World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 27th February 2017, 02:53 PM

Default Re: open baffle speakers or kits

Blimey, i started thinking about this in 2013 its been that long I have grown a beard.

Well after much thinking, general life getting in the way off, then some putting off, more revisiting, more thinking, more reading and finally the urge to actually do something about this after all this time,

more questions than answer as usual oh and Id like to keep this as simple as possible.

So here my thoughts, any advice would be appreciated and please do hesitate to shoot me down in flames!

Option 1 (3 driver OB)
1 – Full Range (likely 8”), was thinking along the lines of either Mark Audio Alpair 12 or Jordan Eikona, 2 Eminance 15” bass drivers.
Can I use a passive cross over, if so any recommendations as this is what I’m struggling to get me head around a bit.

Option 2 ( 2 Driver OB) I like the idea of this one, kinda along the lines of the Spatial OB's
1 Coaxial Compression Driver 15” and 1 Eminance 15” bass driver
Again id like use a passive cross over
The bass drivers are straight forward enough, I really like the idea of the Compression Driver, but not sure where to source etc.

Any help or advice would be more than welcome

Thanks again in anticipation
R
Old 27th February 2017, 05:44 PM

I'd go for the Alpair 12P and an Eminence Beta 15 if I were starting again.

I use the Alpair 12P on my baffles and they are great, just need a lot of running in.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 28th February 2017, 01:16 AM

Currently experimenting with some Altec Lansing compression drivers and Isophon tweeters-

Sounding rather nice so far.
Old 28th February 2017, 10:48 AM

Ali

That looks interesting.

More pondering on my part last night, i may have to rethink the driver sizes a bit as im tighter for space than 1st thought so looking along the lines of the baffle panel being 19" width x 45"ish high using 12" eminence drivers (2) and a full range driver
Old 28th February 2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
I'd go for the Alpair 12P and an Eminence Beta 15 if I were starting again.

I use the Alpair 12P on my baffles and they are great, just need a lot of running in.
Interesting, like the look of the Alpairs, sadly im gonna have to retu=hink the baffle widths as im tighter for space than i though, so likely 12" bass drivers instead of 15"
Old 28th February 2017, 11:44 AM

Two 12" bass could work well with the Alpairs.
Old 28th February 2017, 01:15 PM

Ali likley the baffle size is going to be around 19" wide x 48" high, im restricted for space given there's a low baord sitting between the speakers. Have about "2 feet to the rear wall, but based on what i heard when i was at your home a while back im not to woried bout that. Im gonna be driving these with a 35wpc integrated valve amp, so i think i should be ok power wise.

I think either im a complete idiot or am just not getting the cross over part of this.

Given id be using something like the apliars and the 12" eminence woofer would you suggest a passive cross over is the way to go or not. Obviously there would be a cost either way, but id imagine the cost for a passive option would be less than dropping in a dsp.

I take it i wouldn't get away with or it wouldn't work to simply wire the drivers together?
Old 28th February 2017, 01:26 PM

As regards crossover, this might help. I used the info to do mine with the 12P and an 18" Fane.

http://simonsnewadventuresinhifi.blo...1_archive.html

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 28th February 2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivendell View Post
Ali likley the baffle size is going to be around 19" wide x 48" high, im restricted for space given there's a low baord sitting between the speakers. Have about "2 feet to the rear wall, but based on what i heard when i was at your home a while back im not to woried bout that. Im gonna be driving these with a 35wpc integrated valve amp, so i think i should be ok power wise.

I think either im a complete idiot or am just not getting the cross over part of this.

Given id be using something like the apliars and the 12" eminence woofer would you suggest a passive cross over is the way to go or not. Obviously there would be a cost either way, but id imagine the cost for a passive option would be less than dropping in a dsp.

I take it i wouldn't get away with or it wouldn't work to simply wire the drivers together?
No that would not work well, you need a crossover of some description.

Yes I'd say the passive route will be cheaper, not least for the fact you'd need two stereo amps to run actively.

Phil's link will sort out what you need.
Old 28th February 2017, 04:27 PM

Ali, Phil many thanks to both of you for the input, once i get things underway i will drop some images of how things end up looking.

Dont hold your breath though im taking my time

All the best Rob