World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 27th July 2012, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: pye mozart hfs 20

Jim, what exactly would you like us to do?
Old 27th July 2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Jim, what exactly would you like us to do?
i wanna get loaded and have good time.

But seriously just advice as some of the component are not like i have seen before. I need to find my camera lead so i can take snaps of the bits that are causing me the confusion.

Btw thank you for the assistance so far.

kind regards

jim
Old 27th July 2012, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimangus View Post
i wanna get loaded and have good time.

But seriously just advice as some of the component are not like i have seen before. I need to find my camera lead so i can take snaps of the bits that are causing me the confusion.

Btw thank you for the assistance so far.

kind regards

jim
ha ha amen to that but I'm still not sure what you need to know? Check the circ, find the part, decide if you want to replace it (all the electros for instance) and you may as well put modern diodes in too for what they cost. A bit laborious but you can do it Then fire it up again and check voltages.

The electros are fairly approx anyway so just use the next size and voltage up if needed for an equiv. That double can is used slightly strangley there but the 2 Rifas I mentioned will be fine.

Now we've got the circ just ask if not sure whn making the list

UF4007 will be good for MR1 and MR2 (bias bridge if you find it!) buy a pack of 50 for about 3 quid from RS along with all the electros. Check the resistors and replace any duff ones. Problem wise, assuming good valves, it will be in order of electros, diodes, then resistors.
Old 27th July 2012, 07:16 PM

Aha! found the other bridge rec, its the thing i have been prodding with my finger thinking what the hell is that. it a sentercel silicon bridge rec according to the internet. should be a straight forward swap for a bridge rec on a bit of matrix board.

i may replace the resistors in the power amp as i measured them and cross referenced them to there markings and they where way out.

kind regards

jim
Old 27th July 2012, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Excellent, yes do the elctros and diodes for sure but just a pause for thought on the resistors. These may be carbon compound type (the body is often a sharp rather than round ended cylinder) and many folk try to retain them if near spec for their originality and sound. They can be hard to get if you do need to change them so consider carbon film rather than metal film if you want to keep some of the warmth of the old amp.
Old 1st August 2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Caswell View Post
Hi,

Baggo's comments are not quite right or fair re the Pye HFS amplifiers. they were in the main steam of things but were different and were certainly not entry level.

John
Not quite right? Unfair? Who? Moi? Steady on, John!

Admittedly, the Mozart was better/more expensive than the equivalent Jason or other budget model from Tottenham Court Road but I still contend that the Mozart effectively was "entry level" - although, to make any sense, one has to define the level.

From hazy memory, at this time Pye principally was engaged in television stuff and their foray into the HiFi market in the middle 'fifties was rather clutching at an idea which might improve the company's shaky commercial position. It didn't pretend to be HiFi but the Pye "Black Box" was a gorgeous looking piece of furniture and sounded much better than it had any right to; despite being expensive, it sold in surprising numbers. As far as I can remember, the Mozart was Pye's only involvement with the "separates" market but it must be acknowledged that it did not successfully compete with the likes of Pamphonic, the smaller Avantic and others and certainly not the Verdik Quality Ten. Odd that the company continued to espouse the "old" single-ended concept when everyone else was pushing and pulling with the 5/10 and DTNW was king. The Mozart was not highly regarded in its time (although it was by no means a shocker) and I wonder if in looking back, we tend to see things in a more roseate hue and ascribe to them qualities they did not possess. A bit like summers always being idyllic.

Curiously, perhaps, in 1957 I bought a Philips amplifier which had an excellent performance. But this is best remembered for the bent-wire display which curved up or down in pseudo-log fashion dependent on the tone control settings; visually interesting, sonically useless. If it had been three-dimensional, it could have included Baxandall as well! Actually, Philips manufactured a range of decent stuff (including the Minigroove LP and a small turntable which was marketed by others under such names as TrioTrack and also was used in early B&O equipment) but Philips products were not offered under the Pye banner when the latter was absorbed by Hilversum.

But never mind all that - there are many things in life so much more deserving of our attention . . .

Didn't the girls do well in the rowing?
And the cycling?
And what about the men's gymnastics?
And Preston North End 3-4 away on aggregate?
And do you suppose that Stan Ogden and Albert Tatlock will make it up?

So much has happened while you have been away.

Last edited by Baggy Trousers; 1st August 2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: forgot sumpfink
Old 1st August 2012, 10:49 PM
WD Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Trousers View Post
Didn't the girls do well in the rowing?
Yep, brilliant!

Quote:
And the cycling?
What, the girls?.....no, no, no. Bradley Wiggins and Chris Froom. Again, brilliant!

Quote:
And what about the men's gymnastics?
Much better than expected!

Quote:
And Preston North End 3-4 away on aggregate?
And do you suppose that Stan Ogden and Albert Tatlock will make it up?
You've lost me there! Is that Coronation Street?
Old 2nd August 2012, 07:56 AM

Very good Baggo, and Greg, I am 100% positive that John will like your posts , it made me chuckle anyway.
Old 17th December 2012, 05:35 PM

Ok progress so far. One half completed.

photo on next post

Regards
Jim
Old 17th December 2012, 05:42 PM

Photo hopefully on this one

just noticed that i left the brown ring thing off the power cap DOH!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (127.2 KB, 24 views)