World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News News from World Designs

Old 26th September 2006, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Heathrow SOUND & VISION SHOW

All interesting stuff!

So, bring us up to date Darren, do we glean from all this that you make and/or supply the slate plinths to Peter?

Rich
Old 26th September 2006, 12:16 PM

Hi Richard,

To clarify,
I run Slatedeck who design and manufacture the Slatedeck range.
WD promote and supply the products. It's a close relationship and one that allows both parties to concentrate in their particular field of expertise.

Regards
Darren
Old 26th September 2006, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Darren

Thanks for the clarification and congratulations on what looks like a lovely product . Forgive me if you've mentioned your association with WD before on this BB.

May I now politely request that you show your business interest in a "signature" so it appears on the bottom of your posts. "Darren D. Slatedeck - supplier to WD" or similar.

Anyone else involved in related audio manufacture, supply, reviewing etc should also do this. Go to "User CP" > "Edit Signature".

This will enable members to be better informed about the poster, and is standard business practice for anyone other than politicians, as I'm sure we know.

Rich
Old 26th September 2006, 01:16 PM

What phono stage and pre-amp were used? As far as I can see, these are the only bits of the system that can't currently be purchased from WD, so is there something suitable in the pipeline?
Old 26th September 2006, 02:06 PM

We used my WAD PhonoII, CF version of PreII and PSU.

The Phono used CCS and Battery on first stage and RTX caps on output. Input valves where 5751's with Lundahl stepups. 330R loading for the Denon103.

We quickly switched out the CF preII as we settled on a vinyl only source for most of the show fed directly into the WD88VA.

Peter informed me PreIII is in the pipe line, Phono stage will be essentially the same as PhonoII with only slight cct change. PreIII will be a total re-work of PreII cct topology. Case design will be the same IE three separate units as before.
Old 26th September 2006, 02:06 PM

We used Neal G's Pre2, Phono2 and PSU2.

There will be a Pre3, Phono3 and PSU announced in November with the full kit description appearing in Hi-Fi World.

Pre3 uses a new, two valve, circuit with very low output impedance from a transformer that can drive long cables, or anything else come to that. The transformer is specially designed to minimise hum pickup. Input switching is via rear panel relays, as WD88VA.

Phono3 is a small upgrade on the Phono2, principally with the option of vastly improved MC transformers which should rival the best step up devices available for Moving Coils.

At present we are aiming to make both of these backwards compatible with the PSU2 with a small mod. Cases will remain the same size.
Old 26th September 2006, 02:32 PM

Thats not really my decision to make Richard?
Nobodies hiding anything.

Regards
Darren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
Hi Darren

Thanks for the clarification and congratulations on what looks like a lovely product . Forgive me if you've mentioned your association with WD before on this BB.

May I now politely request that you show your business interest in a "signature" so it appears on the bottom of your posts. "Darren D. Slatedeck - supplier to WD" or similar.

Anyone else involved in related audio manufacture, supply, reviewing etc should also do this. Go to "User CP" > "Edit Signature".

This will enable members to be better informed about the poster, and is standard business practice for anyone other than politicians, as I'm sure we know.

Rich
Old 26th September 2006, 02:41 PM

Richard makes a reasonable request butis it WD policy? If so I suppose Peter should start the ball rolling! There may be a few people around here who dabble in selling, designing, supporting, reviewing etc.

Should these disclosures only be made if hifi makes up a significant proportion of your income or can we let those that make only a bit on the side stay under cover?
Old 26th September 2006, 02:49 PM

I think it is reasonable for people to state their commercial interest if they are discussing their products on the forum. As administrator I expect it is clear that I am with WD, and Darren stated himself as originator of the Slatedeck plinth designs from the very beginning.
Old 26th September 2006, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Peter, Darren, Clive, All,

I didn't pick up on Darren's involvement until today which is why I asked him. I hope I did so on behalf of everyone - or am I the only one who didn't know?

My concern is that members reading or looking for advice have all the information and that this BB is open, clear, and honest. I stress that it always has been so to the best of my knowledge.

For example, in the past we've had very welcome posts from Steve 7V who is a well known speaker manufacturer. We all enjoyed his contributions but it was only right that he declared this in his signature. It showed us his knowledge and his financial interest.

I agree with Peter that it would seem logical that it only matters where someone is discussing their own product. In practice though the threads often drift.

Rich