World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 20th March 2018, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Maplins going under as well

Hopefully, Asda, Tesco and Morrison's. BOB
Old 20th March 2018, 09:27 AM

Or, all betting shops and all fast food shops for a start.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 20th March 2018, 11:02 AM

Nice one Philip, .BOB
Old 20th March 2018, 11:52 AM
WD Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Or, all betting shops and all fast food shops for a start.
That’ll free up a bit of space for a few more charity shops. You’ll be spoilt for choice when hunting for those rare Max Bigrave and Mrs Mills albums
Old 20th March 2018, 12:26 PM

But I don't like Max Bigrave's, but Mrs Mills, fabulous,. BOB
Old 20th March 2018, 12:29 PM

bikerman - many a word spoken in jest. When I was living in the Netherlands at the end of the 70s' the coalition government (The Dutch have always had coalition government) ruthlessly cracked down what could be won on one armed bandits (brilliantly named) and on bingo.

Gambling is an addiction, like hard drugs, some forum members know my opinion on how I would eliminate that problem, same goes for gambling.

UKers are now the most obese people in Europe, with Scotland leading the way. This is an unnecessary cost to the NHS - close down all the junk food shops and ban the production of same for sale in supermarkets, most people are far too lazy to actually make this junk food themselves.

The UKers were at their most healthy with sensible rationing in WW11- just imagine how much money people would have left to invest in their future if they cut all the **** out of their lives. We often have a main meal that costs less than €1 per head, I doubt if we spend more than €50 pw, not because we have to.

With a small **** commercial French beer in a bar @ €2.50 we don't drink out and I hear that a pint in most UK pubs is now £4 a pint. I was outraged when this last autumn my favourite generic Languedoc red went up to €2.20. I'm told that the same wine in the UK would be around £7. If I were to return to the island I would become teatotal.
Old 20th March 2018, 01:29 PM

Stuart, I agree totally with your comments on junk food, some people have no respect for their body, but, British real ale, yes, it is true that city pubs are charging crazy prices, but we have a local some 12 miles away that has 6 different real ale's most weeks for £3.00 to £3.20, we always cycle there and back every Sunday, as for red wine, you can keep it, it always tastes like vinegar to me, and before anyone says try a expensive red, I have, with the same results, now Whisky's, . BOB
Old 21st March 2018, 02:07 PM

Bob,
good red wine doesn't taste like vinegar. When I met my partner Angela she made the same comment about red wine. Many Brits copied what the French bought, this was decades ago and found that the ordinary French were indeed drinking vinegar.

A lot has changed since the 80s, notr least the young Antipodean winemakers flew in and educated the makers of vin ordinaire so much so that today It's not worth paying serious money for good wine, red or white in France.

As I said the wine I pay €2.20 for would easily cost £7 pb in the UK. Forget Lidls, their wines are all hype - look for wines from the Pay D'oc, excellent value. don't forget you should always open a red wine hours before consumption - room temperature is not a joke. Decanting and getting some oxygen in is a good idea.

My wife drinks a Pay D'oc Sauvignon Blanc @ €2.70 served very chilled. If you ever get to France try an Intermarche s/market and look for any Expert Wine Club wines, not exzpensive and never had a bad one yet - this Sauvignon Blanc will never disappoint. For a wonderful mix of slightly sweet and dry taste look for a Gros Manseng, again serve very chilled. It's weird with white wine, the more chilled, the more taste and bouquet.

Bob - you need to lose your 'attitude' to red wine and Chinese made goods.
Old 21st March 2018, 04:13 PM

My opinion on red wine remains, it's a bit like Marmite, you either love it or hate it, Oh, and my attitude won't change, . BOB