World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD Problems For questions and answers re older World Audio Design Projects

Old 28th June 2020, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Purpose of CF mod on Pre2?

Well Bob,
You most certainly offended, as did others, some people almost to the point of them leaving the forum. Commenting that something is **** just when another person has obtained it is not helpful
This is not what we are about, we try to be helpful, not snotty, holier than thou, and most certainly don't slag off products or people or do "flaming", we try to mind our p's and q's.
I remember when I first started writing on here I thought to myself "these people haven't got the faintest idea what they are talking about or doing or even which way they are going" but of course I couldn't say anything, just bit my tongue and tried to lead them the right direction. It seemed to pay of in the end.

John
Old 28th June 2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Caswell View Post
Hi
I am very puzzled by the comment "but all detail,bass and treble are absent."
John
I get the impression from the rest of your comment, that you aren't puzzled by what I meant, but how it could sound so bad. It really did sound terrible.
Note the use of the past tense.
I wasn't going to get the opportunity to resolder all of the joints on the pcb, but decided to stick it back together and have a listen. It sounds really nice on the couple of tracks I've tried, and I suspect, as good as it should.. Amazing what a squirt of switch cleaner on the valve pins can do
I think that it will be easily good enough to allow me to get even more enjoyment from listening to music. As for the bass, I'll have to see what Miranda Sykes' bass playing on Innocents' Song does to the hairs on the back of my neck.
Old 29th June 2020, 02:00 AM

John. Please excuse me for ignoring the rest of your comment. All three items are as built by WAD when purchased by the original owner. This is no longer relevant for the purposes of determining what was wrong, but I thought that you would like to know.
I have spent a couple of hours listening to CDs and LPs, and I am very pleased with what I am hearing. I'm unable to listen using speakers at the moment, so am listening to my HD83 via one of the outputs from the pre2. Nothing appears to be missing.
Old 29th June 2020, 07:13 AM

Eddie, by listening to your music through the head phone amp, the pre II is doing NOTHING, I do hope you will try it using a power amp and speakers, that way the Pre II is in circuit and working then you just might understand my comments about the Pre II. Also I would again like to apologise to you and all others if I have offended. I am only trying to help. Bob
Old 29th June 2020, 10:27 AM

Bob. I played a part of one track through power amp and speakers and there was a very obvious difference, but it wasn't convenient to continue listening. Surely the pre2 is in cct if I have my HD83 connected to the output rather than the tape loop. It certainly degraded the audio when connected in this manner previously and all audio is lost if I power down the preamp.
Old 29th June 2020, 11:20 AM

Yes Eddie, if you connect to the Pre outputs, but the tape outputs no, the tape output is the best way to connect your HD83. Bob
Old 29th June 2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
Yes Eddie, if you connect to the Pre outputs, but the tape outputs no, the tape output is the best way to connect your HD83. Bob
I had already listened via the HD83 when connected in this manner in an attempt to ascertain whether or not the problem was peculiar to the combination of pre and power, so on making a change, I saw it as a valid method of judging whether that change had had an effect.
I have since played a Dave Brubeck Quartet CD through the power amp and speakers. Bass, piano, sax; drums, all sounded fine to me.
Old 29th June 2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
Also I would again like to apologise to you and all others if I have offended. I am only trying to help. Bob

No problem,I'm fine.
Old 29th June 2020, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Eddie, If as you say you had the HD83 fed off the output of the PreII and the audio went poor did it get better the moment you disconnected/powered off the HD83?

John
Old 29th June 2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Caswell View Post
Hi Eddie, If as you say you had the HD83 fed off the output of the PreII and the audio went poor did it get better the moment you disconnected/powered off the HD83?

John
If I understand your question correctly, it would seem that I didn't explain what I had done, clearly enough. What I meant was that, if feeding the HD83 from the preamp op, then the audio reproduced by the HD83 was poor, but if feeding it from the tape loop, then the audio reproduced by the HD83 was good. At no point have I had both the power amp and HD83 powered up at the same time when both are connected to outputs 1 and 2 of the Pre 2.