World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > Members > BB Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BB Problems Report and Reply on any problems using this Bulletin Board

Old 1st September 2006, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Forum Skins

Hi Greg,

If 500+ other members are not expiencing problems, I think you'll have to admit there is something adrift on your computor.

If you have correctly logged off and on again to no avail, I'm sure Peter is on the right track regarding cookies. For example, when I'm logged in, I have 5 of 'em - last activity, last visit, user id, password and session hash. When I log out I get the message "All cookies cleared" and, on checking, they have all been deleted except "session hash". After, as suggested by Peter, you've checked that there are no others "lurking" on you machine, I suggest you log in and see how many cookies you have, then log out and check for deletions - if they're not being deleted, this could be your problem.

If this doesn't help, try going into the registry (regedit) and after saving a copy (MOST important!!) do a search for something like "wds*". If you get any results, delete them one by one and check again. If things do go pearshape, you can always restore your original settings by loading the file you originally saved (remember where you saved it!). Some people will tell you not to touch the Registry - if you were an idiot, this is good advice but providing you save a copy as aleady explained and you work through it logically you will have no problems.

I must admit I still have my reservations regarding Norton - it has quite a reputation for screwing up systems and, in spite of what you say, it doesn't pick up all viruses/adware etc. There are plenty of better "checkers" out there!

Hope this helps...

John.
Old 1st September 2006, 03:57 PM
WD Archivist

Sorted!

Thanks Nick for the loan of your login. I still had the same problem which did confirm it had to my problem.

None of the suggestions worked but thanks anyway. Certainly something happened when Peter updated the WD home page which I originally used as my own IE home page. In the course of trying to sort the problem out I changed my home page to that of the forum. Of course, the URL has the skin choice as part of the address, the last digit in fact. So regardless of what cookies I deleted, skin changes I made etc, the home ULR never changed and would always open this way. When I imported Mozilla, I just transfered all my IE settings across, thus transposing the problem. I've now set the correct URL and all is back to normal. A simple fault that sure foxed me and some others also

Best wishes,

Greg

Last edited by Greg.; 1st September 2006 at 06:09 PM.
Old 1st September 2006, 05:33 PM

Aha, now why didn't I think of that!

When the answer is obscure, look for the obvious.
Old 1st September 2006, 05:43 PM

Hi Greg,

I was watching your forum woes and trying to think up reasons but couldn't add anything to what others had posted. Sorry I couldn't help, I'm glad you got it sorted! I hate computers! Which is unfortunate since biggest part of my job now relies on them. Software these days is just waaaay too complicated. I wish I'd learned to be something sensible like a Volcanologist or Lion Tamer. Those jobs would be SOOOO much more predictable. :p

Tony