World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 12th February 2018, 08:17 PM
WD Archivist

Default Re: Life after Squeezebox - any advice?

Well, that RME ADI-2 looks very comprehensive be it the basic £600 version or the Pro at more than twice the price. The thing is, I already have a fine Phono stage and Audacity is more than adequate in making digital recordings in flac. I also have a very good dac that doubles as a headphone amp and additionally can be used as a power amp. At the moment I don’t have a reason to use it. Therefore, all I would need is the A to D converter and one could be obtained for much less than the RME asking price.

Anyway, this for me is simply a theoretical discussion because I have as previously expressed decided my own way forward. When I no longer have the physical ability to change or clean records or swap cartridges, I’ll just get the nurse to do it
Old 13th February 2018, 09:17 PM
WD Archivist

<EDIT>

My last post should have read........I also have a very good dac which doubles as a headphone amp and additionally can be used as a Pre amp.
Old 14th February 2018, 11:58 AM

Greg,
the RME ADI-2 Pro has the ADC the cheaper version doesn't. Of course there are cheaper ADCs but still you seem to underrate the importance of the ADC, it' key.

I was wondering do you have experience by way of a friend who has a good vinyl system who has transferred a collection to the digital domain. To get a par result is the same as with vinyl, it can't be done cheaply.

Audacity is fine but you have said that your vinyl still sounds better than anything digital you have - which is my whole point.

People like Michael Fremer have used gear like the Nu Wave and have been happy with the result, so have others and all have said - why bother. When they age and have problems using their vinyl set-up - they will change their minds. I choose to deal with it now while it's still relatively easy. I've always taken the long view on everything - it's p[ersonal choice.
Old 14th February 2018, 11:34 PM
WD Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stuart View Post
Greg,
the RME ADI-2 Pro has the ADC the cheaper version doesn't. Of course there are cheaper ADCs but still you seem to underrate the importance of the ADC, it' key.

I have no doubt that you are correct. I just wonder about a £1400 or thereabouts outlay for a decent ADC. you are after all, paying for all the other functions the unit has. Personally I believe this can be done much more cheaply.

I was wondering do you have experience by way of a friend who has a good vinyl system who has transferred a collection to the digital domain. To get a par result is the same as with vinyl, it can't be done cheaply.

I admit I’ve not actually tried it, but my cynicism does not allow me to expect a digital recorded and reproduction of an analogue piece of music will actually sound as good as the original source. This is another reason why I can’t be bothered with ripping LP’s.

Audacity is fine but you have said that your vinyl still sounds better than anything digital you have - which is my whole point.

Exactcly. That is also my whole point. I don’t believe a digital recording ripped from an LP will ever be as good as playing the original record.

People like Michael Fremer have used gear like the Nu Wave and have been happy with the result, so have others and all have said - why bother. When they age and have problems using their vinyl set-up - they will change their minds. I choose to deal with it now while it's still relatively easy. I've always taken the long view on everything - it's p[ersonal choice.
Fine. What you do should be good for you. For me it is not worth considering because of too much inconvenience, time lost and faff. I’m totally happy with my streamed sound anyway. The fact an LP played raw sounds better is just icing on the cake. I’ll happily save vinyl playback for special occcasions, and will happily rely on carers to switch it on when I am too infirm to be capable. Anyway, when I reach that stage, I doubt I’ll give a damn. Just a bit of music would be fine. Actually, that reminds me of my Dad who was a big classical music lover. Towards the end of his life when he was totally infirm and dependant on caring services, he retained his love of music and was always put to bed with a piece of quality classical music playing. He loved a bit of Elgar, and I now own his collection. In his last few months, his music was delivered from a Sony portable CD player. He was also into his hi-fi but in his end of life circumstance, the music was the main issue and the quality of source actually was not that important. The Sony unit worked fine. Sometimes we simply make things to be too complicated and we need to rationalise the full picture. I admire you for what you are intending to do, but my gut thoughts are that you’ll be wasting your time and money.
Old 18th February 2018, 01:36 PM

Greg,
your an honest man and you don't hide behind b/s and an inflated ego that can't be wrong, sadly too many in the audio hobby do.

It is getting beyond opinions which is what you are stating that is so difficult. Is €1500 really too much for top class ADC/DAC and h/amp, I don't think so.

Maybe I'm very lucky but I have total pictorial recall. One of the greatest pleasures for many and that includes the young is that with an LP there is artwork and info that is there to be held and enjoyed. Electronic books have been taking a dive against the printed word for exactly the same reason.

I can sum up an LP and in my mind's eye I can see the LP's artwork. I never did play tracks but whole sides. So both these issues are irrelevant to me and will save me time in transferring.

Yes the RME has many functions, not least equalisation and the ability to alter bass and treble and balance. It will probably take a few LPs to master and use these functions but once learned I can 'choose' what I want to hear.

I can then listen via cans exactly as I would to just playing my music
through speakers. I do not have and will not in the new house anything like ideal listening conditions, and I remember your listening room was not the best either. That's why so many are turning to quality cans. The other huge advantage is late night or early morning listening.

I would like to try some new speakers but the more I think logically about this issue Reggae/Blues/Classical and file the piece appropriately. Satisfied I can then sell the LP. Pretty soon I will have recouped the cost of the RME, small silent PC, keyboard and monitor.

One further thing - a young woman who has inherited her mother's love of music will receive a copy that she can enjoy through her life. Maybe there will be other young people who would appreciate this wealth of music, wouldn't your children like the same?.

Angela doesn't like a lot of my music, so I can transfer what she does like using the same gear. I doubt that a small dedicated silent PC, keyboard and bog standard monitor will cost more than about £450/500, that way we are both catered for - what's not to like.

Her Technics SL120 with SME mounted 3009 removeableh/shell/ Shure V15 and spare NOS cartridge will more than cover this costs - again, what's not to like.

And all the while I'm getting rid of physical stuff making life simpler - that's my raison d'etre - KISS.