World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

View Poll Results: Which source do you use most?
Vinyl 64 47.76%
CD 44 32.84%
Squeezebox/MP3/Web download 15 11.19%
Radio 11 8.21%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th July 2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Poll - Vinyl, CD, Squeezebox/MP3, Radio?

And more or less what I'm doing now. Still need to get that Goldring going, but I'm buying vinyl again, so when I finally do get it into a new plinth, with arm & cart., I'll have plenty to enjoy listening to.
Old 4th July 2007, 10:32 PM
WD Archivist

Hi Lee/Ed,

Thanks Lee.

Ed, further thoughts. I also disposed of a prize library and regretted it later. Over the passage of time with visits to the places mentioned and second hand vinyl shops, I've recovered most of what I always valued. Furthermore, if you are lucky and identify a vinyl trader with a friendly attitude as I did, you can leave them with a list of albums you need and as and when they source them, they'll contact you. It took four years to recover my 'Stackridge' library this way, but I got there in the end. I'd seriously take Lee's advise and go for it. You'll not be disappointed for sure

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 4th July 2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
Hi Ed,

I'd consider your hankering thoughts well. To build a TT like Will or Simon have will not cost a fortune and it'll out-perform (as theirs do) commecial off the shelf products in the tune of £2000 to £3000 (even with a DL103 ). I'm serious on this. Then think back to the days when there was little money in the pocket but you afforded what you could and as time passed you saw your LP collection growing and growing. Then couple that with a few Saturday mornings doing some boot sales (avoid the dealers and just buy from private sellers) or a round of the charity shops and you'll be surprised how quickly and cheaply a quality library will grow at a very reasonable outlay. You may not replicate the library you once had, but be sure you'll still become very content. All IMHO of course.

Best wishes,

Greg
Completely agree Greg. I can't get all my new music on vinyl but what I can I treasure. It does something for me that CD just can't do, and I'm not making a pro vinyl anti CD argument per se. I just prefer it; vinyl is a treat.

New vinyl isn't particularly cheap to buy these days, but a decent TT doesn't cost the earth. The JVC which I used at Owston Ant found on ebay for £18. It takes a bit of talent to find a bargain like that, but even so, it makes a supermarket dvd player look expensive . Okay, I put a Kontra B in it which skews the cost but something more modest would work well too. My 401 is in a cupboard at the moment till I can give it a good service. Including DIY plinth and stick arm it comes to less than £300.

I've got £4k worth of LP12 sat in the same cupboard as the 401 waiting only for me to sell it...

The C3g/Aikido phono stage that Andrew designed is showing real promise. I reckon there's maybe just over £200 of bits in it. Depends on the PSU really.

Step-ups - £80ish from Lundahl or £30ish for old BBC mic transformers from ebay, if necessary.

Do it Ed, you know you want to!

Simon.
Old 5th July 2007, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the encouragement chaps, it is appreciated. Perhaps I will make a move on this in the long term, but at the mo I have 1 speaker(quadratic vertical horn), 2 amp(6J5 srpp -2A3 and hypex 180) projects on the go plus 2 offspring now at uni, not to mention a new grandson....all demanding financial attention....

whats a chap to do except prioritise.....

I do fancy a DD with Vic's air-arm and a library full of 180gm vinyl tho.....

sigh
Old 5th July 2007, 03:45 PM

mostly cd now because of convenience, vinyl is a pain in terms of maintenance, storage, setting up, keeping running optimally

you just stick the cd in the draw and don't have to worry about arm/cart. resonances, loading adjustments, nasty scrunchy noise/pops.

finding nice vinyl at a good price, in good condition, but it gets dusty and needs cleaning, its all just to much trouble for me, perhaps that doesn't make me a true connoiseur/enthusiast?

in another world with more time, and space, great,

I would rather digital had never been invented, and the world was analog, but its not

its partly to do with technology, people wanting smaller, lighter, more efficient things that don't intrude.

lots more entertainment available, previously, people in the 50s, really just went to cinema, seaside, listened to music, and read

and the fact that music isn't cherished anymore, and the latest hit is made in minutes, sells 10,000 plus and onto the next one, just listened for a brief 'hit' then forgotten, a temporary product, an equivalent of fast food

and perhaps background, its no longer a focal feature of most peoples lives, than when the gramophone, valve amps and large tannoys say, were focal features

Last edited by Ianm2; 5th July 2007 at 04:05 PM.
Old 5th July 2007, 04:16 PM

Yep, it seems most people would rather have a 32" TV than a 32" rack full of records.
Old 5th July 2007, 04:46 PM

Location: Sunny Billericay! But may currently be time traveling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnewall View Post
Yep, it seems most people would rather have a 32" TV than a 32" rack full of records.
Or an IPOD thingy.....

Rich.
Old 5th July 2007, 05:04 PM

Still it's great to see 50% of those that voted use a proper front end...at least there is agreement on something here (There's a lot of bickering on other posts which I must say I did not expect of such a site ).

Rich.
Old 5th July 2007, 05:06 PM

i mostly listen to vinyl, but at the mo its radio! after yet another arm dropping incident (me being drunk in charge of a tt a 4 in the morning with a mate who's just come back from iraq this time) im tt less again. (i do have another dd tt, a sony px65 with pua7 arm this time at 14 quid an absolute bargain). but the radio is brill. i was talking to chris at owston about it and i was shocked how good it is with a decent radio. ok the rotel i have was built around 1970 so was built when manufacturers gave a **** about radio but it great to just stick it on and be able to deal with the kids without worrying about it
Old 5th July 2007, 05:18 PM

Yep I think I'd put a decent (FM) tuner way up there....especially on live broadcasts.....if done well they can be mega...... Unfortunately many stations use compression and even worse the digitalians (AKA Daleks!) are taking over here too!

One day I'll rebuild my Troughline

Rich.