World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Old 16th January 2020, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Any suggestions re; KiT6550 brightness?

pleased to hear its fixed if the Vishay's do not settle as well
as you like ,as I posted before.. the ones from Mathew im very impressed
with think they were £5 or so each

all the best dave
Old 16th January 2020, 09:59 PM
WD Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Caswell View Post
Gentlemen,
Do not let this thread dissolve into a slanging match, otherwise I or others will censor it.
If someone does not like something and says it is "****" respect their opinion, even if you do not like it.
Everyone is entitled to one, which judging by the current press is no longer true.
Go back to the old adage - "sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me"

John
I don’t think Bob or I are getting into a slanging match. We simply have a difference of opinion and we are both expressing that difference. I have no respect for an opinion that declares a product or design as ‘crap’ when clearly it works for people other than the declarer. You yourself were probably the first on this forum to declare that a component change (signal wire is a component) in an amplifier that changes the sound will never be best or better or even a step backwards. What it does is make the amp sound ‘different’ and it is the subjective ear of the owner/listener to decide if this is an improvement or otherwise. There is no right or wrong. Simply what works best for the individual listening.

I appreciate that SPOFC wiring does not work for Bob whilst it does for me. He can privately always regard it as ‘crap’ but publicly (on a open forum), if he respects the views of others, such derogatory terminology is out of place.

PS. It takes a lot for anything said to offend me. I spent 30 occupational years being insulted on a daily basis and I happily ignored it all. Bob has not offended me. Sticks and stones etc is not relevant. All I ask is for something to be referred to as liked or disliked and nothing more with the adage, YMMV. Simples
Old 17th January 2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebms View Post
pleased to hear its fixed if the Vishay's do not settle as well
as you like ,as I posted before.. the ones from Mathew im very impressed
with think they were £5 or so each

all the best dave
Matthew, with two T's please Dave . Bob
Old 17th January 2020, 10:33 AM

well ,at least I got the M, in the right place

dave
Old 2nd February 2020, 09:53 AM

Quick update on the Vishay Caps with just over 2 weeks burn in.

At 1st the Vishay's sounded a little lean and closed in. However, the distortion I was previously hearing had completely resolved itself.

With exactly a week's use the bass filled in and amp began to fill out tonaly but was sounding a little hard across the upper mid to the top.

With another week's use the sound began to sweeten with a very good sense of depth.

All in all these caps provide a very good sound and for the money they are amazing. I would describe them in my amp as sounding very neutral and balanced.

I do however, miss that rosy bloom or to use common langauage, warm and full sound of the Jensen PIO when they were working.

Trouble is I'm now wary of using PIO caps in an amp that gets very hot.

I may try some Mundorf Supremes to see what they might bring...
Old 2nd February 2020, 12:26 PM

Hi Tony,

Glad to hear you have things on an even keel and are enjoying your music again.
Yes, inside a valve power amp is possibly the worst place to put a PIO cap despite their popularity for that use. They can sound nice but are simply not worth the trouble/risk in my view when there is so much choice out there these days.

You are obviously very sensitive to any high frequency coarseness and any upgrades or changes will need to take that into account. I tried the cable you have in you amp myself a while back and found it a little edgy sounding but not seriously so. I should mention that all my interconnects and speaker cables are silver plated and I do not find them forward or coarse in any way. My speakers (old Tannoys) are not the smoothest in the treble and are fairly revealing so I have to be careful in that area myself.

Phil.