World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

View Poll Results: Are you mainly CD, Streaming from PC/NAS, or Streaming from the Web?
CD 6 42.86%
Streaming from PC/NAS 7 50.00%
Streaming from Web 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th October 2015, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: New Poll - CD, Streaming from PC/NAS, Streaming from Web only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The CD transport is just delivering 0's and 1's but how effective they do that can differ greatly, I thought I knew how good my dac was but not so, feed it a different transport and the improvement was like night and day.

The Linn system did impress but the complete presentation lacked, I heard 30 minutes later another system that had great synergy consisting of KEF R700 Floor Standing Speakers, Musical Fidelity M6si Amplifier, The Pro-ject RPM 1 Carbon turntable, great set-up just over £4k.

I would love the ease of using a server and streamer and will monitor it's progress.

Chris.
Yes indeed to that all SPDIF outputs aren't the same and the sound isn't solely dependant on the DAC either. Results for me so far are positive and I'll keep listening and tweaking
Old 7th October 2015, 10:47 AM

Default Re: New Poll - CD, Streaming from PC/NAS, Streaming from Web only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Last month I visited Nottingham and had the chance to listen to a £20k plus Linn system, with their active speakers and streamer, I found it to be very analytical to a point of being harsh and flat.

Chris.
Hello Chris,

That reminds me of years ago when Linn used to go to the Bristol HiFi show. They had the biggest room, on the ground floor. It was usually busy in there but I thought the sound was always pretty poor. It was "big" sounding but totally flat and lifeless. You could then go upstairs to one of the "bedrooms" and hear some exotic valve based system with gear you had never heard of, that sounded transparent, colourful and engaging. The Linn room always sounded like giant transistor radio in comparison.

Just my opinion of course but maybe that is the "Linn sound" you were hearing?

Ducking ready for insults, Phil.