World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 4th May 2014, 09:44 PM

Default Re: New members

Sorry for the delay in responding. I work out of the country and have just got back from a weekends racing at Olivers Mount Scarborough. After reading the rest of the correspondence I realise where Greg is coming from however I hope now the dust has settled he can see the reason for my response from somebody who does not know the workings of this Forum. I will disregard his derogatory comments about me as I think they were made in the heat of the moment. In response to Richard and Bob, My Hifi is Void Valdi deck with Ittock arm and ortophon MC cartride. Ben Duncan PAS 2 passive preamp, a pair of Hi fi world Mullard 20-20 powers amps. Tannoy Mansfield HPD speaker. With secondry system of Marantz CD10 and 6005 CD players, Audio Innovations series 300 valve amp and snell K speakers. As others I have many other pieces of Hi Fi in cupboards bought over many years. My motorcycles are Honda Africa Twin, 916 SPS Ducati, 2 Velocettes, a Norton dominator 650 and a much modified featherbed frame ES2 Norton which i have bored and stroked form 500 to 640CC. It runs on methonal and I race it in Hill Climbs. I have various pieces of Engineering equipment (bob if your interested I can list them) and I’m self taught in Engineering. I’m semi retired but at present work abroad as a Transport Consultant. Hope this fills in the blanks cheers Peter
Old 4th May 2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithblue3 View Post
Sorry for the delay in responding. I work out of the country and have just got back from a weekends racing at Olivers Mount Scarborough. After reading the rest of the correspondence I realise where Greg is coming from however I hope now the dust has settled he can see the reason for my response from somebody who does not know the workings of this Forum. I will disregard his derogatory comments about me as I think they were made in the heat of the moment. In response to Richard and Bob, My Hifi is Void Valdi deck with Ittock arm and ortophon MC cartride. Ben Duncan PAS 2 passive preamp, a pair of Hi fi world Mullard 20-20 powers amps. Tannoy Mansfield HPD speaker. With secondry system of Marantz CD10 and 6005 CD players, Audio Innovations series 300 valve amp and snell K speakers. As others I have many other pieces of Hi Fi in cupboards bought over many years. My motorcycles are Honda Africa Twin, 916 SPS Ducati, 2 Velocettes, a Norton dominator 650 and a much modified featherbed frame ES2 Norton which i have bored and stroked form 500 to 640CC. It runs on methonal and I race it in Hill Climbs. I have various pieces of Engineering equipment (bob if your interested I can list them) and I’m self taught in Engineering. I’m semi retired but at present work abroad as a Transport Consultant. Hope this fills in the blanks cheers Peter
Welcome Peter.
I would have been up at Scarborough for the festival of speed on one of the days at least but I was working late shift friday and early today, and in another thread you'll see my tale of woe from picking up punctures in both front and rear tyres on my Triumph Sprint ST
Instead I took Mrs Nut out in our very slow and temperamental Royal Enfield sidecar outfit to a cafe near leyburn where allegedly they were holding a bash as part of the charity appeal run by Guy Martin. Needn't have bothered.......................... Dull as ditchwater.
How did you do on the hillclimb? We used to be regulars at the Barbon Sprint which was always very entertaining.
Anyway its nice to see a member not too far away. If you're at home for the cock of the north in July I am intending to be there all weekend, either camping with the bike or in the VW camper with the missus, and probably various motley family members and mates.
Regards.

Andy.
Old 4th May 2014, 10:44 PM

Hi Andy

Won the vintage class, beating many modern 400s time and mid way into the modern 600 class. might be watching at the July meeting but I'm taking part in the Barry Sheen classic parade laps. The Old Nortons very quick and certainly makes the modern lads sit up and take notice. It's highly modified and runs 15 to 1 compression ratio.
Cheers Peter
Old 5th May 2014, 01:41 AM

Hello Peter and welcome.

I find that text can often miscommunicate one's ideas and/or feelings. Such are the perils of modern society/culture. However fast and convenient, we can all be very easily misunderstood.

Never mind, I think we all appreciated your considered response. It is appreciated I'm sure.

Justin.

Last edited by justin brown; 5th May 2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 5th May 2014, 09:05 AM

Thanks Justin
Old 5th May 2014, 09:51 PM
WD Archivist

Quote:
After reading the rest of the correspondence I realise where Greg is coming from however I hope now the dust has settled he can see the reason for my response from somebody who does not know the workings of this Forum. I will disregard his derogatory comments about me as I think they were made in the heat of the moment. Peter
Hello Peter,

I have some thoughts on your comments, but I'll convey them by PM. Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will have a lot to offer. Your kit is interesting and your motor bike hobby will also be of interest. I hope your membership here will be useful to you and cause you to contribute further for others benefit.

Greg

Last edited by Greg.; 6th May 2014 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Pacivication
Old 10th May 2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Right, having a few moments to spare this morning (yes-really ) I did a little experiment on non active members.

I selected members with user names beginning with R - no particular reason.

Total members in R section = 187

Those who have not posted in last 12 months = 163

Of those 163, those who have never posted ever = 116

But, if we accept Gregs theory about nefarious use there may be more recent non posting members mis-using the PM function.

I'd be happy to offer my services if required to help cleanse the membership list.
Of course, it could be that the high proportion of members shown as inactve is a reflection of the difficulty to be found in cancelling membership. There is no obvious mechanism, at least, not one obvious to me, whereby this might be achieved.
Old 11th May 2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Hi Andy

Won the vintage class, beating many modern 400s time and mid way into the modern 600 class. might be watching at the July meeting but I'm taking part in the Barry Sheen classic parade laps. The Old Nortons very quick and certainly makes the modern lads sit up and take notice. It's highly modified and runs 15 to 1 compression ratio.
Cheers Peter
Good Lord, that C/R is approaching diesel compression, any way, welcome Peter and thank's for the offer of some pictures of your engineering kit, ermm, how can I say this without offending, well over my working life, I have seen and worked machines that to most are frightening, some have made modern CNC machines look quite docile, but its all over now, finished at 55, whora, no more being told what to do by pratts. BOB
Old 11th May 2014, 04:57 PM

Hi Bob
Thanks for the welcome. Motorbike runs 15:1 compression ratio so that I can run it on Methanol. More power than petrol and being a thrifty Yorkshire lad cheaper to buy. It produces just over 50 BHP at the back wheel.
My machinery nowhere near as sophisticated as what you used. It’s one step up from the chalk mark and piece of string system! Still accurate and does the job. It’s produced amongst other parts the Barrel, Crankshaft and machined a pair of crankcases from blank castings. Takes a while but gets there.
Are you still retired or have you rejoined the gang?