World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 4th May 2012, 05:52 AM

Default Re: Motorbikes.

When its raining/snowing/foggy/windy/hurricane/tornado and I put my boots on .... I just 'man-up' and get on with it

Carrier bags is for girls that go shopping innits...

Arf arf arf! (etc)

DTB
Old 4th May 2012, 07:24 AM

Wellygogs, chaps, 100% water proof and mud proof, Iv'e been thousands of miles in the wet, only to find at the end of my ride I have dry feet, shame about the wet cold hands, oh, and the dirty bike.
Old 4th May 2012, 08:38 AM

http://www.dickiesstore.co.uk/workwe...ots/fw13105/0/

+

http://www.dickiesstore.co.uk/workwe...ets/sa22045/0/

+

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/oxford...-original.html

=
Old 4th May 2012, 03:23 PM

Thank's Dave, I like it, but being in my 60th year I don't get cold or wet anymore, I use a car, the motorcycles are now for when its 25c in the shade.
Old 4th September 2012, 10:01 AM

Only 60 young Bob ?

I'm a little bit older and still thrashing round fields on my trusty TriBSA. Mind you, before long I might be needing new knees as well.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 11th September 2012, 09:50 PM

Greetings fellow Motorbicyclists!

On a tangent, I knocked up a wee gizmo for a mate who wanted a means to charge his USB phone and power the odd USB Gadget, eg MP3 player etc.

After a bit of head scratching, I cut the plug end off a USB "A" extension cord and wired it into a simple regulator. I just used a 78S05 5V 2A fixed reg, with a couple of decoupling caps on the input and output legs as per the Data sheet. I did intend to knock it up on a bit of veroboard but soon realised that I could actually solder the caps and wires direct to the legs of the device. Then it was a matter of a bit of PVC insulating tape to prevent shorts and finally encapsulation in Heatshrink wrap. I didnt expect much of it, but was pleasantly surprised as to how effective it was. It's soak tested well and draws 100mA while charging my HTC ONEV Android phone so it hardly runs warm.
I guess we could have just bodged a Cigar lighter socket with a plug in style USB adaptor, but the idea was to make something that could be fitted neatly under the seat. Actually, mate intends to install it in his topbox with a weather proof plug and socket to provide the volts from the battery.
All made from stuff in the parts bin, but even at Maplin price it's only just over a quid for the regulator.
Anyone else got any tips or done projects to allow running of electronic devices on the move or whilst plotted up?
I hasten to add that my mate will be exhorted to put a suitable fuse in the circuit. I don't feel happy running stuff like that off a 10 amp accessory fuse.
Old 11th September 2012, 10:01 PM

Greetings fellow Motorbicyclists!

On a tangent, I knocked up a wee gizmo for a mate who wanted a means to charge his USB phone and power the odd USB Gadget, eg MP3 player etc.

After a bit of head scratching, I cut the plug end off a USB "A" extension cord and wired it into a simple regulator. I just used a 78S05 5V 2A fixed reg, with a couple of decoupling caps on the input and output legs as per the Data sheet. I did intend to knock it up on a bit of veroboard but soon realised that I could actually solder the caps and wires direct to the legs of the device. Then it was a matter of a bit of PVC insulating tape to prevent shorts and finally encapsulation in Heatshrink wrap. I didnt expect much of it, but was pleasantly surprised as to how effective it was. It's soak tested well and draws 100mA while charging my HTC ONEV Android phone so it hardly runs warm.
I guess we could have just bodged a Cigar lighter socket with a plug in style USB adaptor, but the idea was to make something that could be fitted neatly under the seat. Actually, mate intends to install it in his topbox with a weather proof plug and socket to provide the volts from the battery.
All made from stuff in the parts bin, but even at Maplin price it's only just over a quid for the regulator.
Anyone else got any tips or done projects to allow running of electronic devices on the move or whilst plotted up?
I hasten to add that my mate will be exhorted to put a suitable fuse in the circuit. I don't feel happy running stuff like that off a 10 amp accessory fuse.
Old 13th September 2012, 09:54 AM
crim-son

Hey there,

I wanna join the club! I bought my Yamaha XT 600 about 10 years ago and sometimes go for a ride on the weekend. I'm more of a fair weather rider though, the misses wouldn't let me take it when it's raining outside... You see who wears the trousers at home
Old 13th September 2012, 10:28 AM

Ah, I see what you mean, your good lady wears trousers, so you must wear the kilt. BOB
Old 13th September 2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crim-son View Post
Hey there,

I wanna join the club! I bought my Yamaha XT 600 about 10 years ago and sometimes go for a ride on the weekend. I'm more of a fair weather rider though, the misses wouldn't let me take it when it's raining outside... You see who wears the trousers at home
Perhaps the thought of endless hospital visits to see you on a life support machine is not that appealing to her ?

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.