World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Problems For questions and answers re World Designs Projects

Old 8th May 2016, 05:03 PM

Default Re: KEL 84 Strange Noises

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
What is a 70 mile round trip to worry about when you can meet a new friend and get (possibly) a solution to your amp problem ?
No means of getting there (not sure I can cycle 70 miles with a KEL84 in my rucksack).

Last edited by deepdown130; 9th May 2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 8th May 2016, 05:35 PM
WD Archivist

No problem, Gavin. The offer is always there should you decide to make the trip. I know someone in Taunton who could help you should you be near there.
Old 8th May 2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
No problem, Gavin. The offer is always there should you decide to make the trip. I know someone in Taunton who could help you should you be near there.
Thanks again Greg - much appreciated. Taunton is a bit closer (and within easier cycling distance) - I'll PM you if I get to the point where I can't solve it.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 8th May 2016, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

A kind offer from Greg. Be a little bit careful though as RF problems can be a devil and if adjusting feedback and its compensation cap you will need a scope etc.

I tried to help a similar warbling KEL84 but when it was at my house there was no problem Presumably different local conditions caused it at the owners home but not here.

Then only a couple of years ago I had a whistling Quad tuner. I had re-capped it and checked everything I could after speaking with our John and Quad on the phone. Eventually I sent it to them but it didn't do it at their place Alignment was fine so they blindly changed a few components their experience said it might be and lo and behold it was fine when I got it back. A handful of caps and the supply reg had been changed so these things can be very fickle
Old 9th May 2016, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdown130 View Post
No means of getting there (not sure I can cycle 70 miles with a KEL84 in my rucksack). I was enjoying this forum until you commented. What business is it of yours why I would find a 70 mile round trip difficult???
Gavin, please don't take offence of Philip's post, I see him from time to time and can ashore you he meant no offence, he too is very knowledgeable at making valve amps. I agree, cycling 70 miles with or without a KEL 84 on board is too much for me, 37 miles is my best to date, and I was glad to see the finishing line. I hope you get your KEL sortied, some how. BOB
Old 9th May 2016, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdown130 View Post
No means of getting there (not sure I can cycle 70 miles with a KEL84 in my rucksack). I was enjoying this forum until you commented. What business is it of yours why I would find a 70 mile round trip difficult???
Missed that! Yes, to echo Bob, Philip meant no malice. Forums are a blunt tool for communication so always take stuff as being well-intentioned
Old 9th May 2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Missed that! Yes, to echo Bob, Philip meant no malice. Forums are a blunt tool for communication so always take stuff as being well-intentioned
Noted chaps. Evidence of offence removed from my earlier post (put it down to me having an otherwise bad day!)
Old 9th May 2016, 11:58 AM

Glad to hear that Gavin, do you cycle for enjoyment, or do you not drive, I am 63 and try to cycle about 100 miles a week in the good weather, bit of wimp in the winter though. BOB
Old 9th May 2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
Glad to hear that Gavin, do you cycle for enjoyment, or do you not drive, I am 63 and try to cycle about 100 miles a week in the good weather, bit of wimp in the winter though. BOB
I cycle mainly as a means of getting to the railway station to be honest. Not sure I get much pleasure out of it (due to other road users generally). I work in London and sometimes in Bath so it makes little sense to have a car at the moment.

I'm impressed you aim for 100 miles a week - you must be fitter than the proverbial butcher's dog!
Old 9th May 2016, 12:16 PM

Thanks guys, certainly no offence was intended.

As to bicycling, I do about 5 miles per year.

To be honest, I prefer my cycles with an engine.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.