World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > Forum Funding!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Funding! PayPal contributions to sales@world-designs.co.uk are much appreciated :)

Old 6th June 2020, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Begging Letter

Came across this whilst looking for values for a stepped attenuator for my pre III.
To me the forum is an occasional, but extremely valuable resource, without which I would have a bog-standard hifi bought from a shop like most people.
Instead I have an outstanding system, have learnt a lot, and been kept quiet for hours at a time building stuff. (My wife especially likes the latter)
I was wondering if it was possible to send out an e-mail to all the registered users to inform them and help the process along?
In the mean time donation made.
Many thanks everyone
Mark
Old 14th June 2020, 07:51 AM

I am only an infrequent poster here and occasional reader (hence only seeing this thread about a month after it was first posted). Whilst by no means an experienced DIYer, I have been very appreciative of both the resource to read and the direct responses and help I have gratefully received here when I have occasionally asked for assistance.

Very happy to make a donation and have just sent one across.

Thanks all,

Chris
Old 14th June 2020, 11:28 AM

I second everything that vitalstates posted.

Surely there are other IT men than Steve Poskitt who was disgusted at the bullying meted out by a crowd who were nothing like the original members and who chased away so many good people.

That was when this forum deteriotated and it has never really recovered. Also as vitalstates said - surely this is an allowable business cost anyway.

The focus of this site is too narrow but maybe Matthew does'nt want to expand what he sells.

Take a look at other audio sites, most consist only of mutual backslappers and when the oldtimers die so will these forums.

diyaudio is an exception along with a few others.

It's also a question of numbers and age - too many oldies tied to the past. The young are mostly 95% quite happy with Iphone music that's the reality.

I think form those who get something from the WD forum a yearly sub is a god idea. I've removed myself from a lot of forums of all types since they no longer have any positive meaning for me.
It really should'nt cost anything like £300 p.a. as vitalstates said, Matthew needs to address this and find out if there is an IT man who can occasionally fettle the software.
Old 15th June 2020, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Stuart,

Yes, the forum’s 20 years old and has had 5 different owners with ups and downs along the way. Matthew is one of nicest guys you could hope to meet but what he can do product-wise is very much down to what the market and consumers want, and what his own risk and financial limitations will allow.

The forum itself is running old software and he does rely on some help and a particular hosting company to keep it on the road. He’s hoping to update it which would allow cheaper “hands-free” hosting but it all takes time and effort and a modest amount of cash. (Remember you only save the tax on a deductible cost, not the cost itself, so around £60 not £300 might be reclaimed.)

The market’s changed quite a lot these last 20 years and different owners have viewed the role of this forum differently. What is apparent is that owning a “hi-fi” and collecting physical music are no longer the must-haves they used to be.

Computers, network and phone subscriptions, big TVs, and the cost of living take disposable cash for many. Others are still happily using the kit they built 10 to 20 years ago and not looking to buy again.

Anyway, all members are very welcome, many do come back from time to time as suits them, and it’s great to hear from them
Old 30th June 2020, 10:49 AM

Hello All,
Is there any way we could set up an annual payment say by DD would be so much easier rather than having to remember PayPal year, just a thought.
Old 1st July 2020, 02:44 PM

Hi all
I have been a member since 2006 and have had a lot of help from many people on this forum, which I am most grateful for. I would be more than willing to make a donation but do not have a Pay Pal account and don't really want to create one. Is there any other way to make a donation?
Old 1st July 2020, 05:22 PM

Archie, ask Matthew for his bank details and you can, I hope, proceed with bank transfer. Bob
Old 18th July 2020, 12:41 PM

Amazing a positive comment without sarcastic remarks from Bob - whatever next.

I don't like Paypal or as more commonly known - Screwyoupal. I have a UK bank account and sending a donation via my bank is a good idea.

The one problem with Matthew supplying bank details is that scumbags might be able to use this info to rob him.

I'm lucky I use Linux,I only ever got one malware attack and that was when I was using **** Windows. My new mini silent PC comes with Windows Pro, that's going and I will install Linux Manjaro.
Old 18th July 2020, 01:29 PM

I don't think anyone can do anything bad with my bank details (loads of people have them printed on their invoices!) but, being a cautious fellow, won't publish them here.

Anyone is welcome to email or telephone me for details to donate this way.

07972 055492
sales@world-designs.co.uk

Thank you all ...
Old 19th July 2020, 09:41 AM

Matthew,
very sensible. Email accounts can be hacked, ironic is'nt it that snail mail is the most secure until a certain party decides to set up Securitate/Stazi type operation and literally read the snail mail.

I have a friend in Turkey who was seriously worried about life there for his son before Erdogan cracked down and he knew that the 'security forces' were hacking email accounts of those who 'they thought' were a danger to the 'State', he is a computer engineer.

I shall phone, it costs me nothing extra to my monthly fee to phone landline to landline to 90 countries worldwide "hello GCHQ arte you there".