World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 26th January 2006, 11:01 PM

Default Re: Gyro Tweaks

What have you made that washer out of Greg ?? I was thinking of using a piece of that very thin rubber that the rubber gloves you get with WAD kits are made of. The main thing though, did fitting it actually do anything, if so, what ??
Old 26th January 2006, 11:55 PM

I have made a washer out of that rubber glove. The rubber is nice and springy, but only a millimetre or so thick. I cut it with a slight lip to overhang the main bearing top surface. Doesn't seem to have effected the platter run out or anything. Doesn't appear to have done anything to the sound either though. Oh well. I will leave it in. Maybe I will spot something subtle after a few records have gone past my ears.
Old 26th January 2006, 11:59 PM
WD Archivist

Hi Lee,

I think I used rubber from a diving suit neck seal but I would imagine a bicycle inner tube would do.

Usual thing; I introduced it at the same time I did the Bluetak thing to the armboard, so I can't be specific. I suppose everything is a contribution and I really feel I have a very realistic balanced sound. Easy to do so suck it and see for yourself. When we had our WAD 300B clone mini WADfest, my six compatriots expressed their opinion that my vinyl source was very well sorted.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 27th January 2006, 12:08 AM

Just out of curiosity, what anti-skate settings do people use on Rega based arms ?? It tells you to set the bias to the VTF of the cart. In my case, this would be 1.5g. Now, the bias setting on the Regas is a little slider. Is the reading measured from the centre of the slider "knob" or the top or bottom edges of it ?? Has anyone got theirs spot on using a test record, and then looked to find that the bias setting on the scale is miles off from the recommended setting ?? Any thoughts ?? I must buy a test record. I have been putting it off, but I suppose I should get one for the sake of having one.
Old 27th January 2006, 12:23 AM
WD Archivist

Hi Lee,

The Rega bias setting is really inaccurate and I wouldn't rely on the factory recommendations. I've had a few Rega based arms and all reacted differently. A magnet is used to provide the anti-skate and I think the strength of the magnet can vary. If you phone Rega they are totally intransigent and insist their recommendations are correct. My method is to use the test LP. When you get to what they call the 'torture track' nothing will properly track it, but you can use this to set your bias so that the distortion heard is balanced between both channels. That approach seems to be right to me.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 27th January 2006, 12:25 AM

....And what does your bias setting read in comparison to what it should be for your cart Greg ??
Old 27th January 2006, 12:30 AM

Hi Lee
would you like the relevent part of John Rogers book on t/t set up (he of Ringmat fame)
send me an email to dcounter(at) blueyonder .co. uk and i'll send you the file

Old 27th January 2006, 12:38 AM

Cheers David. Much appreciated. You have mail.
Old 27th January 2006, 02:13 AM
WD Archivist

Hi Lee,

That is exactly my point. Because it is all so variable there is little point in stating a setting because every arm seems to be different, although if you want it, mine is currently set at 1gm, but I emphasise that is specific to my arm and yours could easily be different. Once again it's a suck it and see situation and you'll be much clearer if you invest in a test LP. With a Rega arm, what the cartridge spec states is irrelevent. It needs to be set up by ear or with help from a test LP.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 27th January 2006, 02:45 AM

Cheers Greg. I will get a test record I think.