World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > Members > BB Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BB Problems Report and Reply on any problems using this Bulletin Board

Old 8th January 2006, 08:07 PM
WD Archivist

Default Re: Tweaking the Settings

I've still got the problems I high-lighted at the beginning of this thread. This is a new computer, but similar used to happen on my old one on the WAD forum. Both use XP. I have the 2006 Norton Internet Security (includes firewall) and I'm networked (wired) so use a router which has it's own firewall. I don't know if that's relevant but don't want to leave out anything that needs to be considered.

Accepting the problem is with my system, I'm not sure what I need to do to correct this. I acknowledge the suggestions above, but being a self-confessed Luddite, I'm going to need a bit more detail on what to do/check to correct the problem. I know I can copy posts I've compossed before sending to ensure my message is not lost if I've been logged out so that is an inconvenience but not a problem. I've found the 'remember me' tickbox by log in does not seem to have any effect whether I've ticked it or not.

Any advise gratefully received, but please understand I do need these sort of things explained in Noddy language. Thank-you.

Best wishes,

Greg

Last edited by Greg.; 8th January 2006 at 08:13 PM.
Old 8th January 2006, 09:23 PM

Hi Greg

I can't be specific since I don't know what kind of router you have, but somewhere within the router configuration pages (usually accessed by pointing your web browser at the router's address) there will be a setting for what is usually called 'Idle Time' or 'Idle Timeout'. You need to make sure that this setting is zero to ensure the router does not drop the connection after a period of inactivity.

Router dropping the connection is one possibility for the kind of problem you report.

Hope that helps.

Mark
Old 8th January 2006, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg.
I've found that I can be logged in, interrupt my reading to make a coffee and find on return I've been logged out.
Do you mean logged out of the bulletin board system Greg, or actually logged off your Internet connection ?? Do you use Internet Explorer ??
Old 9th January 2006, 12:26 AM
WD Archivist

Mark, thanks, I'll look at that.

Lee, I mean my log in to the forum has been closed down. I'm on IE and that link remains open. Hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 12th January 2006, 11:32 AM

Hi all.....

i have a custom GIF avatar I would like to use. It is 16k in size. When I use it, it shows up, but is not animated.

Can anone help????

ONE LOVE
Old 12th January 2006, 11:40 AM

It's OK I sussed it out.....I should have read the details properly.....80 X 80 or 19.5 K which ever is smaller......

Oh well.....

ONE LOVE
Old 12th January 2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg.
Mark, thanks, I'll look at that.

Lee, I mean my log in to the forum has been closed down. I'm on IE and that link remains open. Hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Greg
Hi Greg, as you are still having problems can you tell me the number of minutes you have to remain inactive before you are logged out of the Forum? I'll then see if there are any settings within the BB that may help.
Old 20th January 2006, 12:56 AM
WD Archivist

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your attention and I'm sorry for the slow response. Surfice to say, I'm still getting this problem. Others have posted they don't share my experience, but I wonder if they've put it to the test.

Basically, if I'm logged in and either remain inactive for approximately 10 minutes, or I'm writing a reply to a post that takes about the same amount of time or longer, on any command thereafter I'll find myself logged out. Of course, the page I'm on will not indicate this until I either try to submit my new message or return to the index page etc. It is for this reason it is difficult to judge the actual time span as there are no indicators as to when the change happens. Certainly it is frustrating if I've been composing a message and on hitting send, it disappears into the ether to reveal a log on screen when I was already logged on, therefore showing I had been automatically disconnected.

It has been suggested that this is a problem with my own PC settings, but I'm not sure this is correct. I can remain logged into eBay without activity all day long and other sites are the same. In contrast, my banking will log me out as will the RS site if I'm inactive for a while. The security of such sites causes me to expect this.

I'd appreciate if you could check the WD settings to see if it is a forum issue or something I personally need to address. At the moment, I feel it's a WD issue, but always happy to be proved wrong provided someone gives me a solution

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 20th January 2006, 01:31 AM
WD Archivist

Hi Peter,

My above reply turned out to be a classic example of some of the problems I've experienced.

Having completed the message (and giving it a proof read and a bit of thought) I hit the 'submit reply' button and was immediately presented with a 'log in' page. I dutifully logged in and then found that my message had not been lost but had been saved to the thread as intended. Having said that, on other occasions, it's just disappears.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 20th January 2006, 02:46 AM
Lord.

Question Re: Tweaking the Settings

Greg,
I started composing this reply about twenty minutes ago and left it (and the WD Forums) alone until I came back and submitted it. As said before, I don't get this 'logged out' problem that you do. (EDIT - but at least someone does, see below!)

Maybe it has something to do with the change of your UserID from 'Greg' to Greg. within the server's database, it may have changed in some tables but not in others? Did anyone else have this done and if so do they get the same problem? (EDIT - Not the cause, see below!)

Peter/Richard,
On to another issue, what is the time limit on editing posts?
I have no problems with editing a post many times upto a few hours after posting, no matter how many replies it has had. But I cannot edit posts a day or so older, I wanted to tweak my list of stuff in the 'Your kit' thread like I imagine quite a few contributors will want to do at some point.

Last edited by Lord.; 20th January 2006 at 11:29 AM.