World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 3rd December 2007, 09:47 PM

Default Re: ER Audio Electrostatics - QUAD ESL beaters.

Hi Toppsy,

Colin just to thank you for the offer of a listen, but I will decline, distance is no problem I enjoy driving! yep you've guessed it I must be (am) mad. From what you say they must be great, but just a couple of problems.

In my present space for listening the 1000 x 750 out from the corners would be a problem but furnishings may change in the near future, however due to this and recent upgrades funds won't be available for some time. I'll keep an watch for the next WDFest and maybe get along to one.

May try to beg, steal or borrow some Quad ESL,s just for a listen although the mighty SWMBO would soon want them out so it would be a short listen

Thanks again Trevor
Old 28th July 2009, 01:47 AM

Hi:

Can someone compare the Acorn with Ted Jordan new modules that emulate electros, assuming a linear array of nine modules per side.

Regards

Electro
Old 28th July 2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
Hi:

Can someone compare the Acorn with Ted Jordan new modules that emulate electros, assuming a linear array of nine modules per side.

Regards

Electro
Hi Electro,
I just checked out the price.
£83 x 18 = £1494 just for the 2 inch drivers that would make for a very expensive unproven experimental alternative to the cheaper option of electrostatics! Quad 57's or 63's cost somewhat less than this s/hand (i've seen perfect condition Quad 63's for less than half this).

Of course you would need to marry these tiny units to a much larger high quality bass unit too if expecting low distortion, reasonable sound levels and dynamics.
Old 2nd August 2009, 06:39 PM

Hi everybody:

I am wandering if there are any reviews besides ER Designs site, about the Acorns. I have a price with the new transformers. And there is enough scratch power for a kit. I am not suggesting the kit is not worth it, but it seems to me that some reviews would be nice enough in order to risk the plunge into the full power Acorns. There are Magnepans and some many others planar out there already reviewed cautiously.

I have the Jordan that you spoke about already, just looking for the pure electro sound.

Best regards

electro
Old 2nd August 2009, 09:35 PM

Hi Electro,
I have read a few designers say that it is actually difficult to make a bad sounding full size electrostatic if that helps! (no links or examples i'm afraid).

Same has often been said of open baffle Dipole design and may explain why so many Diy'ers go for that option. This may beg the question if it's that easy why don't we see them all the time in all the Hifi dealers, the simple fact is they are not practical, not visually appealing enough and don't have the right kind of obvious bass for the majority of people.

If you're exclusively into well recorded unamplified acoustic music they might be the right choice for you. If however you also like to listen to amplified, synthesised instruments in equal measure I feel there are plenty of options that will serve you much better.
Old 3rd August 2009, 06:34 PM

I'm in possession of a pair of ESL III's and also a pair of Acorns.The III's are very good but the Acorns are better I think,especially with a direct-coupled amp-the speed is incredible,never heard anything like it. I find the Acorns more refined,and they don't lack for bass to my ears.I think a lot of the perceived bass lightness in statics is just the fact that you are hearing a much cleaner signal than that which is produced by cone speakers in a box.

Last edited by Ali Tait; 3rd August 2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 16th December 2010, 09:23 PM

Hi

Nearly finished a set of Acorns -- it has been a bit of a long row -- mostly due to not doing this sort of thing for the last 30 years.

Much of the way through my favorite music -- and hearing things and timbres to voices that I did not know were there -- even though I do not have bad equipment -- albeit it long in the tooth -- the original Kef 105's
Old 17th December 2010, 07:43 AM

Yes, they are rather good aren't they. A friend is building me a pair of direct coupled amps using GM70's to drive them. I've heard the prototype and it was the best I've yet heard from these speakers.
Old 17th August 2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
Yes, they are rather good aren't they. A friend is building me a pair of direct coupled amps using GM70's to drive them. I've heard the prototype and it was the best I've yet heard from these speakers.
Hey Ali,

Any further news on these amps at all?

Is there a thread for them?

Chuz,

Drew.
Old 17th August 2014, 09:16 PM

Whoops......better subscribe....

Chuz,

Drew.