows 7 and the Mozilla like each other, cause my Mozilla keeps blocking and freezing, especially when I have more tabs open and it freezes while I'm writing (really annoying). But I am annoyed with Google Chrome and refuse to use it Too many other things to mention, for a long time couldn't be bothered to fix my languages or my Adobe problems, and now even with Acrobat I have a recurring error message that I have to keep clicking in order to open a pdf through the Mozilla. Can't really bring myself to fixing everything, wish I could go back to XP.