World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > Members > BB Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BB Problems Report and Reply on any problems using this Bulletin Board

Old 10th April 2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Accessing Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercom View Post
The 'nifty' logo is called a 'favicon'. It is used in the latest editions of IE and Firefox to identify the site. I created the WD favicon this morning. R1 is the icon of Register1 who are our new hosts.

The 'hyped-up diode' symbol is the favicon of vBulletin.
you learn something new every day

thanks Peter

Old 10th April 2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercom View Post
What I suggest everyone does is use the following URL to access the forum:

http://www.wduk.worldomain.net/forum/

Cookies should then work as prescribed.

Reset your bookmark or favourite to the above.
I have just followed this advice and it now works correctly and faster than it did before so thanks for that Peter. The odd thing is that if I access the site using the www.world-designs.co.uk address which is still in my IE7 drop down list of sites accessed, this now also works as it should although I have deleted that address from 'favourites' and it was this URL that was giving all the trouble before.

One of these days I'll understand computers but in the meantime, once again thanks for taking the trouble to sort it out. It's this sort of attention to detail and sorting out difficulties which gives confidence in the products and it's certainly a pleasant change from how this (WAD) board was run before.

Regards

Roger .
Old 10th April 2007, 12:35 PM
WD Archivist

I notice that with the old server, choice of skin was included in the ULR. Now it doesn't, so maybe that's why some are having problems with this.
Old 10th April 2007, 12:46 PM

Remembering your choice of skin was down to a cookie. Solve the cookie problem using the URL wduk.worldomain.net/forum and the choice of skin should stay as selected.
Old 10th April 2007, 12:47 PM
WD Archivist

I've just carried Peter's instructions and it's sorted my problems out as far as I can see. Interestingly the URL changed automatically on Mozilla Firefox, but needed the tweak on IE. Thank-you Peter.
Old 10th April 2007, 01:08 PM

I've just been advised to empty the browsers cache in addition to cookies and that's done the trick.
Old 10th April 2007, 01:36 PM

What I ended up doing, for those who are interested in these things, is set the frame forwarding up on the main site pages only. So world-designs.co.uk still shows in the address bar for the main site.

All subfolders, however, are now showing the 'real' address of wduk.worldomain.net/subfolder/ and the cookies are now set to wduk.worldomain.net which seems to have solved everyone's problems.

So you can still access the forum using world-designs.co.uk/forum/ as this 'virtual' address will point towards wduk.worldomain.net/forum/

FYI we own the domain 'worldomain.net' and will be housing all other domains under it in the future. The reason for using it is to make our sites available from this fast VDSPro host at Register1.net. VDS stands for Virtual Domain Server (see http://www.register1.net/vds.php) where the domains are hosted via one main 'server' domain address. It's an added complication for us to set up but now it is making more sense to me and I am pleased that you can see the benefits in speed and, hopefully, reliability.
Old 10th April 2007, 04:24 PM

Beats me how you find the time...
Old 12th April 2007, 08:12 AM

I have had a shortcut for WD with the favicon logo appear on my desktop not a problem but don't know that could happen apart from that I've not had any problems with the change over and it runs alot quicker now.
Old 13th April 2007, 12:02 PM

Petercom

Just to keep you informed, I accessed the site using your preferred URL today and had to log in again. I'm not sure why as it was working fine yesterday and now I have logged in it seems to be working properly again as I have closed the tab down and accessed the site again.

One thing I have noticed is that on the Hi-Fi World site the link to WD is using the World -designs URL. If you want people to use the http://www.wduk.worldomain.net/ URL then it might be worth asking Hi-Fi World to change this.

Regards

Roger