World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 29th March 2006, 10:07 PM
WD Archivist

Default Re: What is your favourite Inter-connect?

Nick Lucas. Really nice guy and very helpful. All his kit is expensive. I only buy from him if there isn't a cheaper or unavailable alternative option.
Old 29th March 2006, 10:39 PM

wow it used to be £4.40 , try homegrown cables
http://www.homegrownaudio.com/bulk_wire.htm
they sell it by the foot

Old 31st March 2006, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
Mark, I have Disraeli Gears and also Fresh Cream from the same year eek was it that long ago Not played them for several years/component changes so will give them a thrash tomorrow. As I recall they were particularly 'orrible recordings so will wind up the level and see if they come to life...

James, you're quite right about CD players also being sensitive to support and surroundings. First time I realised just how much was after making a "holy shelf" for mine supported on spikes. Leo was round when we lifted the player, swapped the shelves to and fro and really couldn't believe the difference. A while later he brought a heavily modded player round for a listen and we stuck it on the floor. It just died, sounded very poor. Then we swapped it onto the shelf and the transformation was remarkable.

The idea was from the Quadraspire(?) ones we heard at Bristol a few years ago and is to support firmly on a light shelf with only a little energy and that being at higher frequencies so not a lot is transferred to the heavier player which has a lower natural resonance.

Tried my player on the floor and it didn't make as much difference to it as his so there's clearly some difference between players themselves and their environment.

I'm really not sure about the extra resolution of vinyl. Certainly some modern recordings are so processed there IS information missing (ie Robbie Williams) but many, inc some older analogue transfers to CD really do have me believing I'm hearing the tape err, OK I am...it's hissing.. I do wonder if what we take to be extra detail is in truth noise (tape hiss, vinyl roar, and rumble) and it sounds soothing, filling in those deathly silent bits that you get with a digital recording on CD. Lately a couple of albums I've been listening to have had the studio noise left in and it really is very convincing of a gig atmosphere. Then again, I had all the early Joni Michel on vinyl and it was only when I got the CDs I realised some clicks and pops were mike knocks and her pedalling rather than a mark on the vinyl. Very reassuring too on rock when you're wondering if the cart is mistracking then you get to hear the guitar crunching beautifully on CD.....

Leo, we should get together and have another cable session sometime, there must be other decent-enough cables. Trouble is a quick listen usually says it all and the plugs get whipped off to use on the next bit of cable don't they. Heaven knows how many we've all tried so I just stick to these as being fairly neutral otherwise it just gets too complicated....

Rich
Hi Rich,

Another cable session would be great, ideally we could do with a load of those phono plugs, I've binned most of the cable I tried because it was either poor sounding or just too impractical to use.
I've still got a couple of types from Maplin, a pair of Cardas (about half meter) and about a meter of the Missing Link, I should have some of that IPL stuff somewhere too.

Anybody tried this from Maplins ? order code FN74R
Old 31st March 2006, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
......there IS information missing (ie Robbie Williams)
I suppose we should all be thankful for small mercies then :p
Old 4th April 2006, 07:47 AM

Cool Re: What is your favourite Inter-connect?

NickG,
last year looking through a car parts mailshot, I saw a set of 'headrest springs', which I thought I might try under my SL120. I never got around to it but always meant to give them a try under the 63KI - now you have convinced me, it's worth a try - they only cost E5.99.

Black Stuart
Old 4th April 2006, 07:56 AM

I would be interested to see what you find, I just tried it for fun first time (thats what they all say) but it seems to make a repeatable difference.

If by any chance its not prior art, then the copyright is retained by me.