World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD Problems For questions and answers re older World Audio Design Projects

Old 28th July 2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: WAD Transformer Numbers Help Please

Hi,

I have recently bought a pair of Kel80's - I was thiningk, if the OPT failed, would it be economically viable to get them repaired? This is given that I would have to pay somebody to do it for me. It there anything that I can do to try ensure that they last as long as possible?

Regards
Stephen
Old 28th July 2007, 06:15 PM

Hi-just sit back and enjoy the music !

If,and when you have output transformer problems there are no end of manufacturers to provide off the shelf replacements,or custom built specials depending on the depth of your pocket.

I suppose the only way to guarantee no problems is to not use the amp !

Philip

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 28th July 2007, 09:36 PM

Hi,

Thanks for that Philip. Of course your right...its just that I'm a born worrier and a first time valve user to boot...a worrying combination, if you know what I mean...

Stephen
Old 28th July 2007, 09:49 PM
WD Archivist

I'd expect you to need to replace valves and possibly some components long before you need to attend to the Tx's. It's not so much about them wearing out as being 'taken out' if you have a failure elsewhere or other mis-use (always have a load connected to your speaker outlets when powered up). If the kit is built correctly, stop your worrying. As it's a new purchase, do you know the history? How many hours etc has it been used?

I have no knowledge (other than the original articles) on these amps. If you are a worrier and want to be sure I would suggest investing in a new set of output tubes. The small input ones should be fine. Also take off the chassis base plates and visually explore for any cooked resistors. That is, resistors that are clearly browned and scorched in colour. When you've done that, please report back and we can take it from there.
Old 28th July 2007, 10:38 PM

Blimey! just slipped down a freak wormhole in the time/space continuum that earthlings call reality - but I'm back now ...

good advice Greg. Bear in mind that when measuring bits and bobs in a valve amp you can have the thing 'on the bench' for ages before an output trafo will break down. I wouldn't worry - just get on and listen to the music.

But if you want to have a dek, by all means, look for overheated resistors.

You say you would need a technician to replace the transformers. It sounds like it is about time you took up the noble soldering iron and found out a thing or two. It really is fascinating and as hobbies go, a very worthwhile way to while away the hours, welcome!
Old 29th July 2007, 02:26 AM

Hi,

I will change all the valves, as the vendor quite honestly says that there is quite a mixture attached to them at the moment. However, he does say that he checked the voltages and they measured perfectly in each of the stages. I must say, that I have confidence in the seller, but what I'm not so sure about is if my Consonence T1 preamp will be a good match. I don't suppose anyone can say that until they are actually heard together.

As for taking up a soldering iron - well, to be honest, I don't think naivety and high voltages mix very well! However, I am thinking of getting a simple electronics kit from Maplin's, just to see if I've got the aptitude for this electronics lark. Fellow members have been a big help already, I’m glad to be onboard.

Stephen
Old 27th March 2009, 10:25 PM

Anybody know the manufacturer of the O/P Tx's for the KECL82 amp? I want a small valve amp for my study that won't act as an extra heater! I think they were 7K5/8R.
Old 16th May 2009, 01:42 PM

I've acquired a couple of D9050 mains transformers from Mike Holmes and wondered what they might have been used on,and in particular the 3.15-0-3.15 power rating.

The HT is 345V with no centre tap and they weigh 4KG each.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 16th May 2009, 01:50 PM

Picture of said transformer. The outer shrouds were added by Mike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D9050.jpg (4.8 KB, 16 views)

Old 18th May 2009, 10:27 AM

I had a reply from Graham Luscombe at Grandchain comfirming D9050 was one of their designs and HT is 350v @300ma and the CT heaters are 3.15-0-3.15 @ 7.5A.

So my main question has been answered.

Last edited by pre65; 18th May 2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: addition